0801 GPS not locking properly

johntee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Further to my earlier post about my GPS dropping out, I'm still having problems which I cannot solve myself and therefore seek the help of our members.

Below is an image of a trip I made yesterday where the GPS only locked occasionally. The journey wasn't through areas where signal blocking could occur so I cannot explain the GPS dropping out. For reference the Google Map is shown to the right of this image in "Registrator Viewer" but I've not included that to keep the image file size small.

My car is a VW Sharan 2.0 TDi and does not have a heated or metallized windscreen or one with a reflective coating. I've tried the usual tips as posted on our forum, namely, checking the connections for firmness on the GPS base, relocating the dash cam to different areas of the windscreen, (it's presently behind my rear view mirror with the GPS base outwardly facing on my screen). I've even bought a new 0801 GPS base from e-Prance but the problem persists.

For what it's worth, I have a 'Garmin Nuvi 3598 -LTM-D' sat-nav on my dash board which locks and holds satellites almost instantly so signal is getting through to that device OK. The Garmin also has verbal digital traffic reports, which I know are on a different frequency to the GPS 1575.42 MHz, but they get through unhindered.

I'm hoping that a member can suggest a cause of this persistent non GPS lock & hold scenario.

2n6965v.jpg

301ndag.jpg

Many thanks,

John in the UK

Last edited:
Thats strange.. Probably a interference related Problem?
Radio antenna? thermal windshield? sat nav?

If possible, try it in another car to rule out the possibility that it isn't your car.

Kelvin

If possible, try it in another car to rule out the possibility that it isn't your car.

Kelvin

Hi Kelvin,

We must be on the same wave length, that's been in the forefront of my mind since this problem started. However, my first avenue of call, my family, is very small and quite removed from where we live, so that presents it's own problems. I may be able to get my brother-in-law to visit so I can try the 0801 in his car.

I'm pretty certain it's not the car though because all other high frequency GPS devices work brilliantly. As said in my previous post, my Garmin Nuvi 3598 LTM-D sat-nav picks up satellites up almost instantly, likewise my old 'TomTom Go 25' sat-nav does the same, which goes a long way into dismissing the car as the potential cause of the GPS problem. Unfortunately I have no way of determining how many satellites the 0801 locks on to, or what strength the signal is after it exits from the 0801 GPS detector base unit and into the dash cam.

One other test I've performed was to create a 'ground plane' for the 0801 by using my cars outside roof area as such. I attached the dash cam & GPS base in open view of the sky on my cars roof, without any obvious obstructions, and powered it up via the cigar lighter. It did find satellites after 5 minutes or so, however, if I moved the 0801 slightly the satellites were lost and the on-screen icon went to the 'search' status again.

I'm not really sure what is happening here Kelvin, the loss of GPS lock is not just in my home location either, but in many places as can be seen in the photos above when I was out travelling yesterday.

Thanks for your suggestion though, I will still pursue my brother-in-law to try the 0801 in his car. If you know of anything else which may work I would welcome that.

Cheers :)

John in the UK

Last edited:
Thats strange.. Probably a interference related Problem?
Radio antenna? thermal windshield? sat nav?

Hi Tobi@s,

Yes it is strange, I cannot fathom this one out. I don't have a thermal screen or similar and I have tried using my 0801 without the Sat-nav operating at the same time, but nothing changes. I have also tried it with the cars radio turned off too. This is so frustrating because I've approached the problem logically but without resolve.

I don't seem to be having much luck with my 0801 for sure. I still haven't received anything back from my recent email to Shenzhen Givoe Technology Co., Ltd in China about a firmware upgrade ( which you helped me with ) so I'll probably be wasting my time trying to contact them for help.

Kindest regards Tobi@s,

John in the UK

if it's not working in open sky then another car won't help, you've got a dud by the sounds of it

if it's not working in open sky then another car won't help, you've got a dud by the sounds of it

Hi jokiin,

I fear that you may be right. This 0801 has not been a good one from its purchase date. I'm really upset that the manufacturer, Shenzhen Givoe Technology Co., Ltd, has not had the decency to reply to my emails when asking them for help via the AliExpress pathway. Based on my bad experience I can only warn others to be careful from whom they purchase goods in China and the far east. I appreciate that I'm probably in the minority with this purchase, but such experiences cast a dark shadow on the reputable manufacturers that rely on the 'online' market for a good proportion of their sales.

