£100 ($125) budget for a christmas present

UKonly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to buy a camera for the father in law for Christmas but know very little.
The NextBase 312GW looks good but I have never heard of the manufacturer? are they ok?

Nextbase is re-branded DOD. Mainly sold on UK / EU market.

Is that good or bad??

It's all relative to personal preferences. Having local warranty and support is good and for average dashcam user it may be OK for that price, it's mid-class dashcam, but you may also read feedback from other DOD / Nextbase users HERE or post new thread there with specific questions.

Just read a review for the Viofo A119, any thoughts between the two?

One big difference is the form-factor. Wedge cams like the A119 don't always fit well where you want them, but that can go the other way too.

Phil

I've given a few dash cams to relatives and they are still sitting in the box. Unless the person seriously wants one, they're not likely to be interested enough to actually learn to use it, and use it. :(

One sibling who is into every new worthless gadget that comes out and is trendy expressed some interest.......and still hasn't bothered to use it, after 3 months.

I've given a few dash cams to relatives and they are still sitting in the box. Unless the person seriously wants one, they're not likely to be interested enough to actually learn to use it, and use it. :(

One sibling who is into every new worthless gadget that comes out and is trendy expressed some interest.......and still hasn't bothered to use it, after 3 months.

Did I mention it was for the Father in Law - who cares if he doesn't use it !!!

That's why I send fruit cake to relatives every year.
:)

I'd recommend the VIOFO A119C, the VIOFO A119S (coming out in a week or so), or the Street Guardian GC9665 V2 The first two are in the price range you want, the third is a bit more.

If you want a very inexpensive gift idea, the VIOFO A118C is about $45 USD from gearbest in China. (you could get two of them for the budget you mentioned)

Both Street Guardian and Viofo have INCREDIBLE technical support, and are very active on this forum. Both of them have regular firmware updates and take suggestions from the customers very seriously.

I own a street guardian GC v2 that I love, and 2 other (dual set) cameras that are terrible(so I wont mention their brand). I have an order placed to try out some Viofo products, based on all the glowing recommendations. I'm ordering One A118c, Two A119C, and one A119S (new one with Sony sensor). I'm sure that i'll be just as happy with these as I am with the GC.

PS: The GC v3 is also coming out shortly

Put a Apple logo on that camera and it will be in the windscreen in 1 day.

Put a Apple logo on that camera and it will be in the windscreen in 1 day.
Haha. Boost price to $1,200 it'll be a hot seller

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 smartphone using the Tapatalk app.

Back