12V adapter not working

john tb

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hi, i'm new to this forum.
I have bought a Nextbase 322, and charged it for 2h as instructed. But it wouldn't power on using the 12V adapter.
I then returned it and bought another one from another store, but I have extactly the same problem with that one.

I'm sure the issue is not with the car, because I tested other 12V devices, and they power on instantly after turning on the ignition, and the dasham itself does power on using the cars USB port.
Any suggestions what I could be doing wrong, or is it just bad luck?

Edit:
I tried it in a friends car and there it does work.
But in my car it doesnt work, but other devices like a coolbox do work.

Last edited:
Hi, i'm new to this forum.
I have bought a Nextbase 322, and charged it for 2h as instructed. But it wouldn't power on using the 12V adapter.
I then returned it and bought another one from another store, but I have extactly the same problem with that one.

I'm sure the issue is not with the car, because I tested other 12V devices, and they power on instantly after turning on the ignition, and the dasham itself does power on using the cars USB port.
Any suggestions what I could be doing wrong, or is it just bad luck?

Welcome john tb to the forum.
Just for clarity did you purchase a different brand?
Also what is the specifications of the USB adapter?
And one last question the brand model and year of your car so we can check the output of the USB port.

Hi,
I replaced it with exactly the same brand and model.
I have a 1 year old BMW 1 series.

To be clear, the problem is with the 12V adapter, not the USB port.
The dashcam does work using the separate USB port the car has (located next to the 12V socket), or at home using a phone charger.

But since it does work in another car using the 12V socket, maybe it has something to do with the 12V socket of my car.
Strangely enough other devices like a coolbox do work using my car's 12V socket.

Some cars power sockets are extremely deep. I have a box with half a dozen power socket USB adapters and half of them don't work because they don't reach the bottom.

Hi,
I replaced it with exactly the same brand and model.
I have a 1 year old BMW 1 series.

To be clear, the problem is with the 12V adapter, not the USB port.
The dashcam does work using the separate USB port the car has (located next to the 12V socket), or at home using a phone charger.

But since it does work in another car using the 12V socket, maybe it has something to do with the 12V socket of my car.
Strangely enough other devices like a coolbox do work using my car's 12V socket.

Ok. I've misunderstood.
Is it this one?
1652844795038.png
Check the length of the adapter. Make sure it is seated all the way into the socket.
Notice where the thumb grip is raised, check it is not touching the cigarette socket as this will prevent the centre pin on the adaptor from making contact.

I agree with @Kremmen. I had to switch from phone to computer and got sidetracked:confused:

^^
Yes thats the one.

I inserted it as far as it goes, slightly forcing it in, but i'm not willing to risk damaging the socket by forcing it too much.
I had another 12V adapter laying around from an old cheap dashcam, I tried that adapter with the Nextbase and it works first time.
I decided to return it and just buy another brand.

Back