Roadhawk HD Firmware v1.8

Cyb3rDud3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
TBC
I just got the Roadhawk HD as to me from all the footage that I've seen it looked the best. I'll take it out for the first time today and will see whether that is true :)

Just noticed that the first thing that happened was a suggested update to firmware v1.8 which brings;
* Improved stability with a range of SD cards
* Fixed camera reboot issue when high capacity SD cards are used.
* Improved compatibility with larger range of 64Gb SD cards [I'm expecting one today so we'll see]
* Added support for new camera image quality settings [whatever those are??]
* Pre-allocated file size to increase stability when camera loop records
* Improved audio quality
* Improved algorithm for low light video capture [thought it was pretty good already]

PS. It is very quiet in this Roadhawk section...

It's a fairly UK only camera at the moment. They are in Cornwall, UK!

Mine is on order from Amazon. Price was pretty good at $199.95 shipped, no tax. Still trying to figure out the max size SDXC card I can use. I would like to use a 256GB which is on sale for $99, but not sure it will work. I will use a 32GB card until I find out. My car is an Audi S5 with 6-speed, 2013 model, Prestige. It can be loud if I turn on the under hood speaker to amplify the exhaust sound. I don't, but some do. The Audi also reads SDHC cards in the MMI system, so the video will be able to be played on the Nav system once it it out of the Roadhawk.

I'm not sure what the max size card is....I'm using it with a 64Gb card...However you know what, the supplied 8Gb is plenty...Yes I looked at some of the footage when I got it, now it is just an appliance. I'm just leaving it in, looping the recordings all the time and are only actually interested in anything if there is an event that requires me to have it....

I can honestly see no point to have a super large card in it...

I received a reply from Timetec as well as Roadhawk in England. It appears that some 128GB cards will work. 256GB cards have not been tried.

Thank you for contacting us. Some customers do use 128GB SDXC, but we can not guarantee which brand is compatible. We only tested kingston 128GB SDXC:
http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-Memory-SDX10V-128GB/dp/B0090J5XLS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408036070&sr=8-1&keywords=kingston 128gb sdxc

This is the only brand we test and works with roadhwak HD. The only issue is you need high performance (quad core) desktop to play video. Or it will get latency when you play video.

There is a PNY 256GB card at Newegg for $99 that would be interesting to try. 43 hours of recording at 1080p?

I have a Sony Class 10 40mbps 64gb card that I use in my Canon camera that I will try.

Why would the size of the card determine how fast your PC needs to be to playback video, I don't understand the logic

I think I'd be suspicious of a 256gb card at $99 though, seems too cheap

Why would the size of the card determine how fast your PC needs to be to playback video, I don't understand the logic

I think I'd be suspicious of a 256gb card at $99 though, seems too cheap

The way I read it was not that the comment on PC speed was related to the size of the card, it was just a general statement regarding full HD files :)

I'd also be very suspicious about that size card and reliability and speed.

Full HD video does need some processing power so I'd agree the comment is probably generic and not related to card size in any way

While it would be nice to pop the SDHC out of the camera and into the flash card slots on the Audi, it won't work. The resolution of the files would be ok at 720p, but the lowest data rate possible on the camera is 4Mbps, whereas the maximum rate that the Audi slots can handle is 2Mbps.

Back