DR550 Mount Adhesive

frog1520

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I recently installed a DR550. Its quite good, except that during hot weather, the windscreen gets hot and the adhesive on the mounting pad weakens and the camera moves about. Today I got back to the car and found the camera had fallen off, and was hanging by the wires....

Anyone else have this problem? Whats the best adhesive to use that will survive the heat?

I previously had a smaller dashcam and never had any problems with that - presumably the DR550 is a bit more of a problem due to its weight!

Thanks!
Frog

Hello everyone,

I recently installed a DR550. Its quite good, except that during hot weather, the windscreen gets hot and the adhesive on the mounting pad weakens and the camera moves about. Today I got back to the car and found the camera had fallen off, and was hanging by the wires....

Anyone else have this problem? Whats the best adhesive to use that will survive the heat?

I previously had a smaller dashcam and never had any problems with that - presumably the DR550 is a bit more of a problem due to its weight!

Thanks!
Frog

You can try the 3M Mounting Tape which is transparent.
4010 Scotch® Heavy Duty Mounting Tape

hmmm... got the same setup with the original 3m tape which came with it and no problems here !

I have the same setup and not had any issues with mine either .... did you clean the glass before sticking the mount on ? try some alcohol wipes or something like that and then use the spare pad that comes in the pack.

Thanks for the info... strange isnt it..

So far, I've tried the original pad, no-more-nails tape, and most recently 3M VHB tape.

No-more-nails tape seemed to be the best, but ultimately all three options have failed....

I am sticking most of it over the black dots on the windscreen - I wonder if that has any affect...

Having said that, when the VHB tape failed, the tape was still stuck to the windscreen and came off at the camera!

Rear camera seems OK, presumably cos its lighter...

hmmmm... I'll try a few more options and report back!

Thanks!
Frog

what are you cleaning with prior to applying it?

also it takes about 24 hours to achieve full bond, clean your surfaces and attach your bracket, press and hold firmly for a few minutes but don't put the camera on for a day if possible

Well you must be doing something wrong as the tape that is holding my camera in the rental car has been in 3 previous rentals on this trip and I have carefully removed it and reinstalled it.

3M say you shouldn't do that but camera has done 7600 mils and not fallen off. Temps OUTSIDE the car have reached 108F and when I removed camera the other day in UTAH it was almost too hot to touch but was still working and tape has not come loose . Incidentally I have just given screen a wipe with a cloth before applying tape.

You shouldn't apply it on the black dotted area as it will only touch the raised dots which would be about 10% of the total area you are applying it to.

Back