1080 v 1440

Kremmen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
2 x Viofo A119 V3
I've just been out testing. Mainly to confirm what I found when I switched cars.

I doubt the lighting difference will show that much here, but looking closely on a good 27" IPS monitor the difference is quite clear.

1080 does dull the image.

When I went out, and therefore moving, the reduction in brightness was more noticeable as the EV tried to keep up.

I'll post the images anyway but I'm expecting 'I can't see any difference'

o3vILrN.jpg

SaELOPS.jpg

I think I'll stick with 2560 x 1440

A very close race. On my 1080 monitor it's hard to choose, but looking at specific things close and far the bottom image wins for detail sharpness and more balanced exposure. The bottom edge of both are at the same level, but the top image 'sees' less sky; I wonder if that may have some effect on things? Either way the V3 is one heck of a cam for image quality, looking better than many 4K cams do.

Phil

Thanks Phil

I first noticed it with the change of car and my usual bright footage was dull and hazy. I suspected the lens angle but the ratchet steps were too much to get a straight ahead angle like before.

I opened up to 1440 and it just brightened up.

It seems to me that unless you can get the lens angle, just so, it struggles.

Letterbox is nice but in my case the trade off is too much.

I've just viewed them on my tablet and the difference looks miniscule.

Why not try increasing the exposure setting in the menu and see how things look in letterbox 1080 x 1440?

Thanks

I did try that a while ago but the colours looked washed out, even with just a 1/3 increase.

I've been looking back at my old 1080 footage from my Civic and it's all in the Summer with good daytime sun. It seems that my 1080 just doesn't like autumn overcast weather.

I've occasionally experienced a washed out looking palette on the V3. At first, I thought it had something to do with HDR being enabled. At this point, I believe it has more to do with being especially sensitive be the objects in the image and the lighting. I find this to be especially true for the rear facing camera in my truck where the black bed of the truck takes up a significant portion of the image and other objects, the sky and lighting are constantly changing. Of course, any dash cam has to contend with such things but the V3 is unique in the way it develops this washed out looking appearance to the image. I am not 100% certain but this does appear to be influenced by which firmware one is using in combination with this particular sensor.

I think I'll stick to 2560x1440. It seems to give the best results all year round.

I also viewed some older 1.03 against the VVS based on 2.05 firmware and VVS gives a far better colour rendition. Mainly greens and blues look deeper.

Personally, I prefer 2560x1440 and haven't even tried the 1080 option. If I were in an accident and someone hit my fender from an oblique angle I'd prefer to capture the point of impact as it happens. With the letter box option you end up cropping off a good deal of your coverage. Even coverage from above can be important such as certain traffic lights and highway signage, bridge and tunnel entrances, etc.

Is that your Mercedes in the photo?

The 1440 has a crisper appearance. Look at the bush in the background. On the 1080p the leaves are not nearly as distinguishable as in the 1440 image. But then again, you'd expect daytime video from 2k with proper lighting to be much better than 1080p!

Nah, the Merc and Prius are next door. That Merc hasn't moved in about 2 months. He just washes it and puts if back.

I'm glad it's not just me. The more I look at the detail, you're both right, 1440 definitely has the edge and when in motion, with constantly changing EV, the difference is more noticeable.

Nah, the Merc and Prius are next door. That Merc hasn't moved in about 2 months. He just washes it and puts if back.

Spending all that money on a car just to wash and wax. He must be rich.

I'm glad it's not just me. The more I look at the detail, you're both right, 1440 definitely has the edge and when in motion, with constantly changing EV, the difference is more noticeable.

Ya, the 1440 is definitely a winner. Try a night comparison between the two. Usually, 1080p is a stronger performer at night, since the pixels are larger. But it'll be interesting to see how noticeable a difference there is in the two images.

I think I'll just leave it at 1440 and be done. I've been running 1440 at night and the footage is fine. It's just the usual motion blur freeze frame that we've discussed recently.

As for next door. They've got 5 cars and a transit van. They only use 2 of the cars, the Prius, a VW Eos and the van. The other 2 cars are parked in the street round the corner.

I think I'll just leave it at 1440 and be done. I've been running 1440 at night and the footage is fine. It's just the usual motion blur freeze frame that we've discussed recently.

Agreed. 1440p is probably your best bet.

As for next door. They've got 5 cars and a transit van. They only use 2 of the cars, the Prius, a VW Eos and the van. The other 2 cars are parked in the street round the corner.

With the price of cars and fuel, your neighbor must be loaded!

I don't think so. There are 5 of them. 4 men one girl. They all work but 2 of them get a bus. I also don't understand why they have unused cars. The ones parked in the next street are both over 10 years old.

Their choice, they're quiet and pleasant enough.

I don't think so. There are 5 of them. 4 men one girl. They all work but 2 of them get a bus. I also don't understand why they have unused cars. The ones parked in the next street are both over 10 years old.

Their choice, they're quiet and pleasant enough.

It's always the quiet ones that you never suspect! Just Kidding. At least they are good neighbors. Definitely own a nice newer Mercedes! LOL bet it could use a good dash camera!

:)

When they moved in, about 6 months ago, they all got stuck into the overgrown garden and got it sorted in a few weeks. Hard workers.

When they moved in, about 6 months ago, they all got stuck into the overgrown garden and got it sorted in a few weeks. Hard workers.

Sprucing up the neighborhood is always good (not to mention for property values, too)! Since they've got a few extra cars, maybe they'll let you borrow the Merc for a bit of joy ride f you chummy up :LOL:

TBH my new e-hev e-cvt hybrid Jazz is a joy to drive. I was expecting to have some compromises going from a Civic to a Jazz but not so. It's actually quieter and smoother. Plus my average MPG has gone from ~45mpg to ~68mpg

TBH my new e-hev e-cvt hybrid Jazz is a joy to drive. I was expecting to have some compromises going from a Civic to a Jazz but not so. It's actually quieter and smoother. Plus my average MPG has gone from ~45mpg to ~68mpg

I drive a Volvo S60, but they're only recently transitioning to electric / hybrids. Expensive as hell to buy so I'm stuck pumping petrol and polluting. Getting that kind of fuel economy would be a dream!

Honda have done a brilliant job with this Jazz Mk4 hybrid.

It's mainly electric drive with the engine keeping the battery charged. Works well, I can't tell when the engine starts and stops when moving.

Back