0805 Questions

TorontoListener

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi, I just got the 0805 and have a couple of questions:

- it doesn't seem to start recording all the time when I turn the car on, e.g., I must hit the button
- audio is apparently muted by default, is this normal?
- when I remove the camera from the car and examine it, I can hear a "clunking" sound when I turn it over. What is that?

1 - it doesn't seem to start recording all the time when I turn the car on, e.g., I must hit the button
2 - audio is apparently muted by default, is this normal?
3 - when I remove the camera from the car and examine it, I can hear a "clunking" sound when I turn it over. What is that?

1, are you using the included power cord or something else?
2, not normal, firmware dependant as to how this functions, could be a bug in your version
3, spare parts (this is not normal, something is amiss)

Thanks, here is some clarification:
- it's the OEM power cord
- I'll double-check the microphone mute
- I should have been more specific on the "clunking" sound - it is coming from the speaker, as if it is detecting movement.

if not powering on with the standard power lead something is wrong, sounds like a hardware problem
mute should stay at whatever it is set at previously regardless of rebooting, this has been a long term bug in this series although normally the other way around, won't stay off
clunking is not normal, if there's something rattling around inside it may be something to do with the problems you're having, been dropped maybe, talk to whoever you bought it off

I've not had any issues with mute on the one here - maybe it's the microphone that's broken inside? If you press the up button I think it is that should toggle the mic - worth a go but like Jokiin says sounds like it's time for an RMA!

- it doesn't seem to start recording all the time when I turn the car on, e.g., I must hit the button
- audio is apparently muted by default, is this normal?
- when I remove the camera from the car and examine it, I can hear a "clunking" sound when I turn it over. What is that?
1. Try pausing for a few seconds between turning on the ignition and starting the car... does that help?

2. Should remember its last state.

3. Is the sound coming out of the speaker or is the speaker rattling - I think the speaker is only held in by sticky tape so if it wasn't pushed together firmly it could be loose. It's also possible the battery is rattling, that is not very firmly attached.

The sound is coming from the speaker, it's not broken.

Done some more testing. Sometimes when the unit is powered on, it will record for about 12 seconds, then stop. A red message appears saying {Card size limit for video recording}
Then I must hit OK to record again. The MicroSD card is a Sony 32GB, formatted in the camera. Any issues with this card?

You really need to run the card through something like h2testw from here to see if it's actually ok or not - could just be a faulty card?

http://www.heise.de/download/h2testw.html

What spec is the microSD and where was it purchased from? Have you got any others you could try?

OK, newbie mistake I suppose, Motion Detect was on, which meant it stopped recording if it sensed no motion, yet it would do this in a moving car. Maybe I'm driving too smoothly!

Thanks for the help!

Any suggestions on resolution settings? I have it on 1080 30p, Normal Quality to conserve space on the 32GB card. I'd like to have several hours on it before it loops to erase old material.

To be honest I'm just running the one here at 2560x1080 on super fine to maximise the quality - if you're happy with the quality on 1080p 30fps normal that should be fine though!

Motion detection can be hit and miss so I just have it turned off :) That makes sense though as maybe it wasn't recording because it was waiting for motion first!

What size card do you have, and how many hours before it starts looping?

I'm using a 32GB card in the 0805, but it uses variable bitrate video files so you never really know how much will go on there as it depends on what rate it was running at. At night time it uses quite a bit less so you may find you'd fit say 9 hours of night driving on there but only 4 hours of daytime driving.

The easiest way to work it out is do your usual driving, and then run some of the files through this:

http://www.winhoros.de/docs/bitrate-viewer/

That will give you an average bitrate for the files, and then once you have that number you can feed that into this:

https://dashcamtalk.com/recording-time-calculator/

And then that will tell you how much you can get onto various sizes of cards :)

What size card do you have, and how many hours before it starts looping?
I have 265 1 min clips on a Transcend 32GB card with about 500MB free space and it has been looping because it is on AMBA0271 as the first file.
My file sizes average between 100MB and 120MB per file and my bit rate is about 13MB.
Hope that helps.

Back