Dash cam hidden in mirror ?

mark767

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just wondering why the makers of these cams don't integrate them into a rear view mirror. I would like to have the cam shoot front and rear and also operate as the rear view mirror with dimmer....seems to make a lot of sense as well as be much more difficult to steal as it is concealed. Anyone know if this exists?

mark767 said:
Just wondering why the makers of these cams don't integrate them into a rear view mirror. I would like to have the cam shoot front and rear and also operate as the rear view mirror with dimmer....seems to make a lot of sense as well as be much more difficult to steal as it is concealed. Anyone know if this exists?

they exist already, there's a few problems with them and I wouldn't say they were an ideal solution at this point in time, the full replacement mirror is the best type but not universal so it means dealing with multiple models and not all vehicle types are supported, the companies that make great mirrors that have put a DVR inside them for some unknown reason have only done 720p versions which seems a waste

Thanks for the info. Sounds like just a matter of time until this option is perfected.

mark767 said:
Thanks for the info. Sounds like just a matter of time until this option is perfected.

I don't believe it will be the solution for a lot of cars but for the ones where a replacement mirror is a valid option it would be a good solution, when they up the spec at least

As Jokiin already said there are mirrors with built in cams. I thought also this would be the best solution but it's not.

The mirror dvr I tested is a complete replacement. It's only recording in 720p which is enough for me. but the mirror is pretty big it looks crappy and is way too big it just looks very funny unless you have a very big car or suv maybe.

And this one also had a display in it. Of course that makes the mirror bigger as it must be and I don't want a display in my car dvr at all.

germany said:
As Jokiin already said there are mirrors with built in cams. I thought also this would be the best solution but it's not.

The mirror dvr I tested is a complete replacement. It's only recording in 720p which is enough for me. but the mirror is pretty big it looks crappy and is way too big it just looks very funny unless you have a very big car or suv maybe.

And this one also had a display in it. Of course that makes the mirror bigger as it must be and I don't want a display in my car dvr at all.

I think it could be if it was built on a good mirror, I've dealt with the factory that makes these mirrors before http://www.rydeenmobile.com/Backup%20Mo ... V311S.html and the mirror itself is an excellent product, very OEM looking, top quality, build a good DVR in one of these mirrors and it would be a great product, harder from a retail perspective as with these types of mirrors there are a lot of different models needed to accommodate different model cars so the inventory needed drives the price up, there's a couple of others that make this kind of quality mirror but to date I haven't seen any that have done a decent DVR version, a couple have tried, while they make great mirrors they made very poor choices in design and whoever they worked with for the solution, all have been very ordinary quality wise (720p at best) and questionable aesthetically

Last edited by a moderator:
jokiin said:
germany said:

I think it could be if it was built on a good mirror, I've dealt with the factory that makes these mirrors before http://www.rydeenmobile.com/Backup%20Mo ... V311S.html and the mirror itself is an excellent product, very OEM looking, top quality, build a good DVR in one of these mirrors and it would be a great product, harder from a retail perspective as with these types of mirrors there are a lot of different models needed to accommodate different model cars so the inventory needed drives the price up, there's a couple of others that make this kind of quality mirror but to date I haven't seen any that have done a decent DVR version, a couple have tried, while they make great mirrors they made very poor choices in design and whoever they worked with for the solution, all have been very ordinary quality wise (720p at best) and questionable aesthetically

They would need to build a huge inventory to suit difference models of cars

Eg my car has auto dimming head light sensors, rear view light dimming and another sensor built in to the rear view mirror.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hillbilly said:
They would need to build a huge inventory to suit difference models of cars

Eg my car has auto dimming head light sensors, rear view light dimming and another sensor built in to the rear view mirror.

yeah that's certainly a challenge as besides functional differences there are different mount types and the type of arm used is decided at time of assembly, the mount is not a universal type at all and can't be swapped out after assembly, so for example if you build a mirror to suit a Toyota you can't swap the mount later and make it fit a Honda, it's a great solution for cars it works with but a headache from a retailers perspective, holding inventory drives the prices up and makes it even less affordable

great spot to have a DVR mounted, very hard to do and be commercially viable

I'd settle for one that straps to the back of the mirror (front-of-car side). All the ones I've seen have a rather large mirror that covers up the existing mirror ... totally useless is you have a factory-install back-up camera and/or compass and/or garage-door opener and/or On-Star button built into the existing mirror.

I have a deep mirror in my Mercedes: I'd considered building a Raspberry Pi camera into that.

However, I opted for a Mini 0801 in the end. My main reason was that if I were in a proper big prang and needed to effect hasty egress from my vehicle, I'd want to be able to just grab the camera and go. Nicely-integrated solutions don't allow for this - unless the memory card were quick and easy to remove...

Back