0806 formats in exfat - Android doesn't like that...

erkme73

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
a119v3 x 4
For the first time since having both the Android head unit and 0806, today I attempted to play back recorded segments from the camera by putting the µSD card into the head unit. No dice. Android (AOSP) does not recognize the exfat format. That is something I knew, but since my Samsung Note 4 has Touchwiz, it has no issues with exfat.

Sadly, this means unless I format the cards in NTFS or FAT32, it doesn't look like I'll have that plug-n-play luxury I'd envisioned.

For grins, I had the head unit format the camera card - at which Android recognized the correct capacity and directory structure. I then put that card in the 0806, and weird things started to happen.

1) The camera didn't automatically start recording at power up. It just sat there in standby mode. It eventually powered off (timed out).
2) I manually hit the record button, and the camera appeared to be working just find. I let it record several 3-minute segments, and then pulled the power. At that point, instead of shutting down, some never-seen-before warning popped up saying something like "Card not optimal, format now?" I selected no, and then it just sat there, not recording, but not powering down (though eventually it shut down due to power off timer).
4) The files that were created on the android-formatted µSD showed properly on the head unit, but when I tried to play them, my default player (MX Player) locked up.

Just a heads up to anyone intending on using an AOSP-based (non-Touchwiz) Android device to play the exfat formatted cards - it won't work.

If you format it on a PC in FAT32 then you will probably get both the camera and your android to read it, the 0806 is perfectly happy with FAT32 as long as it is the correct FAT32, maybe the cluster size needs to be correct. Try guiformat.exe to format it.

Pier28 was also mentioning a program ( that I cant remember ) but it had to do with cluster size in the drop down menu.

I like how you lot here continue to suggest/improve on massive manufactured products like this one.

Thanks Nigel. That's what I'm looking for - someone who knows the intricacies of formatting FAT32 to a 64GB (or greater) card for the 0806. I've done so in the past using 3rd-party formatting tools, but I could waste hours/days on trying to find the right variables. Hoping someone can verify whether the default settings would work.

In the interim, I've used the guiformat app to format a spare 64GB using the default cluster size. I put it in a spare 0806, and sure enough, it performs (at least initially) as though it had been formatted exfat via the camera.

I then put the card in my HU, and while it did recognize the correct size, file structure, and the MOV clips, none of the players (stock or third-party) were able to make sense of the video file. I'd get a spinning wheel, and eventually a force close.

It may well be the 2560x1080p resolution that's just too much for the HU.

Format it FAT32 using the 'Disk Utility' app on any Mac desktop or laptop computer, you don't need to worry about the cluster size or any other settings just so long as you select MS-DOS (FAT) from the format drop-down menu. I'm currently using a Kingston 64GB card in the 0806 but did actually test a Sandisk 128GB card in the 0806 and it worked fine, all formatted FAT32.

Seem to remember I posted info about formatting FAT32 in one of the threads last week whilst in conversation with isoprop, but cannot for the life of me remember which thread I posted it in which is annoying because cluster size information was also provided - if I find it I will post the info on here!

Thanks Richcam. I just tested the same file on the fat32 formatted card, on my Galaxy Note 4, and it played just fine. Smooth, instant playback. I think at this point, the card is readable, and works as it should. I just think the HU is either underpowered to play the high resolution of the 0806, or I'm missing a codec on the HU that I have on the phone.

Thanks Richcam. I just tested the same file on the fat32 formatted card, on my Galaxy Note 4, and it played just fine. Smooth, instant playback. I think at this point, the card is readable, and works as it should. I just think the HU is either underpowered to play the high resolution of the 0806, or I'm missing a codec on the HU that I have on the phone.

No worries, am just pleased you managed to get it working in FAT32.

I found the thread I mentioned earlier, which actually related to using the Mobius, and pages 5 and 6 are the ones containing the info on formatting FAT32 and cluster sizes, etc.
Link is https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-actioncam-wishlist-2015.11108/page-6

For info, the consensus on here appears to be that the cluster size 32768 is very reliable when formatting larger 64GB and 128GB cards in FAT32, I haven't a clue what all this means apart from the card works properly, will leave the clever tech stuff to far more knowledgeable members on here who actually know what they are talking about :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a followup. I continued to experiment with the HU to get it to play the videos. Turns out I was missing a codec for the MX Player app. It was present on my smartphone, but not on the HU. After installing it, MX plays the video. Unfortunately, the HU is, in fact, underpowered to play the 2560x1080 resolution. The resulting video plays at about half the frame rate (slo-mo) w/choppy audio. Better than nothing, but not useful enough to warrant any further testing. From here on out, if I need a player, the card will go into my Note 4 via the OTG adapter.

Back