128gb Samsung evo micro sd card

Tony lovelock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 422gw/Nextbase 212G & möbius C3 wide angle lens
Hi guys, I’ve purchased this new micro sd card hoping that it will perform ok in my mobius v1 C3 without any issues

Attachments

• C0B8C650-EB31-4538-BEB4-CEDF8F107F56.jpeg
    C0B8C650-EB31-4538-BEB4-CEDF8F107F56.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 17
EVO Plus seems to work excellently in almost every dashcam as long as it can deal with the capacity and it is formatted to whatever the cam requires. This is the same card as the EVO Select. IMHO as good as the Transcend 400X and cheaper too! Used a 64GB version for a couple months in my Mobius V1C3 with no problems.It is what I will be buying from here on in unless Transcend prices come down to meet it.

Phil

Speed is useless for dashcam. Flash chips with many overwrites are needed (MLC) and EVO doesn’t have them. Samsung has its Endurance Pro range with 25x the lifespan of EVO. Don’t base your purchase decisions on “it’s been working for a few months” since the write cycles might be almost depleted and suddenly when needed there’s no recording since the card couldn’t write anymore.

Don’t base your purchase decisions on “it’s been working for a few months” since the write cycles might be almost depleted and suddenly when needed there’s no recording since the card couldn’t write anymore.

This card and the Transcend 400X are close to equal in every way. My oldest Transcend card is about 4 years old and went into "write only" mode last week. It spent at least a year recording full-time at 1080P30 before going into other cameras seeing less usage. Do the math, and you're going to see a lot more than 400 cycles here. There is no magic in the numbers and a card will not stop recording at a numeric point. The fact is, it will keep going till sectors get corrupted and it goes into write-only mode, and that "400" is only what they are pretty certain the life-cycles will be. Unless you are running a really high bitrate, you do not need a MLC or TLC card. This has been proven by the tens of thousands of dashcams in use long before those card layer densities came along.

MLC and TLC certainly are better, but are absolutely unnecessary for the average dashcam today. And even they will wear out eventually too. What matters most is that you know and plan for the fact that the cards do wear out, which a lot of folks are not aware of. But for the average dashcam user, the cam will probably die before the EVO Plus/EVO Select card does,and to me at least, that's as long as you need.

Phil

365 days * 24 hrs * 60 minutes * 60 seconds * 10Mbps equals 315360000 Mbits written per year, 39420000 MBytes per year, rougly 38500 GBytes. Your 64GB card would be completely overwritten over 600 times during 1 year full-time recording. TLCs survive between 500-1000 overwrites in average so even this full year is just taking the card outside of the safe interval. I have a 2CH setup, 25Mbps front, 10Mbps back. Recording when parked too. I wouldn't even get a realiable 6 months full time recording from a TLC card. Samsung EVO 128GB microSD costs about $40, Samsung Endurance Pro 128GB costs $60. According to Samsung it has 25 times the lifetime at 50% more cost. Just for the reliability (recording suddenly stops during a long drive and noone notices until the recording is needed or even notices but won't have a replacement microsd card) I don't understand why to use the solution clearly not meant for dashcam use.

For average dashcam user the cam will probably die before a GOOD card does. If that happens you just take the card and insert it into a new dash cam.

Your oldest Transcend card is very likely MLC card since TLC hasn’t been around for that long yet.

Transcend 400x - the 400 stands for the speed, not overwrites just to be clear Wikipedia SD x speed

MLC and SLC (not used in microSD cards anymore) are good cause they survive many write cycles, TLC are cheap and only good for not so frequent overwriting.

Last edited:
365 days * 24 hrs * 60 minutes * 60 seconds * 10Mbps equals 315360000 Mbits written per year, 39420000 MBytes per year, rougly 38500 GBytes. Your 64GB card would be completely overwritten over 600 times.

Good job! And remember, that card saw normal use thereafter for 3 more years too. So as I said, you probably don't need a 'high endurance' card even if they are better. There are a lot of people out there who have very limited budgets, so it is very important to not lead them to believe that they must use something which costs more if the cheaper option will work well and get them protected sooner, or even at all. Someone who has just $75 to spend can get a good reliable cam and a good reliable card for it. It is enough if that is all you can afford. You can spend a lot more if you want to, and if you hang around this forum awhile you probably will :ROFLMAO: I came here wanting one cheap but decent cam, got a G1W/C and a Samsung EVO 32 GB card, and now I have 8 cams and find I want more :eek: This can get to be addicting, but it's good clean fun and useful too ;)

Phil

Your old card is likely NOT a TLC card, TLC hasn’t been around for that long. Tripple Level Cell can store more information (3bit in a cell), Multi Level Cell can store 2bit and Single Level Cell only 1bit. Information density per cell is best with TLC BUT they sacrifice write cycles. I’d rather buy 1 MLC card at 50% higher cost compared to 1 TLC card, install it and forget about it for years to come, then buy at least 5 TLC cards I’d need to replace it.

Last edited:
None of my cards are anything special- just high quality cards which were not really designed for the high-write-cycle use a dashcam gives them, but that doesn't stop them from working well anyway. Which is my entire point here; it is the real-world results that count, not the theories which say it cannot work.. By call means get a better card if you can, and a better cam too, but neither is absolutely necessary.

Phil

I never said it would not work with virtually any fast enough card. All I said is that MLC lasts 10-25 times longer for 1.5x the price. For me the importance of not having to check each week whether recording still works is worth the whopping $20 more for the IMHO best suited 128GB card for dash cam use I intend to use for at least five years. For five years Samsung warranty covers all problems even in dashcam use. There are very few other cards with this kind of warranty, most void the warranty if used in dashcam.

I prefer reliability, less hassle and also long term saving. If I had to choose between 64GB MLC and 128GB TLC I'd take the smaller MLC for dashcam use.
You prefer to save a few dollars today and are optimistic that it'll hold for years to come. That's ok too and I wish you good luck with that and even better so that you won't need the recording as a proof.

Flash chips with many overwrites are needed (MLC) and EVO doesn’t have them.

You did say "need", and that is the only point where we aren't on the same page. I'd love having the bigger and better cards too, but they are beyond my budget right now. And with as many cams as I have going, it's a different game than the average person who will need only one or two cards. Needing and wanting are different, and as long as everyone understands that we're all good here :)

Phil

You are right. I meant for long term reliability. Even cards with 5 overwrites will work for a week as long as they are fast enough. And basically anything sold now is fast enough.

I've been using Samsung cards for almost a year in Mobius cameras and they're fine

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Mobius 4
I Mobius 0
D Mobius 1
Osmosis Mobius 18
Usually Unfocused Mobius 3
Back