Thanks jokiin,

John in the UK

to be fair they are not a manufacturer, just a seller and poor service exists in all markets and products, not just this one, not good for you of course but it's the risk of buying online out of China, I know quite a few factories that have pulled back from supplying these types of sellers as the aftersales service is not there and it's reflecting poorly on the products

to be fair they are not a manufacturer, just a seller and poor service exists in all markets and products, not just this one, not good for you of course but it's the risk of buying online out of China, I know quite a few factories that have pulled back from supplying these types of sellers as the aftersales service is not there and it's reflecting poorly on the products

Hi jokiin,

I wasn't aware that they were not a manufacturer. However, after reviewing my AliExpress invoice they are actually called a 'STORE: Shenzhen Givoe Technology Co., Ltd' which supports what you've said. I'm a little disappointed that AliExpress, as a major intermediary of many goods, have not picked up on them if my scenario is a common thing. In fairness I have bought many goods from China and the far east without problems, the odd one like this party, with poor after sales support, tarnish the image of credible merchants. I agree that the risk factor exists in all markets, it's just one of those things that needs ironing out, maybe by the retailing industry itself wherever possible.

Nice to speak with you again,

John in the UK

Aliexpress is all stores, that's what the platform is for, a lot misrepresent themselves as manufacturers though, for a consumer it's not easy to know that unfortunately

the 0801 could have been bought much closer to home for not much difference in price from www.joovuu.com when it comes down to it the bit extra it might cost you at least gives you consumer rights and better customer service, warranty support etc, keeps someone employed locally also

the 0801 could have been bought much closer to home for not much difference in price from www.joovuu.com when it comes down to it the bit extra it might cost you at least gives you consumer rights and better customer service, warranty support etc, keeps someone employed locally also

Hi jokiin,

The 0801 was bought via AliExpress because someone recommended them to me. I'm familiar with joovum now of course, set up by a young enterprising guy who's gone from strength to strength, nice to see that in this day and age.

I'll bite the bullet as far as my defective 0801 goes. I'll probably hack into it and take a look at the hardware and its layout. I have some instructions on how to do this thanks to Niko ( I think that's right ).

Here's the link to Niko's disassembly tutorial for anyone interested.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/disassembly-inside-mini-0803.6310/

A new Dash Cam with GPS logger is on the books, I just need to isolate the best one for my needs.

Cheers for now, it's always nice to talk to informed people like you and Tobi@s,

John in the UK :)

Last edited:
just luck of the draw that you got a bad one, it happens unfortunately

Hi jokiin,

Yes, just my bad luck to get the defective Dash Cam. It may be a waste of time, but I've sent yet another email to GIVOE Technology asking if they can locate their supplying factory and obtain the latest firmware for my 0801. That might cure my GPS problems ???? Maybe not.

I live in hope, but never stop smiling :)

Cheers,

John in the UK

just luck of the draw that you got a bad one, it happens unfortunately

Hi jokiin & Tobi@s,

UPDATE 23rd October 2014.

Today I have received a message from "Allen" at 'GIVOE' saying he will send me the latest firmware version for my 0801 GPS camera. The camera does work with the German / English firmware which Tobi@s kindly identified, but I'm having problems getting the satellites to lock & hold. I'm hoping this is just a firmware issue and the promised update from GIVOE will sort this out. This is good news, it rekindles my faith in GIVOE as part of the Chinese electronics industry. I will keep you and the forum updated.

Cheers,

John in the UK

Hi jokiin,

The 0801 was bought via AliExpress because someone recommended them to me. I'm familiar with joovum now of course, set up by a young enterprising guy who's gone from strength to strength, nice to see that in this day and age.

I'll bite the bullet as far as my defective 0801 goes. I'll probably hack into it and take a look at the hardware and its layout. I have some instructions on how to do this thanks to Niko ( I think that's right ).

