0806 turning off by it self just under 1 year ole :(

CamBurn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mini 0806 3rd gen firmware 150512
I don't always hear it turning off but I have heard it shutting down as if I had cut the power etc
But it seems to be a random shutdown.
It also happens when parked! I checked it was working when left the car but only blue light on when I returned to car!

Had quick search and found this post. Is there any other things that can fxi this problem or is it a dead loss?
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/on-off-issue.20604/#post-285922

Pins looks fine, mount seems tight, when working recording ok etc.
Is this the time to dismantle and get my soldering iron out?

Appreciate any ideas that don't include using a hammer on it!

PS. Just checked and waiting for cam to turn off.
It started flashing the red and green lights erratically for about 30 seconds, then they went back to flashing normally for a few minutes.
Then red and green stopped flashing and stayed on for about 1 minute. Red and green both went out at same time leaving only blue light lit.
Then cam shut down with the usual sound. I don't have the screen on when in use!

Last 2 recorded files play 100% ok.
2nd from last file is 650mb's
Last file is 146mb's!

Last edited:
There are multiple threads here with the blue light only and shut down problem. One of them is mine. I experimented and it appeared to me the problem was in the 0806 unit (and not the GPS mount since I tried two; and not the uSD card). I don't open up units myself and came to conclusion it was probably the battery. (I also tested the voltage/amperage going out of the USB and it was also fine). I bought another unit from a vendor here (www.grdian.com) who will fix the unit if there is a battery problem.

Joel

There are multiple threads here with the blue light only and shut down problem. One of them is mine. I experimented and it appeared to me the problem was in the 0806 unit (and not the GPS mount since I tried two; and not the uSD card). I don't open up units myself and came to conclusion it was probably the battery. (I also tested the voltage/amperage going out of the USB and it was also fine). I bought another unit from a vendor here (www.grdian.com) who will fix the unit if there is a battery problem.

Joel
Thanx Joel
Yeah I actually pasted one of your posts about the problem as it sounded very close my problem.

I'll have another search and read of related posts about the the problem and see if anything else that might shed light on a possible fix!

Did you try updating the firmware or reinstating the current version you have installed?
As far as I know I have the latest version going on their website.
I think I might have the same battery issue, because I had the cam on usb for 40 mins yesterday and now when I tried to power it up it's dead. In the past it would always power up even for a minute or 8 minutes when I first got it!

Do you or anyone else know if the manufacturer has posted a reply about this problem defining exactly what the issue is, as it seems an issue they should take an interest in?

1. I don't play with the firmware - I stick to whatever comes with the unit.
2. My understanding is that when you get this unit you are on your own "Go With G-d". I was not aware of any support provided by the manufacturer.

Joel

1. I don't play with the firmware - I stick to whatever comes with the unit.
2. My understanding is that when you get this unit you are on your own "Go With G-d". I was not aware of any support provided by the manufacturer.

Joel
I've been flashing stuff for years so I might give it a go.
But I had cam on charge via my PC for 40 mins last night and it's got a dead bat this morning, so that may well be the issue as it's always turned on before on its own battery power even for a few seconds.

I thought I remember seeing a post by someone saying they would look into the issue of the 0806 not taking a photo when in best video quality mode. I guess I was mistaken but it gave me the impression that he was connected to the maker in some way!

Haven't really got spare cash to buy another one, I was planning on buying a 2nd unit for rear window of car, but now I have nothing.
I might try and change the bat out if I can find an exact replacement and see if that works.

Anyone know where I can buy a spare bat?

This is a strange coincidence but starting yesterday my 2 month old unit that I purchased to replace an 0806 that was going into blue light only mode started itself to blue light only. I reset the unit and then I noticed a red error on the screen (go try reading anything that small with bifocals :) ) about the card. So I reformatted the card and now its been working fine so far ever since. This unit gave me a 'fragment error' message a few weeks back which I check in about here and I solved that problem also by reformatting the card. I had been using the recommended card which was a 64 gb samsung pro +. Sounds like I may need to get another card....

