Combo Dashcam / Backup Camera

Aelfwyne

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been running a G1W dashcam for a year or so, and would like to upgrade a bit.

I now drive a Fiat 500, and sadly, rear visibility isn't what it should be.

I'm hoping to find a combination rear backup camera / dashcam. I found one on a search here: http://thedashcamstore.com/720p-rear-view-mirror-dashcam-with-backup-camera-dvr-vc100/ but I can't find much about it, and the one review seems a bit critical of it as overly large and bulky. That would be a problem in my tiny car!

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Dashcameras is not the best backup cameras, for one they are pointing more to the back where a reverse camera face more down.

Allso dashcameras dont have the guide / distance lines a proper reverse camera have, and most reverse canmeras tend to be mounted down low on the back of cars ( in the bumper for instance )

Since you are in a Fiat 500 you wont run into some of the other problems that can pop up using a dashcamera, and thats the slope of the rear window, and the trunk if you drive a sedan or simmilar.
Allso the Dual cameras all have a pretty small monitor, so i assume you had to get really close to it to use it for reversing, or add a LCD monitor if the dashcam have a AV out option.

If it was me i would go for a proper reverse camera, and a 5-7" monitor mounted low in the far corner of my windscreen, or tied into my duble DIN headunit with a 7" screeen.

reverse cameras and LCD screens are both cheap on fleabay or amazon like sites.

You will be much better off having two seperate devices that do what they do best like kamkar1 mentioned.

Kelvin

Back