128GB card for 45, 55 or 65W?

lacibaci

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone tried it? I know the largest officially supported is 64GB but I'd like to try 128GB.

I tried a 128gb card recently in my Garmin 45 and it works fine. I don't know why Garmin says 64GB max. It's a 128GB Samsung Evo Plus (or whatever Best Buy sells)

Also I am looking at the maximum card that can be used in the Garmin 55 camera so thanks for the question and answer. On larger cards does any function slow down? maybe playing back videos in the camera slower seeking? any painful constant warnings come up from this ? It does seem strange to just blindly say only 8-64G is usable. manufacturers treat customers as crap really.

The aussie original 8 gig card even at the lowest resolution doesnt record very much ( not enough for a long trip recently after getting the camera and we lost the one incident that i assumed would be saved. I pressed save down the road a bit but it was way too late. Seems it really does record 1 minute video as normal!
that shoould have been a lesson to stop and find the file to be saved however thats counterintuitive to safe driving practices.

Also I am looking at the maximum card that can be used in the Garmin 55 camera so thanks for the question and answer. On larger cards does any function slow down? maybe playing back videos in the camera slower seeking? any painful constant warnings come up from this ? It does seem strange to just blindly say only 8-64G is usable. manufacturers treat customers as crap really.

The aussie original 8 gig card even at the lowest resolution doesnt record very much ( not enough for a long trip recently after getting the camera and we lost the one incident that i assumed would be saved. I pressed save down the road a bit but it was way too late. Seems it really does record 1 minute video as normal!
that shoould have been a lesson to stop and find the file to be saved however thats counterintuitive to safe driving practices.

This is exactly why I keep saying retention time is important. Often you don't even think to press "save".

I have never once viewed a video on the camera so I can't help you with that. I highly doubt there would be any effect, the read time would be the same. Just get the 128GB card, make sure it's a good brand. I can vouch for Samsung Evo Plus

Can't answer the 128GB question but I can 2nd the Samsung Evo Plus card. I am using it in 64GB version and it works great in the 45...

Tried cheap but supposed rated sd card 128 gig and says not right size card for Garmin 55. Tried the cheap 64gig and it said not meeting minimum standard. Sandisk 64Gig from Officeworks works fine.
Just my experience to date. on FW 3.40.

Both 64 and 128 however work in Canon 600 slr camera nicely so all is good. Format and record quickly. Original largest card was 32gig I had used there.

Last edited:
I have to say your absolutely right! I bought a Samsung MB-ME128GA/EU 128 GB Evo Select Micro SD Card from Amazon and used the tool fat32format to format the card to FAT32 on my PC. I then simply plugged the card into my Garmin Dash Cam 55 and it works fine! I might one day try 256MB or 512MB, as FAT32 supports up to 4GB!

The free tool can be found here to format the card to FAT32, as Windows 10 only formats to exFAT:-

I used 2 Sandisk Ultra Class 10 128GB from Costco with no issues, however my 55 just stopped working once after swapping a card out so I could download my saved videos to my PC. I don't see how using the "unsupported" card could have caused the camera to quit working, but in any case will just be using 64GB cards from now on.

I always reformat the cards after removing them to view, save, delete videos.

samsung pro endurance 128gb works fine so far on the 66W

I use SanDisk High Endurance 256GB on both DC55 and DC56.

Back