This is a strange coincidence but starting yesterday my 2 month old unit that I purchased to replace an 0806 that was going into blue light only mode started itself to blue light only. I reset the unit and then I noticed a red error on the screen (go try reading anything that small with bifocals :) ) about the card. So I reformatted the card and now its been working fine so far ever since. This unit gave me a 'fragment error' message a few weeks back which I check in about here and I solved that problem also by reformatting the card. I had been using the recommended card which was a 64 gb samsung pro +. Sounds like I may need to get another card....
Interesting. I did think about formatting the card but I've never had any bad files.
But I tried again charging the bat for 1 hour and as soon as I unplugged I tried to turn it on but nothing, so the bat on my 0806 is completely dead.
Actually even the smaller files that I have recorded when the cam stopped are all playable, it seems to be doing a normal shut down or at least has done up to now.

I'm going to order a new bat, but they're not easy to find in the UK. I would like to fit a better one in so this doesn't happen again.
Annoying they saved a bit of money and put such a crap battery in the 0806.

Also annoying I can't test the cam plugged into my PC! For that I need a spare gps base. Shame they didn't make that split so you could slide it off the windscreen. But I've tested it the car anyways with power constant with engine off so it's not a vibration issue either.

BTW; mine when powered up in the car always comes on and starts recording, then at some point 2, 5 or maybe more minutes into drive shuts down. If I "turn it off and on again" at power source it start recording again just fine until the next blues moment!
Funny, this blue light is reminding of the blue screen of death in MS Windows :(

Update;
Had cam recording for an hour with no problems via USB powered from computer!
All files play back ok
So is this two different problems at the same time.
Bad bat.
Bad GPS base! :confused:

Update on my update!
Left my 0806 running with my car parked today. Power directly to cam, not via GPS base this time!
It ran for 39 minutes and then stopped.
Just the blue LED lit when I returned to the car.
I've disk checked the sd card, no corruption, no bad sectors, it's all good!
As usual, when cam turned back on it starts recording again.

Last edited:
Had had blue light earlier this week - I reformatted the card and have driven the car a bunch since then without absolutely a single hiccup. Suggest you reformat in the unit and/or try another micro-sd card.

Another unlikely but possible problem could be your power. You may want to check the voltage and amperage coming out of you sd port/connector. This is what I used to make sure all is OK - highly recommended https://www.amazon.com/gp/B013FANC9W

Had had blue light earlier this week - I reformatted the card and have driven the car a bunch since then without absolutely a single hiccup. Suggest you reformat in the unit and/or try another micro-sd card.

Another unlikely but possible problem could be your power. You may want to check the voltage and amperage coming out of you sd port/connector. This is what I used to make sure all is OK - highly recommended https://www.amazon.com/gp/B013FANC9W
Hi Joel
Yeah thanx I had a look at that tester when you posted link previously. Might end up trying that.
Didn't really want to change the card as not cheap 128gb SanDis, but lot cheaper than a year ago.
But like I said there are no errors after a very long disk check, no bad sectors, no corrupted files etc etc.
But I will reformat after a couple of other checks if slot A doesn't fix it.
I've used both sd slots, but the card has been in slot B for most of the year I've had it.
Will test it in slot A, but with the way I have it installed slot A will get hotter than slot B because slot A is at the top!
I might need to be sure and get another sd card and test to be sure it's not the card even if I format it, but need to try a few other things like direct power without plugging into GPS base. If that works it points to the GPS even if cam not powered via the GPS base. That's sounds stupid but I'll try it anyway as my feeling is it might be a combination of things like a dead bat and GPS when connected dipping power too low and it shuts down!
Just a big fat guess and is probably wrong.

I did that switching back and forth on the GPS base when my previous unit blue lighted - didn't make a difference. And just because your card tests clean means diddly imho. The only way to know for sure if it is a card or not is to try another card. It may have something to do with the transfer rate, for example and if it can't do its I/O to the card, it errors and never makes a change to the card which still looks clean. If you are concerned about price, get a smaller one like a 16gb for testing.

Now that I have had two 0806s blue light on me, I am beginning to suspect the only thing they had in common (other than the USB power from my car) was the 64gb Samsung Pro +. So far after a reset and reformat, the latest unit is looking fine. But if it blue lights again or gives me a 'fragment error', I'm going to change cards. As a wedding videographer I purchased SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB cards for my cameras. I'm thinking of trying the micro-SD version for my next purchase. Going price is $28 on ebay - not too bad.

