BV shutting down & restarting when starting engine..?

egonvdv

Reaction score
Country
France
Dash Cam
TWO Thinkware's U10002CH (rear cams used as side cams)
this started to happen only recently (but not always).
I have the 550gw with magic pro.
It's not a very big deal cos in the end the camera works just fine,
but i'm curious to know why this happens..?

Just to clarify, when you get in the car, its on and recording, but when you turn the ignition to switch engine on, it switches off and then straight back on?

correct: parking mode & normal mode both work perfectly.
but somehow the camera must experience a power cut of some sorts when I start the engine...?

Anything plugged into my main cigarette lighter socket behaved the same way, but it doesn't happen with accessory sockets. It was really annoying when I had the gps plugged in there. I don't use that socket for anything now.

Sounds like the car is dropping the voltage at the ciggy socket Sounds sort of normal as the starter takes a fair bit.

Just like if you have your lights on when starting They dim don't they.

Depends on the vehicle which you haven't stated the make and model

thanks.
I have a 2011 Mercedes E
the magic pro is attached to the fuses of the taillights.
it seems the bv restarts in the morning when I leave my underground parking & the carlights are on,
but not in the evening when I leave work (no lights on)
but as stated before it only started to happen recently, so maybe the battery is getting a bit old (car's 3 years old)?

thanks.
I have a 2011 Mercedes E
the magic pro is attached to the fuses of the taillights.
it seems the bv restarts in the morning when I leave my underground parking & the carlights are on,
but not in the evening when I leave work (no lights on)
but as stated before it only started to happen recently, so maybe the battery is getting a bit old (car's 3 years old)?

You would be wise to meter out the fuses to find one that is on ALL THE TIME It could be the car shuts down the supply to the lights fuse as some do.

You need power 24/7 on one wire and acc power on the other one.
It seems you have got the always on wire in the wrong place.
I have a VW which is strange as well and I found a blank fuse socket that is always on regardless and connected it to that found a second one that is only live when acc are on and used it for the correct wire Havent had any trouble for 2 years.

Did you connect the wires properly or just stuff bare wires down the side of the fuse, thereby increasing the chances of burning your car to the ground

no it IS properly connected like that...

Cant be if its not on when the lights are off in the afternoon.

Some canbus cars shut down the light circuits after say 5 mins so if you test it you should wait an hour and then try the fuse again.

my light are on when dark & off when light.
the wires are properly connected for sure.
1 on the breaklight which ALWAYS as power
and the other on a source which switches off after abt 5 mns
(but wich is always on when driving)

my reasoning is that when the lights are on they "take away"
the electricity from the BV, resulting in a power drop.
this could be because the battery is losing it's performance somewhat.

Again: it worked perfectly with my 400 & 500 for the past 2 years or os

Last edited:
power magic is set to prevent battery going flat and turn off load when it reaches a certain voltage, when starting engine the voltage is probably below the threshold and it turns off the load thinking the battery is going flat to prevent it going completely flat, when engine is running it is above that threshold and it starts working again most likely.

it's not a very big deal cos the camera starts right up again & works just fine,
but it never happened with my previous (500) model.
wozzzza might be right, though it sometimes happens after it's been parked the whole night
and other times after a quick stop..

Either your battery is weak, or the battery cable clamps have bad contact (oxidized, loose?) Otherwise the voltage shouldn't drop that much during starter action.

Egonvdv I've got the same issue on my Audi A6 2011. When I turn on the ignition it shuts off and turns back on. Was going to see if the fuses I hard wired too turn off when ignition is switched on. Does anyone know when they are going to release updated firmware as the current one is buggy as hell.

1: Overwrites all files including event files
2: main camera turns off yet there's still power to the rear camera

Egonvdv I've got the same issue on my Audi A6 2011. When I turn on the ignition it shuts off and turns back on. Was going to see if the fuses I hard wired too turn off when ignition is switched on. Does anyone know when they are going to release updated firmware as the current one is buggy as hell.

1: Overwrites all files including event files
2: main camera turns off yet there's still power to the rear camera
They have always written over the files In this order Ordinary files Oldest first then event files oldest first.

After about 10 hours on a 32G card it will stat to overwrite so if anything happens change it or view them at the end of your drive.

Depends how they are wired up perhaps.
With mine the front is wired direct to acc fuse and rear through a power magic and it stays on for set parking time

They have always written over the files In this order Ordinary files Oldest first then event files oldest first.

After about 10 hours on a 32G card it will stat to overwrite so if anything happens change it or view them at the end of your drive.

Depends how they are wired up perhaps.
With mine the front is wired direct to acc fuse and rear through a power magic and it stays on for set parking time

On my 64gb I've managed to get around 18 hours of footage.

My wiring is as intended, hardwire from fuse box to power magic pro with add a fuse circuit and 2amp fuse. I double checked to make sure the BATT and ACC are installed correctly and they are. Just when I put on the ignition after 10-15secs the bv turns off. I definitely think the PMP cuts it off due to voltage during startup.

On my 64gb I've managed to get around 18 hours of footage.

My wiring is as intended, hardwire from fuse box to power magic pro with add a fuse circuit and 2amp fuse. I double checked to make sure the BATT and ACC are installed correctly and they are. Just when I put on the ignition after 10-15secs the bv turns off. I definitely think the PMP cuts it off due to voltage during startup.

Of course it will if your battery is shot and when starting drops below your PM's cutoff voltage

Think I might get it tested...car is coming up to 4 years old now and I think it's still the original battery. Might pop down to Kwik Fit to get it tested for free

It now sometimes happens when I get into the car. as the power magic is hooked up to the fuses of the rear lights, I'm guessing it causes a short power drop when the lights come on,
which causes the PM to shut down...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tmyc DR550GW-2CH 2
T DR550GW-2CH 2
Back