0801 Front & Rear Dual Camera Hardwired Install

Klippie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius Lens C, Lens C2, Lens D & Drift Ghost S
If anyone is interested I recently finished a front and rear dual camera install on my car, here's a few pictures...

Front camera fixed in the usual place in front of the drivers inside mirror.

Pic2 x 1024.jpg

Rear camera mounted on the tailgate with the wire run inside the cavity and into the car.

Pic3 x 1024.jpg

I wanted both cameras to be operated via a switch for use when my car is to be left in a car park or in the street so I fitted a discreet little switch next to the hand brake connected to a permanently live circuit.

Pic1 x 1024.jpg
To power both cameras I bought two very nice little 3 Amp 12v to 5v converters and placed them as close (within 1 meter) to the cameras as possible to make sure they get a good supply to charge them as I found running a USB lead from the front to the back of the car would not charge the rear camera.

12v to 5v Converter.JPG

Hope this helps anyone thinking of doing the same...:)

Very nice...Perfection is everything!

Couple of questions, is the switch necessary to power the cameras whenever the car is operating, or only necessary when the car is parked? I like having my camera powered on automatically when the car starts. And, I notice that you've plugged the 5volt into the camera, not the GPS head. Does the GPS work using this arrangement?

Again, nice work,
Steve

It's permanently live so the switch is needed to turn the cameras on and off. I had a similar system before I hardwired to an ignition switched power supply.

Thanks for the kind words...:)

I wired the cameras to only work with the switch but it would be easy to wire them to work both ways a few of diodes would take care of that.

My two cameras have no GPS, interestingly though the front connector head does not allow power through to the camera but the rear one does...???

What you did with that switch is brilliant. Makes me feel ashamed of my switch setup

thanks for your sharing. Where do you get the power converter link and model?

A very professional install. I bet you're dead pleased with that.
A couple of questions, have you tried leaving the cameras powered up overnight or what's the maximum time you've left them recording for and what make/model of car is it?

Thanks...:)...I'am quite pleased with the finished install I don't like to see lots of wires hanging, if it's all neat and tidy there's less chance someone seeing the cameras.

I'd say 24 hours is the longest they have run...I forgot to switch them off, there was no problems either the car started as normal and the cameras were recycling the video.

The car is the latest shape Suzuki Swift it has rear privacy glass you can't see the rear camera at all looking in through the back window.

Nice work !

How did you connect the 12V-5V converter with the USB cable of the mini ?

The supplied charging cable has only two wires inside I simply cut off the plug-in charger and soldered the output wires from the converter to the cable.

OK thanks.

Is the 0801 reliable enough to be mounted at the rear ?
No risk of freeze that needs a reset ?

No problems at all with the latest firmware...plus you can see the blue recording light flashing in the rear view mirror so you know it's working OK.

Not for long I wouldn't. That would distract the heck out of me o_O

Wait a minute. Your front 0801, you're using a GPS mount but you have the usb cable plugged directly into the camera. Why?
If you plug into the GPS mount, you'll get GPS and power.....

And your rear, you have it plugged into the GPS mount.

I'm confused.

Wait a minute. Your front 0801, you're using a GPS mount but you have the usb cable plugged directly into the camera. Why?
If you plug into the GPS mount, you'll get GPS and power.....

And your rear, you have it plugged into the GPS mount.

I'm confused.

it still powers the GPS, that was changed quite a while ago now

Have you noticed your rear one getting loose? Especially since it's on the trunk and the opening/closing it is quite "shocking"
I have a front one and even that one the 0801 to the gps mount is getting loose, I've stuck some pieces of paper in there to make it a tighter fit, but every few weeks or so I have to double check to make sure it's in properly because it would move out of place.

This is a question to everyone with an 0801 actually.

None of my 0801's have GPS...the front mount does not allow power through when the USB is plugged into it I have to use the USB port on the camera for it to work I don't know why it just does.

The rear mount allows power through to the camera so I use that method...it looks more tidy for the rear application.

As for the mounts becoming slack...mine are a positive click fit, I don't remove them too often I take the memory cards out if I need to download any files.

Back