is using two 2 channel cameras too power consuming on car batteries?

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
edit: title should say TOO power consuming.

Original post:

I was considering getting the power magic pro plus since I really like the power magic pro I already have. i am not too knowledgeable about how voltages/watts/amps work but if I were to run for example two DR550GW-2CH cameras, would I expect my battery to drain TWICE as fast?

Last edited:
I am currently running one 2ch camera connected to a Powermagic Pro. I am comfortable enough with it that I trust it to shut off the cameras if my battery falls below the 11volt threshold. I would think that running two cameras would be fine but would drain your battery twice as fast. However, I think that the low power requirements for the two cameras would take a long time to discharge your battery and that with normal driving every few days, your car battery would hold up just fine.

I may soon go with two separate cameras and two Powermagic Pros. I am not worried about the draw on the car battery but I drive my car for two hours nearly every day so the battery is always fully charged.

edit: title should say TOO power consuming.

You can edit the title if you're the OP:
(upper right)
2H3uR2Z.png

I may soon go with two separate cameras and two Powermagic Pros. I am not worried about the draw on the car battery but I drive my car for two hours nearly every day so the battery is always fully charged.

just use one power magic pro with a double adapter if your installation allows, it will use less power

Agree with Jokiin's recommendation. The power magic pro also consumes power, so if you can, use only one to drive both cameras. Your car battery would discharge slower.

The Power Magic pro is rated capable to support 1 amp steady, with 2 amp for brief surge.
Your camera manual states: Current Consumption Approx. 4.8W, Varies depending on Wi-Fi usage.
If we assume the 4.8 watts rating is at 12 volts, then the amperage per camera is about 0.4 amps. Two camera draw about 0.8 amps.
The single power magic pro rating implies it could power both cameras, with a little margin to spare.
Note: Quiescent current is the current drawn by a circuit when it is not amplifying a signal or driving a load. This indicates the power consumed by the device for it to operate at idle, depending on design. This is approaching 50% as much power as the camera is using.

If someone has experience trying this, that would be more valuable that the calculation based on specs. The spec is sometimes optimistic.

upload_2014-6-30_19-14-19.png

upload_2014-6-30_19-5-27.png

Attachments

• upload_2014-6-30_19-13-23.png
    upload_2014-6-30_19-13-23.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
they sell a double version which is just the same box with two cig plugs attached
Well yea this is what the power magic pro plus is that i intended on getting, i did not plan on using two seperate power magic pros which just have one adaptor where the plus version has to adaptors and two power switches.

But if i could just use my regular pmp and put an adaptor that allows two 12v adaptors plugged into the one for the PMP that would be much cheaper since the pmp+ (the one with two plug ins) is $100.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B000PB8CQIHere is a pricy but fancy $30USD adaptor. I am just worried somewhere along my system there will be a power issue. But again electrical stuff is not my expertise what so ever.

Last edited:
Back