☹️ First ever dash cam purchase – its so confusing ☹️

Lumpy Custard

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
I’m looking to purchase my first ever dash cam . Ive checked out many youtube video reviews and its so confusing. I feel that many of those youtube dash cam reviews seem to be just a form of product advertising to promote sales. So I’m hoping that I can get down to earth real feed back here on what seems to be the 2 dash cam models that look like they will fit my needs.

The first dash cam model is ……

Xiaomi 70mai Dash Cam 4K A800S+RC06 Set .

The second dash cam model is …. Blueskysea B2W

I’m looking for a dash cam that can record both a front of vehicle view and at the same time the view inside the vehicle. I would like the option to see both those views on the dash screen at the same time.

Any recommendations , suggestions or comments would be most welcome

Thanks - LC

Attachments

•  DC1.jpg
    DC1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 10
  •  DC2.jpg
    DC2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 10
I did not try dash cams with a cabin channel but here is my best advice: The Viofo models i've tried have the option to display simultaneously multiple channels on one screen (picture in picture). Therefore, if you get a Viofo with a cabin video channel there is a good chance that the camera will be able to display simultaneously the front view as well as the inside the vehicle view. And they will record the footage coming from all your cameras, that's quite standard.

Welcome to the forum Lumpy.

All multi channel dashcams will support PIP at least with 2 cameras, at least that is my understanding, but this is a main channel with a small other channel in the corner, and really this on a already very small screen and it will be hard to see the little picture.
I have never seen any dashcam being able to do a 50/50 on the screen, you would of course also have to cut some of the frame off to display equal amounts of 2 feeds.

Now with the APP that go with a dashcam you can also see the PIP preview and here on a larger screen, you can probably also use the AV out some cameras have, but it is a low resolution so it might not be that great on a 7" LCD screen.

In Denmark it is also illegal to have a video going the driver can see, and even if a dashcam is only displaying the same you see out of the windscreen it might be illegal, having a screen on also attract attention, and this could be bad guys.

Also not all dashcams allow the LCD screen to be on all the time, some do, but it is not a normal thing, the time out options are normally from a few ( XX ) seconds up to 1 - 2 - 3 - 5 minutes, and then a few have "OFF" which mean the screen never time out and so are on all the time.

Regarding having wifi on all the time, and so having preview on the phone or tablet screen, having wifi on is a extra source of heat and the LCD screen too, this could be a problem in Thailand with hot temperatures.
BUT ! having used this some times to test cameras heat tolerance myself i have never seen a camera overheat due to this, but i am in Denmark a lot colder place even in the best of Danish summers where temperatures might get a little over 30 deg C for a day or 5 during the whole summer.

Back