Tristate dashcam laws, if any.

DocHudson

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in NY but quite often I cross the state lines into CT and NJ. Can anyone flash some info about the dashcam laws in tristate?

The reason I want to install dashcams, ideally to record strange animals on the road, like unicorn :)
2 weeks ago, I witnessed a crash where the driver of a flashy car was speeding in right lane. A van was pulling into the gas station but noticing this speeding fella, he slowed down. The van was taking a legal turn, but the flashy car driver could not control the vehicle and assumed that the van is turning left, he turned left too, hitting the van on drivers side, running onto incoming traffic and finally in strip mall parking lot. Good that incoming traffic was stopped by the light, else there could have been injuries or even deaths.
I had an engagement to attend so I had to leave. I called up within next 10 minutes to 911, informing about the crash and they were already on the way but I wanted to tell them that the guy was speeding. Before I could give them my info, my android restarted. Don't ask me why, typical Murphy's law. On my way back, I stopped by the police station and the officers really gave me a really cold shoulder. Essentially, they told me in nice words 'If you wanted to be a good samaritan, you should wait for the officers at the site of crash, but now that you are here, you better f*** off'.

The van that got the hit of the flashy car was badly damaged and most likely totaled. I honestly felt sad for the van driver/owner. A video could have certainly helped van owner getting some justice.

I am considering dashcam, but as the knowledge of the local PDs are not really that helpful, and do not want to get into any legal mess with them. I am considering using phone as a dashcam, as installed dashcam certainly attracts police attention. I will be glad if someone can give idea about the laws.

Thanks in advance.

Back