The only thing I can see right now is when it's in the car it blue lights, when on the PC usb power it works fine, no blue light! Had it running for almost 2 hours last night on PC power.
Unplugged while recording and it shut off, no clean shut down as bat was dead!
This is an annoying task of elimination, so hopefully I'll get there.
Next test is car power but just leave cam resting on the dash and not plugged into GPS base.
If it blue light again I would think cigar lighter socket or cable to cam!
Need to check port A also.

I'll follow your advice and get another card anyway, so at least I'll have one to try if it still keeps getting the blues!
I guess it could be a transfer rate issue, but as far as playback which I always do with cam plugged into PC with sd card left in cam it looks fine. But recording is another story of course.
BTW it's a SanDisk Ultra 128GB Micro SD XCI

Cam ran for 2 hours today direct car power.
When I then plugged into GPS mount still on direct power to cam it ran for 1 hour then blue light!

When you say reset, do you me you reset cam to factory settings?
What firmware do you have installed?

Last edited:
yes choose reset and format from the unit's menu. I have whatever firmware came with the unit. Try the Samsung Pro + 64. The fact that it ran for a while and then stopped could be an I/O error or a data transfer error. If you want to stick with SanDisk, go faster like the Extreme Pro (with 95 Mb/s transfer rates). The 64 GB card is $29 US on eBay.

yes choose reset and format from the unit's menu. I have whatever firmware came with the unit. Try the Samsung Pro + 64. The fact that it ran for a while and then stopped could be an I/O error or a data transfer error. If you want to stick with SanDisk, go faster like the Extreme Pro (with 95 Mb/s transfer rates). The 64 GB card is $29 US on eBay.
I want to try and find out what exactly is going on with the cam so I'll do things in small steps.
I checked and rechecked the card using a couple of tools but no errors. But I did format it in the end as FAT32
I think I had it as exfat previously!
I did not reset the cam or update the firmware for now.

It's had a 4 hour test in car while parked powered via GPS base and it kept running for all of that time.
Can see at the start the green and red flashing looks a little out of sync that it did before but no idea why.

I think it says in the manual the can't can't format a card over 32GB. It wont format my 128GB card so I used a sd formatting tool.

The cam actually did stop recording before I formatted the card, the error in red didn't even stay on screen for half a second so maybe I missed this before, but I don't think so.

Not sure if the card having problems was caused by the bat going dead. But I'll report back if it has any further issues.

I have two MINIs 0806 one year old. After one year both of them have defective battery and one of them out of focus now. Both of them have "blue light issue" now.
First I opened " out of focus" camera. Battery was like a balloon! Twice bigger then it should be! I replaced defective Li-ion 3.7v/180 battery and it solve "out of focus" and "shutting down" issues.
"Blue light" still here but I know exactly it is SD card error. Camera stop recording and ****ting down. Camera format doesn't help. Computer format(stock program) can help for 24-48 hours only. Hard reset no luck. I believe it is firmware problem.

SD card error( camera stop recording and shutting down, blue light only) solved. Bought Kingston 32 GB UI 3 (4K2K) micro SD card. This card is High speed 90Mb/s Read and 80Mb/s Write. MINI 0806 is 2K camera and Class 10 micro SD card dosen't have enough speed for 2K video. 3 days using my camera and no issues but before I had "blue light" twice a day!

I just had something similar happen to my 806. It would shutdown after exactly 1 minute. I turned off the auto power-off and it stayed on. I checked the recordings and it didn't seem to save properly. I updated to the latest firmware from the website and then formatted the SD card on my computer then the camera. So far so good, it's been recording for over 5hrs from my computer's power. I've filled up the card now and all the data seems to be fine. I'm powering it from the GPS base.

I think it was a bad SD card.

if you have such problem frequently, please try with the VIDEO QUALITY set to NORMAL to make the video bit rate lower, it will be better;

if you have such problem frequently, please try with the VIDEO QUALITY set to NORMAL to make the video bit rate lower, it will be better;

It will be better my making the video quality worse? :confused:

it is not "worse"
but make it from 95% perfect to 90% perfect or 85% perfect. :)
please believe the image quality from 0806 is 20% better than the comon products on market.

Back