0805 Switching Off on Start

garrycol

Reaction score
Country
Australia
When first starting my car there is a 1 sec pause between ignition on and actually starting as the car goes through a systems check process - this upsets the 0805 and it comes on and then switches off.

When starting first thing, you switch the ignition on and the 0805 comes on - there is a pause for about a second where the car systems check is done and you then hit the starter. The car diverts all power to the starter so power to the 0805 is momently cut and the 0805 starts it shut down sequence - once the engine fires power is restored to the power citrcuits but as the 0805 is still going through its shutdown it does not recognise it now has power and stays off - I would have thought that when the 0805 has external power it would be on and when there is no power it would be off but that does not seem to be the case and it worked in a sequence.

As I can see the screen of the 0805 I can just switch it back on with the switch but I am thinking of using a 0805 for the back windscreen which will be a nuisance if it does not come on.

After the car has been running and switched off the the systems check does not happen and the car starts normally and the 0805 has no issue.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Garry

Report to whom - my seller just sells not much more.

Just curious where did you buy it from? Name of store/supplier?

Last edited:
It is getting cold here now and this has become a real issue. As morning temps are getting down to -5c and we are not yet in winter, my engine requires time for glow plugs to activate before start. You turn on the ignition (dash cam comes on) and before starting the engine you may have to wait for up to 5 secs until the glow plug light goes out and then start the engine - as soon as the engine starts and you go back to the normal ignition position the dash cam switches off and then you have to turn it back on manually.

The seller was just a generic reseller of many different items so is not interested.

As asked earlier - any ideas on how to fix this as it precludes me installing a second cam in the rear as it will not been effective to turn it on manually. Yes I can then turn the engine back off and straight back on as the glow plug delay is not necessary but that is additional unnecessary wear an tear on the starting and electrical systems.

Thanks

Garry

fuse-tap.jpg USB-fusetap-2.jpg USB-fusetap.jpg What settings do you have for....
1) In the menu select ‘Auto Power Off’, then press OK button to enter, use the UP and DOWN buttons to scroll through options and press OK to confirm. (OFF, 1min, 3min, 5min)
2) In the menu select ‘Power Off Screen’, then press OK button to enter, use the UP and DOWN buttons to scroll through options and press OK to confirm. (OFF / 1min / 3min / 5min)

UPDATE: ok, i went out and changed both settings. For me, i have 10 seconds to cam turn off in all settings above. As long as power is restored within the 10 seconds, all settings will keep the cam running without shutting down. So........ changing setting make no difference and wont help you any. :(

I would think that some fuse you have will have power during 'glow plug' and 'start engine' , WITHOUT power interrupt between the two functions. If you find that, you can 'fuse tap' into it, and attach a 5V power supply to it. I can think of 2 different 5V power supplies, one is the cig lighter with USB plug in it, the other is a 5V converter sold expecially for cams like 805. (Pics of a fuse-tap and the two 5V power supplies added to top of comment)

Even better would be to 'fuse tap' into a "key on" only, like windshield wipers or heated seats fuse, that doesnt power when doing 'glow plug'/start-crank only function!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments and the checking. The Cam is just plugged into the 12v cigarette lighter socket. The issue is in the Dashcam as when the car is running with 12v supplied the dash cam does not come back on. As mentioned when power is cut the Cam should stay on for 10 secs before auto cutoff - even with full glow plug warmup time it is less than 10secs so the Cam should stay on even if power is momentarily lost and be on with 12v connected to it when the car is running but it is off.

I was going to get a 0806 for the front and move the 0805 I have to the rear but given the issues I am having I think I will look for other brands and install this crappy 0805 to a car that does not have switched power to its 12v sockets and just switch it on and off manually on the rare occasion I use this car.

Last edited:
So I need a different cam - one that is simply on when 12v is applied to it

Back