128GB SD Card issues

could be a brand/model it just doesn't like
Which is weird. I bought the model that everyone else mentioned to be working well for them.

Which is weird. I bought the model that everyone else mentioned to be working well for them.

memory cards can look identical and still be different, controller chipset, firmware etc can change between productions, confusing for the end user when dealing with a camera that's fussy about what it works with but really this is a Thinkware issue not a Samsung issue

Which is a stupid move by Thinkware, if it's intentional.
To think that such a costly dashcam will not accept popular range of memory cards.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Which is a stupid move by Thinkware, if it's intentional.
To think that such a costly dashcam will not accept popular range of memory cards.

not sure, perhaps it's an attempt to lock you into using their branded cards, not a great decision (in my opinion) if that is the case, the hardware they use is used in other cameras in the market without issue with a wide variety of memory cards so taking that into consideration I guess it would lean toward it being intentional

I'm pretty sure it's an attempt to lock users to use their cards.
Since using the Samsung EVO 64GB, I get random reboots.

So something is iffy with this model of dashcam.

Just some thoughts if you haven't tried yet:
1. Firmware on the camera updated to the latest version?
2. Original Thinkware SD card working OK? (did you get a 32GB Thinkware branded SD card when you purchased the cameras, like I did?)
3. Did you purchase the Samsung Evo+ memory card from a reputable dealer (I know we have some dodgy ones in the UK / Ebay).
4. Try a hard reset on the camera (safety pin or similar required).

Last edited:
Just some thoughts if you haven't tried yet:
1. Firmware on the camera updated to the latest version?
2. Original Thinkware SD card working OK? (did you get a 32GB Thinkware branded SD card when you purchased the cameras, like I did?)
3. Did you purchase the Samsung Evo+ memory card from a reputable dealer (I know we have some dodgy ones in the UK / Ebay).
4. Try a hard reset on the camera (safety pin or similar required).

Thanks for chipping in and helping out.

1. Latest firmware as of 3 weeks ago.
2. Original SD card is 16GB and is working fine, though I haven't used it longer than 2 weeks.
3. The 64GB Samsung EVO and 128GB Samsung EVO+ were purchased form eBay from different sellers. Both came with original packaging. I tested both with H2testw.exe and as posted before, they both passed the test.
4. I thought about that, but not sure how could it remedy the issue. I'll try that and report back.

Additional info:
* The 128GB worked on the 1st day of use, right out of the box. 2nd day, I got "Memory card error, system restarting". This happens in loop.
* If I pop in the 64GB, I get "Memory card error, system restarting" as well, but after system restart the card is accepted and resumes normal operation.
* I'm able to reproduce this issue with the 64GB card when I manually shut down the camera and start the car. As if waking up the camera by cold boot, has issues accepting the 64GB card. Switching off and on again will usually resolve this.
* With the use of the 64GB card, I get random reboots while driving. I can hear the camera chime during driving. I have no idea if it's because of the card or faulty hardware.

General notes and feelings:
1. This camera seems to be locked / programmed to use only Thinkware branded SD cards. If this is the case, I'd suggest avoiding Thinkware F770 and stick to BlackVue for now.
2. The camera has so much potential, but implementation is limited and the mobile app is too crippled, not getting enough bang for the buck from this camera. It could be Thinkware's balancing act from simplicity by reducing amount of options, to complexity by introducing more options which I believe can be supported as they are baked in the hardware/chipset.

I would not recommend this camera to anyone who's interested in dashcams, though there are happy customers, I think that for the app limitations (software, not hardware) and implementation, this camera is not doing a good job for this price range.

Try reflashing the firmware.

I've got the 128GB EVO+ and have no issues with it.

It may be worth contacting Thinkware and swapping the unit(s) whilst still under warranty. I have done so myself for some minor teething problems I was getting with their earlier units. No problems with swapping them out. I think a lot of members are using 128 GB memory cards (especially the Evo+) without any issues, so I think you may have a faulty unit.

It may be worth contacting Thinkware and swapping the unit(s) whilst still under warranty. I have done so myself for some minor teething problems I was getting with their earlier units. No problems with swapping them out. I think a lot of members are using 128 GB memory cards (especially the Evo+) without any issues, so I think you may have a faulty unit.
On what grounds will I ask replacing? Using a non officially supported SD card?

So I was able to make minor progress.

I've noticed that my 64GB is formatted to exFAT and that the primary partition is set to active.
This is the card I use everyday in the dashcam. How come it's exFAT?

So I checked the 128GB and it didn't have its primary partition set to active. It is also set to exFAT. So I set the primary partition to active myself and pop it in the dashcam and it works.

However, if I manually shut down the camera and restart it, it will say Insert a memory card, in loop.

And it won't work ever again.

It's similar issue with the 64GB, however after couple of system restarts, it will accept the 64GB.

f7c2db4baf8fddf5916e8afdbda38964.jpg

On what grounds will I ask replacing? Using a non officially supported SD card?

Could say that you're facing these problems with the original SD card? (Worth a try?). Or, if you have any other minor issues (like I did) regarding startup chime / sound, etc.

I do find it bizarre how they could lock down some units to only use Thinkware branded SD cards and not others. I have the same firmware update on my F770 unit as yours, and my Evo+ 128 GB card works fine.

On comparing my memory card settings against yours, my Evo+ is also formatted to 'exFat' too, with 'allocation unit size' set to 128 kb when reading back on my computer (Win 10). I don't know what you mean by 'Active / Non-active' partitions, and I don't know where to find that setting. I have realised though, that my 'memory card capacity' (through smart phone app) is at a total of 119.7 GB (yours is at 119.3 GB); I don't know what difference that makes (if any).

I hope it helps.

Could say that you're facing these problems with the original SD card? (Worth a try?). Or, if you have any other minor issues (like I did) regarding startup chime / sound, etc.

I do find it bizarre how they could lock down some units to only use Thinkware branded SD cards and not others. I have the same firmware update on my F770 unit as yours, and my Evo+ 128 GB card works fine.

On comparing my memory card settings against yours, my Evo+ is also formatted to 'exFat' too, with 'allocation unit size' set to 128 kb when reading back on my computer (Win 10). I don't know what you mean by 'Active / Non-active' partitions, and I don't know where to find that setting. I have realised though, that my 'memory card capacity' (through smart phone app) is at a total of 119.7 GB (yours is at 119.3 GB); I don't know what difference that makes (if any).

I hope it helps.

This is where you can set the partition to active:

Capture.PNG

I'm using the MiniAide FAT32 formatter to set the primary partition to active.
However, I use SD Card Formatter.exe to format the card to exFAT.

Unfortunately, I don't use (and have never used) those applications.

Just another thought, you say that you can get the memory cards to work once you restart the camera units. Could you try formatting them through your cameras one they are working? - See if they work from then on?

It took me forever to make the dashcam accept the card again. This time I did internal format and shut down the camera. After a restart, it accepted it. I did another shut down... let's wait for tomorrow morning. I don't use parking mode in my home.

Here's an idea for a feature request:
Dashcams that have GPS, have an option to enable or disable parking mode in a given location. Much like Google Keep location based reminder. This way, if a user doesn't want to drain the car battery when they park in home. This saves the manual process of shutting down the camera.

Sounds promising, lets hope it works. Goodnight.

Reactions: Gil
Sounds promising, lets hope it works. Goodnight.
Sad story... it doesn't work anymore...
I get issues with the Thinkware 16GB card as well.

stupid dashcam

Last edited:
That's a shame. It does sound like a faulty unit.

At least it now gives you a valid reason for swapping under warranty (original card not working too).

Back