1080 30p is sharper than 1080 60p?

mealto

Reaction score
Country
Canada
What is this I heard about recording video in 1080 30p gives sharper videos than 1080 60p recordings?

Is it still true with the latest firmware?

1080 60fps its interpolate from 1536x1152 60 . 1080 30 its redused from 2304x1296 30 .

Well that is crappy. 60p is just so much better with sports. I will have to test this out soon.

I wonder why 60p could not also be reduced from 2304x1296?

because there is no 60p at that resolution.

ok, let me test 1080 30p soon. Hope it is indeed visibly better than 1080 60p. Now how do we get 120 fps with audio! :)

CPU/DSP not support ((
In fact, it's more limited by RAM than other else. According to SONY the sensor can do it
according to the A7LS briefSheet it can handle it(Raw up to 16MPixel at 30fps,it may do 8MPixel (4K) at 60fps) , DSP may too according to H264 4.2 support (up to 2048×1088 60 ) assuming it can do more to ensure this, however there is 4K videos in H264 4.2 so maybe it can do far more.
but sure there is not enough RAM to do more than the Yi actually capable of.
RAW capturing > video processing by DSP to produce H.264 > sound Processing quickly fill the 256MB of RAM

In fact,....
In fact
2304x1296 60fps sensor support , but 60fpps dsp not support.
2560 x 1440 30fps and 2304x 1296 30fps DSP support.
2560 x 1440 30fps sensor not support ))

Last edited:
ccording to the A7LS briefSheet it can handle it(Raw up to 16MPixel at 30fps,it may do 8MPixel (4K) at 60fps)
yes yes yes :D it сan, but does not want to :D( on xiaomi , on sj5000+ , on blackview hero ,etc... even gopro 3+ with some more power cpu/dsp and 512 ram)
but sure there is not enough RAM to do more than the Yi actually capable of.
Manufacturer so stupid that saved 1-2% of money by using 256 ram module ))) He can use for examle 512mb ram and add 2048×1088 60, and sell camera like 2k 60fps !!! But he so stupid ))))
DSP may too according to H264 4.2
OMG i have H264 L5.0 . Its not possible )

Last edited:
as many hardware stuff.
hardware specifications doesn't mean hardware real capacity.
oftenly it can do far more to ensure it can do less.
The Yi was not made for international market, so it may has to be as cheap as they can.
I don't think there is very much optimisation there almost the base Ambarella provided firm stuff.
the sony sensor can do more than recommended/default supported resolution. however you need engineer to create/implement such features and more engineer cost more money,that's It. Yi is not a luxury/nonProfit sports camera they have cost/marketing/time limitations.

the sony sensor can do more than recommended/default supported resolution
I dont see any proof for it in any known cameras. Sony sensor can use lower modes but not higher.
I don't think there is very much optimisation there almost the base Ambarella provided firm stuff.
Ok gopro 3+ has no "much optimization" too ? )) It has maximum optimizations in firmware i think , and have better dsp, and still dont have 2k 60 ))
It because DSP limitation, not sensor , or ram .

Last edited:
I dont see any proof for it in any known cameras. Sony sensor can use lower modes but not higher.
I didn't say it can do higher just said it can do different than standard ones .
it can do 2304 (H) × 1296 (V) at 60fps (according to sony ) so it can do anything under 2304 x 1296 at 60fps you read only the pixel you want.

Ok gopro 3+ has no "much optimization" too ? )) It has maximum optimizations in firmware i think , and have better dsp, and still dont have 2k 60 ))
It because DSP limitation, not sensor , or ram .
maybe , maybe not... the gopro3+ may had a A7 right ? (which is different than A7LS)
the hero3+ black was able to do 4k at 15fps and 2.7K is not 2K if it can't handle 2.7k 60 doesn't mean it can't 2K 60 or 2.3k 60 which are closer to 1920×1080 .So, the Yi can do 1080 60fps by upscalling (more effort than native 1080p 60fps) .
As the differences between capacity with PROTUNE and not PROTUNE videos on GOPro, there is post processing effort that use Ressources too, so maybe with less treatment, processing , enhancement the Yi will produce a 2K at 60p brute image not really usable without external post treatment.

from al7S briefSheet :
Image Sensor Interface
° 480 MPixels/s processing
> 16MP RAW at 30fps or 8MP (4k2K) at 60Fps but in RAW mode.
no post processing no treatment or else it's maximum brute capacity.

there is heat issues, memory issue, ressources issue etc...many limitations but RAM sound to me like the worst one.

As the differences between capacity with PROTUNE and not PROTUNE videos on GOPro,
Protune its just more bitrate + some hands settings
> 16MP RAW at 30fps or 8MP (4k2K) at 60Fps but in RAW mode.
So where is it used ??? )) No one camera on a7 have more than 4k 15 ))))

@Image Sensor Interface
° 480 MPixels/s processing@

I think its just interface characteristics and not more

Last edited:
Protune its just more bitrate + some hands settings
more bitrate less processing , flat colour.
it's reallocation of ressources.
less you process the data the more you can manage.
a not processed PROTUNE is an ugly not "usable" video.

more bitrate less processing , flat colour.
I dont think that flat color its less processing )) Its just different color settings (or like scene mode in xiaomi).
it's reallocation of ressources.
DSP is hardware processing , and not need much resources.
a not processed PROTUNE is an ugly not "usable" video.
not so ugly but i dont like gopro colors too )) ( i have gopro 4 black )

I dont think that flat color its less processing )) Its just different color settings (or like scene mode in xiaomi).

DSP is hardware processing , and not need much resources.

this "just thing" is processed somewhere. more you calculate adjustment in colour more you need analyzing.
but it's not the DSP that AIM to control everything...the CPU use bus to transfert data in memory, read them here transfer there here for treatment, there is sure some check made here and there but meanwhile the data are not stored in the bus, they are stored somewhere that why the memory is for.
DSP is more Faster than CPU in a specialized task but not adaptable. Memory is Memory it's not the same thing. You oftenly need to store data before and after treatment even for a very short moment, that why you use buffer.
not so ugly but i dont like gopro colors too )) ( i have gopro 4 black )

it's like RAW photograph if you know what you are doing you can have "better" result.
GoPro and XiaoMi is for common consummer few part of them use advanced video tunning.
but "better" for you is not "better" for an other. that's it.

but "better" for you is not "better" for an other. that's it.
I dont understand . You know what better for me ? )))
more you calculate adjustment in colour more you need analyzing.
In xiaomi i use script with random color settings and dont see any difference in performance .
Unstable i have with high bitrate ( 40+ mbit/s) , other settings not affect camera perfomance .
AIM to control everything
ARM ? DSP do all work with image processing . ARM control it , and all sistems.

Last edited:
I dont understand . You now what better for me ? )))
The opposite. for example, You can like warm color adjustment and I can prefer cold adjustment.

In xiaomi i use script with random color settings and dont see any difference in performance .
because you are processing color in all way, there is analysis in all the profiles. if you take this brute color as it come out from the sensor, it may can save some ressources (no more colors, highlights and shadows adjustment) . maybe not siginficant but sometime even few more ressources can make the difference.
for example, the DSP produce a HD and a SD preview. the hardware circuit is not 1 data circuit for 1080P 30, one for 1080 60 etc...it's more complex electronic architecture. it's adaptable in some limits.some part are shared. if by example you totally disable this SD preview and reallocate some ressource to an other purpose it may/can run a bit better or faster.
After there is also a driver limitation you need to know how this really work to change/adapt that working schematic.

Back