1 Minute File Length?

Billy888

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I like to film excursions on the road, and I have used my GoPro in the past to do so.

I'm currently eyeing up the Garmin 55, but read online that the saved files are in 1 minute chunks. Is this true?

Thx.

Hi Billy

The files recorded to the 'unsaved video' folder are each just 1 minute long - these are the ones that will be overwritten once you've reached your micro sd cards capacity.

If you instruct the dash cam to 'save video' via the voice command it saves a 3 minute video to the 'saved videos' folder. This saved video seems to cover a period from both before & after the voice command & because it's in the saved videos folder it won't be overwritten if your card is full.

I've been using the Garmin 55 for approx. a month now & have to say, with one reservation, I'm very impressed. It's my first dash cam, but have dabbled with my father-in-laws Next Base & whilst the footage is probably similar, the file structure for the Next Base when connected to a computer is terrible.

The one reservation I have being the unsolicited recordings it can make when the dash cam obviously thinks you've instructed it via voice command but you were in fact chatting to someone else in the car or it's picked up something off the radio. This seems to happen quite frequently & it would be good if Garmin could fix this via a firmware update - making sure the dash cam has to have a very definite 'OK Garmin' command before it decides to react. You can switch off voice command, but I see this as a very useful feature as I assume the alternative would involve having to pull over & press various buttons to save a section of video? So, I keep voice command on & just re-format the memory card quite frequently to get rid of the unwanted saved files.

Hope this helps

Dash :cool:

Awesome reply Dash.

A three minute maximum file length is a bit on the short side.

Thanks again.

Billy

Hi Billy

The files recorded to the 'unsaved video' folder are each just 1 minute long - these are the ones that will be overwritten once you've reached your micro sd cards capacity.

If you instruct the dash cam to 'save video' via the voice command it saves a 3 minute video to the 'saved videos' folder. This saved video seems to cover a period from both before & after the voice command & because it's in the saved videos folder it won't be overwritten if your card is full.

I've been using the Garmin 55 for approx. a month now & have to say, with one reservation, I'm very impressed. It's my first dash cam, but have dabbled with my father-in-laws Next Base & whilst the footage is probably similar, the file structure for the Next Base when connected to a computer is terrible.

The one reservation I have being the unsolicited recordings it can make when the dash cam obviously thinks you've instructed it via voice command but you were in fact chatting to someone else in the car or it's picked up something off the radio. This seems to happen quite frequently & it would be good if Garmin could fix this via a firmware update - making sure the dash cam has to have a very definite 'OK Garmin' command before it decides to react. You can switch off voice command, but I see this as a very useful feature as I assume the alternative would involve having to pull over & press various buttons to save a section of video? So, I keep voice command on & just re-format the memory card quite frequently to get rid of the unwanted saved files.

Hope this helps

Dash :cool:

Get a 128GB sd card and you won't have to worry about telling the camera to save, you will have plenty of time to go and get your files

For trip videos a dashcam are not optimal i think, the lenses used are a little too wide, for a trip video i would prefer to not have the dashboard and A pillars in the frame.

In regard to file segment size it dont matter much if you have 38 Gb of video in 20 segments or 68, what might constitute a problem is if the files have a overlap as some dashcams have.
So to get a nice output footage you need to remove the overlap, and if you have to do that manually in post production, then yes 68 segments will be a pain to work thru.
But if the camera used dont have a overlap you just have to drop the files into your editor, do what ever post production you would like and then save that as 1 big video.

Software like the old registrator viewer let you automatic strip any overlap, and according to file time/date stamp it will arrange your drive sessions, so to save one of those sessions as 1 large file you just have to click the mouse a few times.
Only but being that registrator viewer are a old and unsupported program as its author died in a MC accident some years ago.

We have a user that do stunning drive videos, but he use a camcorder Sony HDR-PJ540

This is his youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/blessedhomosapiens

Here is a demo of what Registrator can do for you if your camera are supported.

The Garmin dashcams don't overlap video at all, it's seamless from one video to the next. You can combine them easily with no quality loss using AVIDEMUX or similar software

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ivantwilliams Dash Cam 55 5
J Dash Cam 55 9
Back