A Dash-Cam can not only help you but it can hurt you

Today, I was driving a coach up from Cornwall. On the motorway I was maxed out at 100kph (set by the limiter). My tacho displayed "100kph" and my speedo read 62mph.
Interestingly, my satnav was showing me doing 79mph and the 'waze' app on my mobile was showing 70mph.
I am so glad my dashcam doesn't have GPS speed on it.

Would get the satnav checked in another vehicle I think as have never seen one that far different from a speedo.

Either that or get the coach checked It could have had mods to the driveline which caused a variation in the readings but not normally that much

All things have good effect, also will have bad efffect, the key is how you use it, all tools effect determined by the users

The camera is no nobody's side. It it impartial. The only influence you have is to withhold it if nobody knows about it. Or to refuse a seizure / subpoena or other legal request - and that may cause you more trouble than you save.

IF you have a camera, you have to drive like a saint.

it struck me like a thunder... your girlfriend/ wife may be able to check where youve been driving around :D
thats a harm not to be underestimated!

Stop visiting your ex's house and strip bars and the problem is solved. Besides, if you can't trust each other, then what's the point of the relationship?

KuoH

it struck me like a thunder... your girlfriend/ wife may be able to check where youve been driving around :D

some call it also healthy curiosity.... with all the things going on in the world no sane human can really say the trust is 100%, bit if its not perfect 100% it doesnt automatically mean you dont trust
sometimes its not about not trusting... just innocent healthy curiosity

its like with the NSA, if the data is there...it will someday be used somehow....maybe :D

This is the number 1 thing that is holding me back from buying a dashcam is the fact that a dashcam maybe used against you, however I would really love to own one. I think the benefits outweigh the cons. Legally a cop cannot obtain my dashcam without a warrant/or my consent current? So I can say " I do not consent to any searches or seizures of my person nor my property."

This is the number 1 thing that is holding me back from buying a dashcam is the fact that a dashcam maybe used against you, however I would really love to own one. I think the benefits outweigh the cons. Legally a cop cannot obtain my dashcam without a warrant/or my consent current? So I can say " I do not consent to any searches or seizures of my person nor my property."
The benefits certainly outweigh the cons. Get the Dash cam.

thats exactly the reason why im only choosing dash cams without gps
the used gps is mostly too unreliable, but the information is presented in the video as a fact
and honestly...most people drive a liitle bit faster that the speed limit :D ....this can lead to that they can be partly blamed for any kind of accident, since they were not following the limit
An official expert will be able to determine the speed in the footage without any speed indication. With or without GPS, a dashcam is a good reason to stick to traffic regulations, drive defensively and anticipate. In case of an accident do not give footage to the police or an insurance company if you are an involved party (German term: "Beteiligter") but forward it to an attorney. At least in Germany words of an attorney carry much more weight than yours or a dashcam recording.

just because GPS is available doesn't mean you need to embed the information in the video, some cameras don't give you a choice in this, good ones do though, important to know the features of a camera before purchase
I wanted a roadhawk originally but i could not find any information about whether or not you can turn off the speed display. o try not to go 5mph over but i know in an accident that could give me partial blame.

My blackvue is set to not display speed for this reason. A few mph hardly makes a difference in reality but legally it can.

Would get the satnav checked in another vehicle I think as have never seen one that far different from a speedo.

Either that or get the coach checked It could have had mods to the driveline which caused a variation in the readings but not normally that much
But that is 2 different devices, both showing different speeds to the vehicle. I also reckon the vehicle's readings would be reasonably accurate judging by the amount of traffic whizzing by.
The other thing is, it's not doing this all the time I am maxed out. Sometimes the readings all concur!
On another note, a couple of local country lanes have speed sensor signs - they display your speed and either a smiley or sad face. Driving at 30 on the satnav will generally agree with the speed indicated on the sign. As the speedo often reads under 30 whilst the satnav reads 30, I tend to use the digits on the satnave to guide me when going past the normal speed sensor signs (the ones that flash if you're going too fast, to remind you what the limit is rather than showing what speed you are going).

I think there are some blackspots for gps signals, I also wonder just how reliable the technology is - I think I read somewhere that the sats used are old military/nasa that 'we' can now use because it's not quite good enough for 'them' ?

I wanted a roadhawk originally but i could not find any information about whether or not you can turn off the speed display. o try not to go 5mph over but i know in an accident that could give me partial blame.

My blackvue is set to not display speed for this reason. A few mph hardly makes a difference in reality but legally it can.

The video footage would be the focal point, not the GPS data. A court could argue for days on GPS accuracy, and it varies by manufacturer and the ability to receive a good signal. If you like GPS data, use a GPS.

Back to the original story. One would only need a basic understanding of the traffic lights timing and sequencing to realise that the other driver MUST have punched off before he got a green light. 100% at fault.

This is an undesirable side effect of the over enforcement of speeding road rules to the detriment of all other road rules, even the fundamentals of traffic lights.

This is why I did not buy with a GPS, never say you have a dash-cam until you have reviewed it, you do not have to incriminate yourself. If the cop sees it, and asks about it, you do not need to say anything to him without a lawyer. I actually got it to keep an eye on these cops that try to violate my constitutional rights, I've yet to meet one that actually cares to uphold his oath.

after an accident, remove the card and hide it. Then begin filming with your cellphone.

as for the the OP, it shows him traveling 33MPH, however there is a tolerance of+- 3 miles or more with GPS. Also, the other guy would have to prove he was indeed traveling the speed limit as well.

This is why I did not buy with a GPS, never say you have a dash-cam until you have reviewed it, you do not have to incriminate yourself. If the cop sees it, and asks about it, you do not need to say anything to him without a lawyer. I actually got it to keep an eye on these cops that try to violate my constitutional rights, I've yet to meet one that actually cares to uphold his oath.

after an accident, remove the card and hide it. Then begin filming with your cellphone.

as for the the OP, it shows him traveling 33MPH, however there is a tolerance of+- 3 miles or more with GPS. Also, the other guy would have to prove he was indeed traveling the speed limit as well.
To say you've never met an officer who cares to uphold his oath is not a nice thing to say. I don't want to go off on a different topic with you on this, but it sound like you are pretty bitter about the, presumably, many encounters you've had with law enforcement. I would only suggest you go out on a ride-along and get to know a "cop" in a more friendly, non confrontational environment. Hopefully that will take your edge off and you'll see we do go out to enforce the law...with our oath in mind.

I stand by my statement. your use of "presumably, many encounters," is not warranted. You have no idea where I'm from, if you did you would see the community as a whole agrees. Look up Rio Grande Valley police. They know very little about the law, and have no respect for our constitution. A quick trip to youtube will show MANY officers, change their GOD like statues when they see the camera. I do not mean to say ALL police officers, however the ones that I have come across in my 29 years of life have fit right in to my earlier statement. I also HAD a friend who was a police officer, he would tell me all these stories of how he would get people to give up their rights, and circumvent the constitution..

heres an interesting video, Fast forward to 14:20, I thought it was funny, it maybe overboard but it speaks volumes.

Or how about this guy... chasing down those bad guys!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXI7170ahNI

Or this guy, out with his family when he comes across this nightmare of a cop

Sill not convinced? Hows about this winner...

has anyone in those videos come across as violent criminals?

I was personally tasered by a group of cops, because I was screaming in pain, waking up from neck surgery, the doctor took off, I was in unbelievable pain, and really high from the anesthesia, the nurse called the police! they got there and went straight for the taser.. didn't occur to anyone of those elite officers to ask what was happening... No, I did not sue, I let it go...

Back