Are Dash Cams Legal at Border Crossings?

DashCamMan

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just came across this trucking article on dash cams.

Apparently US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) may be prohibiting dash cam recording at border crossings. The Canadian Trucking Alliance issued a notice, indicating “photography and videography is prohibited without the authorization of CBP in all US CBP areas with accordance to 41 CFR 102-74.420.” Note that the US Customs have not provided an official response.

At Canada Border Crossings, “The CBSA does not restrict the use of dash cameras at ports of entry. Dash cameras may be on and recording while waiting in line and they do not have to be turned off when speaking with an officer as long as it does not hinder or obstruct the officer’s ability to carry out their duties”

May want to turn off your dash cams when heading across the US border.

Some countries prohibit video recording at their borders; I know Lithuania does, saw the signs and was told by the border guards to turn my dash cam off (I had already done so since I saw the sign). Seems strange to me why any country should care if you have a dash cam running or not, there is video surveillance everywhere at border crossings. You see these poles with half a dozen cameras pointed in every direction all over the border crossing areas. What difference does a car camera make in the scheme of things I wonder.

Well so much for that I had a camera in my rentals in USA and Canada earlier this year.

I crossed from Niagara to USA and back 4 times one day and the only problem I had was the friendly lady on the booth who wanted to talk about Australia when I was in a bit of a hurry. Camera was never mentioned anywhere.

Back