Battery charging circuit - flawed from manufacture ?

petepete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On initial purchase I conected my cameras to a good usb power source and watched the LED change from purple to red then switch off at which point I assumed it was fully charged.

I then removed the camera, switched it on and started it recording manually and conected it to the usb again which stopped it going to "mass storage" so I was able to see the battery charge icon doing its thing. Doing this, the LED re lighted and the camera started to charge some more , but after a short period of time the LED actually went out leaving the camera recording with no LED lit as long as it remained conected to the usb. (assumed the camera was fully charged and then tested how long the camera could record on battery only - yes it was fully charged )

Thought nothing more of it, fitted my camera to the car and only now months down the line does the significance of this initial observation spark interest .....

For some reason I never became curious as to why when fitted in the car I never saw the LED go out - ( after all I was expecting to see LED indication of the camera functioning ). Only on removal of the camera to do some external recording did my supisions arise as I found the camera would only film for a minute before it rapped off with low battery...

Disapointed and wondering if my battery was on its way out, I conected the camera to the usb and found it would charge until the red light went out and on testing the camera on battery found I could use it for a slightly reduced time from the time I had measured when the camera was new and initially tried as above - No problem with the battery then...

We all know lipo batteries require very specific care when it comes to charging...

It seems reasonable to conclude conected to the USB my camera is recieving that care as it charges fully and the Led goes through its colour change then goes out indicating full charge.

This logically leads me to ask the question -

When my camera is on charge and in use in the car and the red LED stays on.. Has this idication been achieved by the battery never being able to reach full charge and go out as happens when conected to a good usb charging point - and does this explain why my camera battery was unable to record for long when taken from the car...

When I get time I will measure and compare the voltages the camera recieves off the car and the usb to confirm my suspicians..But in the mean time i can only suspect the lipo battery is not getting the specific care it should when it comes to being charged when fitted to the car, which I dont doubt will impact on its lifespan.

Back