0906 falling off

smarty156

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone else had a problem with the pads not sticking to either the windscreen or the mount?
A few weeks back the mount came away from my windscreen. The sticky pad was still attached to the mount but it had come clean away from the screen. I stuck another pad onto the existing pad and put it back on the windscreen. Yesterday the camera was hanging by the cables again but the sticky pads were still attached to the screen but they had come clean off the plastic mount.
Any ideas on something stronger so this doesn't keep happening?

You need to clean the glass properly before using the sticky pad, sticky pads do not stick to grease. Use a cloth with some washing up liquid on to remove the grease and then dry it thoroughly with paper kitchen towels. The paper is slightly abrasive and will leave a good surface for the pad to get hold of. Then warm the glass up with the car heater before sticking the pad to the glass, it should be at 20 - 30C for a really good grip.

Most people only have problems removing the pads, not getting them to stick, but they definitely don't stick to grease or road grime.

Anyone else had a problem with the pads not sticking to either the windscreen or the mount?
A few weeks back the mount came away from my windscreen. The sticky pad was still attached to the mount but it had come clean away from the screen. I stuck another pad onto the existing pad and put it back on the windscreen. Yesterday the camera was hanging by the cables again but the sticky pads were still attached to the screen but they had come clean off the plastic mount.
Any ideas on something stronger so this doesn't keep happening?
Like the above member said, make sure your glass is properly cleaned prior to attaching the stickies. I do a thorough cleaning with a proper glass cleaner and then wipe down with rubbing alcohol and another dry wipe to get rid of any residue. Never had issues with this stuff falling off. In fact, quite the opposite. Getting it off when needed proved to be a chore. Also, applying in really cold temperatures isn't recommended either!

Good luck!

Glass was totally clean. However, it's the plastic mount that has come away from the sticky pad - it's still stuck to the glass!

Glass was totally clean. However, it's the plastic mount that has come away from the sticky pad - it's still stuck to the glass!
Hmmmm...I can totally see this as being a bit of an issue here. When ever I have to re-position my cameras, at least on the 0906, the sticky pad comes off the device first. The only thing I can think off is also wiping the device part with alcohol prior to applying a new sticky pad.

Hope it helps!

acetone will "fog" the plastic and remove any oils be very careful though after wiping you will need to clean it with regular alcohol

I'm having the same problem with 2 separate cameras (both mini0906)/cars. The adhesive remains stuck to the windshield on both cars, the camera side has fallen off. It's just the front cameras, rear seems to be holding up fine.

I used to work on this machinery that required us to use some self adhesive strips to secure tie-wraps to the chassis. I remember watching one of the guys using a drop of super glue to the self adhesive strip. He said that without it when under heat the strips were coming loose.
Might want to try that or what I prefer use some clear RTV silicone.

I used to work on this machinery that required us to use some self adhesive strips to secure tie-wraps to the chassis. I remember watching one of the guys using a drop of super glue to the self adhesive strip. He said that without it when under heat the strips were coming loose.
Might want to try that or what I prefer use some clear RTV silicone.

we have a large volume user that reports a similar thing where they put a small drop of superglue on the plastic before applying the adhesive and says it never comes off like that

Does anyone have a link to recommended replacement sticky pads? I've used up all the extra pads that came with my original order. I did use alcohol to clean the surface before each time but I've noticed during temperature fluctuations it ends up coming off the windshield.

I glued the module to the cold glass after wiping it with alcohol. White side of the sticker to the module, red side to the glass. When it was necessary to tear off the module for replacement, I can did it with very great effort, the thread was torn

we have a large volume user that reports a similar thing where they put a small drop of superglue on the plastic before applying the adhesive and says it never comes off like that

So what happens when at some future date you need to remove the mounting plate and then want to apply a new piece of 3M VHB tape to the mount, say to move the camera to a different vehicle or need to replace a windshield?

I wasn't aware it was called "3M VHB" tape. Thanks. Now I know to order. The tape I originally received did not have any markings, just red on one side and white on the other.

It will probably say Scotch brand on the label, but it is the 3M VHB tape being referred to here.

I wasn't aware it was called "3M VHB" tape. Thanks. Now I know to order. The tape I originally received did not have any markings, just red on one side and white on the other.

As @TexMex mentioned, the package will say Scotch (and 3M). The tape itself will have a red protective release tape on one side that will say 3M VHB™ (Very High Bond).

3mvhb.jpg

vhb.jpg

Last edited:
So what happens when at some future date you need to remove the mounting plate and then want to apply a new piece of 3M VHB tape to the mount, say to move the camera to a different vehicle or need to replace a windshield?

at that point you have some work ahead of you, it's not impossible to get off, but it's not easy either

at that point you have some work ahead of you, it's not impossible to get off, but it's not easy either

I'm not a fan of this superglue idea. I'd prefer to have the 3M tape do what it is supposed to do in the first place. Over the years, I haven't previously run into this problem on the various dash cams I've owned until it began happening repeatedly with the SG9665GC and now we are hearing reports of the identical issue with the mini-0906. Either the tapes are defective or counterfeit or there is some issue with adhesion to certain plastic polymers.

As for the superglue remedy, perhaps there is some other adhesive that would be more forgiving and less permanent? A tiny dab of hot glue maybe?

As for the superglue remedy, perhaps there is some other adhesive that would be more forgiving and less permanent? A tiny dab of hot glue maybe?

the superglue method (you only need a tiny amount) isn't permanent, just not very forgiving

another thing which I hesitate to advise people to do, particularly for the 0906 as there are electronics inside the mount is to hit the surface of the plastic with a flame, it changes the surface properties of the plastic and stops the outgassing of the material

the superglue method (you only need a tiny amount) isn't permanent, just not very forgiving

another thing which I hesitate to advise people to do, particularly for the 0906 as there are electronics inside the mount is to hit the surface of the plastic with a flame, it changes the surface properties of the plastic and stops the outgassing of the material

The flame idea sounds interesting but I can see where that might be a problem. I think I would opt for a heat gun or hair dryer where one would have much greater control and a more even application of heat.

The flame idea sounds interesting but I can see where that might be a problem. I think I would opt for a heat gun or hair dryer where one would have much greater control and a more even application of heat.

it's not the heat, you need the flame, same process won't work with a heat gun, same process is often used on plastics that need to be painted so that the primer/paint will stick without issues

Back