1) Run 2 sets same time? 2) button to save instantly?

4e382

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, doesnt anyone know if....

1) I can install two sets when I hard wire it to car? Hardwire only, dont want to see cords.
So I can have front and back and left and right? Is that overkill on battery, should I install two power banks, etc. Whays possible to allow me to have full parking protection and still start my car in morning? 2020 jeep rubicon

2) is there a button on the dashcam so that if I see something of interest I can press it and it saves the 30 sec before and 30 sec after into a folder ? My current dash does that and it's been the most important feature.

Thanks for any help!

If the one or two users won't show up, look through this forum. At least one user definitely has two sets installed in one car. ;)

There is a proximity sensor. When you bring something near the left side it can turn on/off mic or save event (5 seconds before and rest of the preset duration) Don't know how to handle the set which will be at the back of your car though.

If the one or two users won't show up, look through this forum. At least one user definitely has two sets installed in one car. ;)

There is a proximity sensor. When you bring something near the left side it can turn on/off mic or save event (5 seconds before and rest of the preset duration) Don't know how to handle the set which will be at the back of your car though.

Thank you!

The absence of that button just sent me back into a full what should I buy forum search. Haha

Thanks again for the reply

Technically it is a button, just not a physical button. :ROFLMAO: I would rather consider the 5 seconds buffer (it works really nice but imho it's, by far, not enough time).

An old trick to saving files is to give the cam a good tap with your finger(s), setting off the g-sensor which will then lock the current file ;) Or you can mentally note the time an event happened and find that later when you view the card. A 5 second pre-buffer is usually enough but you can use that to find an event and view/save the previous file until it's overwritten. A discrete "save" button is nice but not really necessary; lacking it just means a bit more work and a different approcah.

Phil

An old trick to saving files is to give the cam a good tap with your finger(s), ...
Good point. Especially in case of DR900S which has pretty overactive g-sensor :ROFLMAO:

.. A 5 second pre-buffer is usually enough but you can use that to find an event and view/save the previous file until it's overwritten. ...
Well that's the case. I hardly catched anything with it (or not the whole scene because imho 5 seconds is not enough time to avoid an accident and then think about pushing button...) so i had to think of removal card, even though i used 256GB which is enought for few days (in case of DR900S), and use the event as a flag to find the right file. Too much hassle :confused:

You will never find every function and feature you want in one single dashcam unless all you want is basic video and audio recording. You have to make compromises to get as much as you can of what is most important to you and choose your cam accordingly. If having a remote 'save' button is most important to you then there are few cams to choose from. If having more than 5 seconds pre-buffering is most important to you then there are few cams to choose from. If both of these are a must, then something else will be compromised to get it.

We can only buy whatever is being made and sold right now, hoping it will do until what we want exactly goes into production and that might never happen....

Phil

With a large enough memory card you dont really have to capture a event with the event button and that way make it safe for deletion as part of the cameras normal operating when the card are full.
In that case you can just use the event files ( time date name ) as a beacon to where the event are in among the regular files.
It differ some in how dashcams handle events ( from a sensor like G sensor or event button ) some just have a short buffer from before the trigger, other deal in whole videos segments, and time in a individual file you press the button / have a event.
My SG camera ( dual channel ) Would save 2 files ( 3 minutes long each ) from each camera so in total 12 minutes in every event, that way it would be very hard to not having the actual event locked down in the RO ( Read Only ) folder.
And this was no problem, the camera assign some memory space for event files, and when that is full it would also recycle the oldest event files.
But not to worry you could easy have 2-3 events daily for a few days and still have the first one in store.

In this day and age i would say at least 128 GB memory card size for each camera in a system, 64GB also work but taking memory card sizes and prices in consideration people should shoot for big ones.

In any camera automated event detection it is imperative that the triggers are tuned well, if too sensitive you get a lot of false events, and too insensitive too few.
This is why i dont use G sensor when driving, CUZ the camera record all the time, and any little things i can lock manual with the event button, and should it be bad and i get knocked out, i can sit trapped unconscious in my car for 8 hours before the camera would get around to deleting the actual event.
And that is not likely to happen in Denmark at least, maybe in the US if on a remote road you drive into a ravine or something.

For parking mode which i have just been given the opportunity to try, i use regular recording at a low bitrate, i dont feel comfortable with motion detect or G-sensor activation, and with always recording i miss nothing.

Last edited:
If the event and preceding data is so important important to you. Immediately after the event, remove the SD card and inset the spare that you carry in the car (you do. don't you?). That way you will have all the footage leading up to the event, not just your 'required' 30 seconds, AND there is no chance of it being overwritten.
That's my solution to the non-problem

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 21
Back