Here's the link to Niko's disassembly tutorial for anyone interested.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/disassembly-inside-mini-0803.6310/

A new Dash Cam with GPS logger is on the books, I just need to isolate the best one for my needs.

Cheers for now, it's always nice to talk to informed people like you and Tobi@s,

John in the UK :)
You could easily prove that it is nothing to do with the car or anything in it by powering the base/camera from a USB battery/power bank and operating it in your garden or wherever well away from interference, that will also show if it is due to a loose connection as there will be no vibration/movement. I've been testing a Mini 0806 that way and the gps (same base as your 0801) locks on within about 2 seconds and stays locked. If you are planning to upgrade your 0801, that is an option that could make use of your existing gps bases, then the 0801 can go at the back, you only really need one working GPS ;)

You could easily prove that it is nothing to do with the car or anything in it by powering the base/camera from a USB battery/power bank and operating it in your garden or wherever well away from interference, that will also show if it is due to a loose connection as there will be no vibration/movement. I've been testing a Mini 0806 that way and the gps (same base as your 0801) locks on within about 2 seconds and stays locked. If you are planning to upgrade your 0801, that is an option that could make use of your existing gps bases

Hi Nigel,

Amazing, that's what I did yesterday. I obtained a small 12 volt" Yakima" battery from my neighbour, drove to a nice open space with fantastic views of the open sky, and connected my 0801 via GPS base using the original voltage reducing USB cable. The results were pretty poor, the camera wouldn't lock on to satellites very well. As a further test I tried the 0801 with the new GPS base I bought from e-Prance, unfortunately the results were the same. Undeterred I tried a brand new USB cable but using a 12v to 5v cigar type dual USB adapter. Nothing changed. 'Clutching at straws' comes to mind, but I've tried most avenues I know to correct the issues mentioned. However, there is some good news though. Today I received an communication from a guy called Allen at 'GIVOE Sales' who promises to send me their latest firmware for my 0801. I'm obviously hoping that the firmware will fix the GPS situation, I live in hope :)

The 0806 sounds interesting, it may well be an option for the futures as it uses the GPS bases which I already have.

I will keep everyone informed when the Firmware Update arrives from China and I've had time to flash and test its effects.

Thanks for your posting Nigel, it's very welcomed. We have a great membership here, of which I'm pleased to be a part of.

Cheers,

John in the UK

Last edited:
The results were pretty poor, the camera wouldn't lock on to satellites very well.
Very strange, the receiver is purely in the base and the ones I have get very good reception. I wouldn't expect the camera to make much difference. Maybe the camera itself is causing an interference signal?

As I added to my last post after you read it, a Mini 0806 at the front and a Mini 0801 at the back window will make good use of your 0801 and bases even if you can't fix it, you only really need one GPS working. Probably better to spend the money on a second camera than on postage sending a faulty but usable one back to China and accept that in this case the risk of foreign purchase didn't pay off.

be nice if this updated firmware gets it sorted, can't say I'm confident that will be the case though

As I added to my last post after you read it, a Mini 0806 at the front and a Mini 0801 at the back window will make good use of your 0801 and bases even if you can't fix it, you only really need one GPS working. Probably better to spend the money on a second camera than on postage sending a faulty but usable one back to China and accept that in this case the risk of foreign purchase didn't pay off.

Hi Nigel,

Of course your philosophy is good, there's no point in 'chucking good money after bad'. I will however wait until Allen @ GIVOE sends me their latest firmware in the hope it fixes things with my 0801. I'm undoubtedly one of lifes optimists, but it keeps me smiling no matter what. :)

Thanks for your advice,

John in the UK

Last edited:
be nice if this updated firmware gets it sorted, can't say I'm confident that will be the case though

Hi jokiin,

As I've just said in my post to Nigel, "I'm undoubtedly one of lifes optimists, but it keeps me smiling no matter what." It also keeps me going in tough situations like the present one.

The updated GIVOE Firmware "may" fix the 0801 issues, and maybe it 'won't." ;)

I obviously appreciate the help and advice I receive from you and our members, I wait with baited breath for the forthcoming firmware from China.

Cheers,

John in the UK

Last edited:
Back