10-20 second gap in recordings

ENFORCER

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have just got the A119 V3 and using a Samsung Evo+ U3 64GB Card FW 1.03
Res = 2560x1600
Bitrate = High

Just checked the recordings from the past few days and noticed that there is a noticeable gap from the end of the recording to the start of the new one. Seems to be about 10-20 second gap.
I used the Camera to format the card. The other thing I noticed is the camera is set for 5min looped recording, but the footage is only 45 seconds long.
I would think the car is capable of supporting the bitrate and Res, so I am after some suggestions as to what the problem may be.
Thanks

Just an update, I dropped the Res down to 1440P and it seems to have rectified the recording to 5mins and recording gap.

The V3 is a 1440p camera, i dident even know it had a option to do a higher extrapolated resolution.

I would try to use the camera in its very basic mode, so no G sensor on or parking mode ASO, just plain record when driving.
The segment size you choose to use should have no say in if there is a gap in between segments, cuz that should not be there.

Mine is on permanent power, so I want the parking mode and G sensor.
I had just set everything to MAX, but it looks like the higher res is the problem. I ran it for 15mins on my desk and it looks like setting it to 1440 is the ideal, as there is no gap anymore and the recordings are 5mins.
Very happy with this unit, as it replaced my 8yo BlackVue DR500GW, which is rubbish in comparison. I can now see number plates.

Nice,,,, and you should use MAX image quality settings, i would not use anything else, actually i am the kind of guy that are surprised there are other lesser options to choose from.
Now get out there and capture some cool stuff to share with us.

Most dash cam users set their loop recording segments to 2 or 3minute clips as 5 minutes seems a bit long

Most dash cam users set their loop recording segments to 2 or 3minute clips as 5 minutes seems a bit long
Maybe that was the problem, 1600 resolution at maximum bitrate and maximum loop time might result in the files being over the size limit?

The V3 is a 1440p camera, i dident even know it had a option to do a higher extrapolated resolution.
The 1600 is not extrapolated, it is the native sensor resolution, but most people don't use it because 16:9 aspect ratio is plenty high enough unless you want to record the meteors in the sky, in which case the 4:3 aspect ratio might be desirable.

Yeah i am a 3 minute man myself. ( that's what she say too :ROFLMAO: )
Just go to prove how little i know about the viofo cameras, but i should have remembered it native RES are a bit over 1440p, but i was thinking of extrapolated 4K which i think it do too ?

but i was thinking of extrapolated 4K which i think it do too ?
Yes, I think that is an option, and is definitely extrapolated and of very little benefit at best. If you are looking in detail at plates then the native resolution is always best, or in the case of 1440 on the A119 V3, the cropped native resolution. As soon as it is scaled by a non-integer amount you are losing some fine detail.

3 minute looping works well. With only 1 minute, it doesn't save enough when you press the lock button, and with 10 minute looping it saves far too much and your card fills up, well the A119 isn't too bad on 10 minutes, but the 4K and 3 channel dashcams can easily fill up the card in less than a day if you lock a few events! The other problem with long files is access over wifi from your phone does not work so well, and if you want to download a few then your phone memory fills up rather fast.

That's probably a bit of over-generalization. Everyone I know in real life that has a dash cam uses 5 minute loops because 1, 2, or 3 minute clips seem a bit short ;) and there are too many to look through to find something that wasn't saved as a 'read only' clip. (It drives me crazy every time I have to go through the videos from the CF-100 in my wife's car because it only records in 1 minute segments.)

Bottom line is it's more of a personal preference than anything else - some like shorter files because they're a bit easier to handle (edit, email, etc.), and others prefer longer because there's less 'clutter' on the storage media. There are pros and cons and like most things in life just one more compromise to be made. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
I am so very glad i have learned to use the event button, for many many years i used mental notes,,,, and really my brain are not that good, so it gave me a lot of grief too.
With the RO folder i just go there once a month, and look at the time/date in my last updates on youtube to not feature the same thing 2 times, and then using the pictures to find the actual "thing" cuz of course 2-3 weeks down the road i have no clue why i pressed the event button back then,,,,,,, which is also why i now say out loud why i pressed the event button,,,,,, cuz even with the button and pic used i have had a little grief too.

And some times i am wrong too, last month i was sure looking in the mirror that the 2 girls in the car behind me was phone junkies, but the drivers phone are actually in a dock and not in use, so that i had to let slide.

Are you using parking mode? Some user have experienced the V3 getting stuck in parking mode on the latest V1.03 firmware. Auto Event Detection files are 45 seconds long.

Back