0803 not recording properly

Bez3000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have an 0803 which is powering up but not starting to recording properly. It used to work perfectly fine but has now developed this problem. The blue light stays solid after startup. If I start the camera recording manually, it almost immediately stops again.

I first suspected a memory card issue so have formatted the card and that hasn't helped. I've also tried a soft reset which doesn't appear to have helped either.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

Hi all, I have an 0803 which is powering up but not starting to recording properly. It used to work perfectly fine but has now developed this problem. The blue light stays solid after startup. If I start the camera recording manually, it almost immediately stops again.

I first suspected a memory card issue so have formatted the card and that hasn't helped. I've also tried a soft reset which doesn't appear to have helped either.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance...
Which FW version ?

Try to reflash it with same FW.

Thanks for the advice niko. Any idea where I can download the firmware file?

Are you using the same microSD card that was causing your Mini 0801 to lock all files??
It could be you have a faulty or fake card...:(

Hope the re-flash of the FW 20140510 V1.o fixes it.

Thanks both. Much appreciated. I'll try reflashing my camera and see how it goes.

Are you using the same microSD card that was causing your Mini 0801 to lock all files??
No, a different card which was working initially so I don't think that's the problem.

Did you try deleting the existing files to make some space before you formatted it? The problem may just have been that there was no space left and it couldn't make space for some reason.

Now you have formatted the card, it is possible that the original problem is solved but the current problem is that the card is not formatted correctly. I had the same problem with mine until I managed to format it correctly, I'm not sure what the correct formatting method is though, doing it from the camera menu didn't seem to work, doing it on the PC did when I used the correct format...

I have exactly the same problem, I bought two units from Eprance both with FW 20140510 V1.o They are in two totally different vehicles Honda Accord and Suzuki Jimny both will either start recording when the ignition is on then just stop recording for no reason, blue light stays on solid. Or they switch themselves off after twenty minuets. Both are GPS with 8GB internal and an External slot. If the units stop recording and I manually start them recording they will at random stop again. I just did a 90 minute journey today it recorded 2 minuets of the trip. There were no other files on the device. This is very poor, it defeats the idea of having the device in the first place. Lucky for me I bought through Amazon and will be returning them tomorrow. I also suffered the startup freeze whereby I just had to let it run out of power in order to get it to work again. Shame picture is good when it works. But can you imagine having an accident where it would be crucial to have video evidence only to find it had recorded nothing..

I dont understand why people are having these issues, my 0803 on 0510 firmware has worked extremely well and has so far shown no signs of temperament. My only issue is the mute bug everything else works as designed. The only differences between my 0803 and others is the SD card, I use a Samsung 32gb.

Bought mine from Eprance via Amazon, not having any problems with it either. The mount is a bit slacker than I would like and I'll probably do the paper shimming mod at some point, but apart from that ....
Went for a run to Settle yesterday, 37 miles there, 43 back over various types of road from smooth & straight to twisty & bumpy and it has recorded every minute of the journey.
Using Scandisk 32gb class 10 card.

Frank

I dont understand why people are having these issues, my 0803 on 0510 firmware has worked extremely well and has so far shown no signs of temperament. My only issue is the mute bug everything else works as designed. The only differences between my 0803 and others is the SD card, I use a Samsung 32gb.
I'm sorry if expressing my experiences of TWO units does not match your own. Or are you afraid yours may be next?
For all you know I like the other chap on here may have faulty units from the same batch, yours may be fine forever and a day. It is only when people like myself and others are allowed to express our experiences do we contribute the the community by providing feed back that you can take on board or choose to ignore. Bottom line I am very disappointed in the units I have purchased.
Video quality is great but the unit is unreliable. I have had the unit just under two weeks and the mounts are shockingly loose. Why should I dismantle something that is new to make it good. Both units lock up on boot and both now switch themselves off when they choose. BTW both my units are 8GB internal with an external slot not used and GPS.

I'm sorry if expressing my experiences of TWO units does not match your own. Or are you afraid yours may be next?
For all you know I like the other chap on here may have faulty units from the same batch, yours may be fine forever and a day. It is only when people like myself and others are allowed to express our experiences do we contribute the the community by providing feed back that you can take on board or choose to ignore. Bottom line I am very disappointed in the units I have purchased.
Video quality is great but the unit is unreliable. I have had the unit just under two weeks and the mounts are shockingly loose. Why should I dismantle something that is new to make it good. Both units lock up on boot and both now switch themselves off when they choose. BTW both my units are 8GB internal with an external slot not used and GPS.
I think that David106 was trying to point out it could have been a micro SD card issue. This could still be the case in that you might have faulty internal micro SD card problems (would be very unlucky to have this issue with both units).

Anyhow here are few things you could try:-
1. Check that the units are getting constant power from the GPS mounts (wriggle the units gently in their mounts when the ignition is on to see if they loose power). The solid blue light issue seems to happen most when units are powering down and are then restarted when the power down sequence hasn't been completed. When this happens carry out a 'soft reset' by holding down the power button for ~30 seconds rather than waiting for the battery to die. If losing power then attach the micro USB connector directly into the top of the Mini 0803 instead.
2. Try doing a 'soft reset' anyhow, after turning on your units manually.
3. Try re-formatting the 'internal' memory on both 0803's.
4. Check it is set to recycle 1/3/5 mins in the menu setting.
5. Check it is set to record to internal memory in the menu setting.
6. Keep you fingers crossed or that Amazon receipt to hand (whichever suits best).

Hope that one or some of the above helps & good luck!;)

Last edited:
I have had the unit just under two weeks and the mounts are shockingly loose.
Are you supplying the power to the camera or to the mount?

If it is to the mount then maybe the looseness is the cause of the shutdowns, if it is to the camera then it must be something else...

Of course you shouldn't have to tighten the mount yourself as it isn't adjustable, but many people will choose to do so if they consider it easier than sending it back.

Mine has also been reliable, except for after I pulled the card out while it was still writing and left a corrupt file on the card and when the card filled up with non-deleteable files due to the G-Sensor being set too low.

The questionable stability of Mini 0801 seems to have carried over to the 0803.
Let's hope the firmware is stable at some point.
(hard to do, especially across multiple fragmented factories with slight spec variations which is most likely the root cause)

Thank you everybody for your tips and feedback.
I had the camera hard wired to the mount.
@Hilts I had tried most of your suggestions and whilst they seem to work they are only temporary. My main concern is it not being reliable. Just my luck when I need evidence the thing will have shut down and I wont have anything. I have the Amazon return labels ready, I will try again tomorrow before I send it back, I have a 100 mile trip. Before I set off I will do Hilts suggestions again.

I will try again tomorrow before I send it back, I have a 100 mile trip. Before I set off I will do Hilts suggestions again.
Can you plug the power cable into the top of the camera for your test instead of into the mount? It should work exactly the same.

Back