18650 packs

GJHS

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius A & C, SJ4000, M10, Mini 0806, Innovv C3,4, Xiaomi Yi
Has anyone here made there own USB packs using their own 18650s and a holder like
This
image.jpg

Or
This
image.jpg

That would be really easy to make starting with the "MintyBoost" from http://makershed.com
It is designed for 2 AA batteries in Serial, but you could use 18650 batteries in parallel instead.

Yes, I have the black Qidian one with 6 x LG 2200mAh cells and it works fine for me. It came with a lot of adapters and has 12V output capability, which comes in handy. Did you have a particular question about it?

KuoH

Has anyone here made there own USB packs using their own 18650s and a holder like
This
View attachment 8524

It seems like one of these could get pretty expensive if you used decent quality 18650 cells considering what most of the complete packs on the market cost. Then again, you would know what you've got as far as cells go. On the other hand, since these DIY kits are so inexpensive, I've wondered what kind of circuit board design and quality you are getting regarding charging and protection accuracy.

If you buy individual name brand cells, yes it can be quite costly. I like many others on flashlight forums, got ours out of "new old stock" laptop packs from $10 to $15 per 6 to 8 cell pack on ebay. If you stick with name brand packs like Asus, HP or Sony, you typically end up with very good quality matched cells. However, some persistence and careful disassembly is required to get them out undamaged.

KuoH

It seems like one of these could get pretty expensive if you used decent quality 18650 cells considering what most of the complete packs on the market cost.

That's my question. In reviewing these, I have read that the electronics are good, while the interface leaves you guessing. If you can get some decent batteries for a good price, these would be a better bargain than constantly replacing bargain cells, soldered poorly. I first came on these, looking for 18650 packs for my bike lights until I found a good Ebay source for inexpensive Panasonic packs.

@kuoh hows the quality?

Back