Dash Cam install

TDITim

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm considering the BlackVue DR650GW-2ch
My back window is tinted to 20%.
Will the camera stick to the tint ok or should I cut out the tint so the camera attaches directly to the glass.
Also, has anyone cut out the tint where the lens is? How did this work?
Thanks

I would stick it to the tint rather than cutting a hole. That camera is not heavy and should not pull the tint away. The real trick though will be getting the camera off if needed with out pulling the tint. I would not cut a hole for the lens either as the wide field of view covers your whole back window unless you have the lens touching it.

It will stick to the tint ok, not a great camera though, will struggle if recording through tinted windows

Yeah don't give into the BlackVue WiFi Wow Factor, the low bitrate and video quality in general is lackluster for the price you pay.

Yeah don't give into the BlackVue WiFi Wow Factor, the low bitrate and video quality in general is lackluster for the price you pay.

What duel camera would you recommend? I'm wanting to buy my first camera next week.

Phil

I'm considering the BlackVue DR650GW-2ch
My back window is tinted to 20%.
Will the camera stick to the tint ok or should I cut out the tint so the camera attaches directly to the glass.
Also, has anyone cut out the tint where the lens is? How did this work?
Thanks

you don't say if the tinting is factory or aftermarket. Although by your words it appears to be aftermarket. 3M is the only suitable tape I've heard of, that WILL hold the dashcam reliably to factory tinted glass. As proven in my car & others.

Would not recommend blackvue at all. You will regret it...

Unless you absolutely need the front and rear video stitches together by the camera then is recommend running two separate cameras. Once the novelty of having a dashcam wears off you'll rarely look at the footage anyway. There is plenty if video software to being two separate feeds together anyway. Plus most if not all 2 ch systems have a lower res rear camera. I recommend the Panorama, I've run them front and rear for a while now, not a single issue.

Unless you absolutely need the front and rear video stitches together by the camera then is recommend running two separate cameras. Once the novelty of having a dashcam wears off you'll rarely look at the footage anyway. There is plenty if video software to being two separate feeds together anyway. Plus most if not all 2 ch systems have a lower res rear camera. I recommend the Panorama, I've run them front and rear for a while now, not a single issue.
I 100% agree with singlespeed. Yesterday, I completed the removal of my 2 channel Blacksys CF-100 to install two independent Panoramas. Other than the bigger camera profile in the rear, I am so happy with the new setup. I did move the old Blacksys system to my Wife's car today. She does not drive much and I won't drive a car again without cameras. So now we can drive her car more often and I can relax a bit. The dual channel cameras are decent systems for the money but not as user friendly to retrieve video, especially rear video in the case of my CF-100.

I am actually a 2 camera convert. For awhile, I thought it was crazy to run independent cameras but it actually makes a lot of sense now that I have been using dashcams for awhile.

I was wondering about the 2 cam vs one system 2 cam... It must be a PITA to collect the cards from separate cameras though I do see your point about getting over looking at all the clips. What about regular formatting to keep the cards "clean" and avoid corruption? How often do you do it?

I was wondering about the 2 cam vs one system 2 cam... It must be a PITA to collect the cards from separate cameras though I do see your point about getting over looking at all the clips. What about regular formatting to keep the cards "clean" and avoid corruption? How often do you do it?

I rarely format mine any more, I used to do it regularly. I've had no issues with the camera itself overwriting the files.

on the other hand, 2 cameras enables smaller capacity cards to be used. And if the front camera dies, the rear can replace it

It's not too bad with two different cameras, I just climb into the back seat and pop out the card if needed. I format every few weeks or more often when I feel the need to pull any footage and it takes less than 10 seconds to do on the camera. I don't look at any video anymore unless I need to grab something worth it.

In my case, the cameras I am using now use full size SD cards instead of the micro and I could not more happy about that.

Last edited:
Yeah I get that. I'm pretty much over looking at the videos, so I guess not really a problem having two cards.

@Number400: Which cameras do you use which use standard SD cards? I hate micros, my fingers are not as deft as they were and in fact I've lost sensation in the tips, so micros are a pest and a half (and I don't use them for anyhting else!) And I have LOTS of SD cards for my regular cameras

I use a smear of lip balm on edge of the rear dashcam mount to help the seal. It holds right across the rear defroster.

Yeah I get that. I'm pretty much over looking at the videos, so I guess not really a problem having two cards.

@Number400: Which cameras do you use which use standard SD cards? I hate micros, my fingers are not as deft as they were and in fact I've lost sensation in the tips, so micros are a pest and a half (and I don't use them for anyhting else!) And I have LOTS of SD cards for my regular cameras

Sue,
I am now using a pair of Panorama S cameras. it's comforting to know that I have the same quality of footage in the rear as I do in the front.

Back