Blackview DR650 2ch Battery Drain & DAB interference

Mr Muffin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

I've had the Blackview DR650 2CH installed on my 2012 Mini Clubman. I'm having two issues with it, and am wondering if anyone has reported the same, and what (if any!) are the solutions!

1. Battery drain: Every morning I get a battery drain message from my car after it's been sat still for around 9 hours. I don't have the Power Magic Pro installed. The camera is set to always record. (photo attached)

2. DAB interference - I can no longer pickup certain London DAB stations, Capital FM DAB no longer has any signal, and areas of low reception I am unable t0 pick out any DAB stations.....

Any advice on how the above can be resolved? This blackview in my opinion is the best on the market in terms of image quality and angle of view, however it's being let down by the above issues....

Battery drain message warning message:

Attachments

• IMG_3872.jpg
    IMG_3872.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 34
I cannot see how the battery drain issue is a "fault" or design flaw of the camera, it seems to be the fault of the way it was installed. I believe you need the Power Magic installed to prevent battery drain.

Regarding the reception issues I have no clue but have a question. Are any of your wires run past your cars antenna?

Hi - thanks for responding!

I'm not sure, as I didn't do the install myself - but will have to find out.

Ok re the battery drain - is it expected of this type of product to drain the battery without the use of something like Power Magic?

I wouldn't have thought these cams use much power :)

. . .

Ok re the battery drain - is it expected of this type of product to drain the battery without the use of something like Power Magic?

I wouldn't have thought these cams use much power :)
power use is a constant based on the units specifications but battery drain is somewhat relative to the battery. A large diesel car or truck may have a battery with 700 CCA (or may have two such batteries) but a compact car with a small engine may have a relatively tiny battery with less than a 300 CCA rating. Not sure what is in a Mini but I suspect it's a small battery with relatively low reserve, hence it would be far more sensitive to even modest battery drain.

There is detailed discussion on DAB issue with 550 here https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/550-interference-with-dab-radio.2860/
The same applies to 650. Although Pittasoft changed the the co-axial cable to a better one with 650, the problem is still not fully solved. You need to find where your DAB antenna is and install the rear cam and the cable as far as possible away from it. You could also additionally add some ring ferrites which would reduce the interference. Details are in the thread I mentioned.

wow- thats a cool message from a mini !

I suspect the cars ecu is set to detect anything out of its normal range of battery drain when the car stood and is to be expected if something "extra" is running when the car is stood - nothing you can do about that ....

As for the radio - you probably have the "crap" lead with the red LED and having read the thread advised you can sort that with an upgrade...

DAM that purple message is cool !

Back