12V to multi-USB?

Shep

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
LG: Street Guardian; SM: Mobius
I'm trying to find something reputable and high quality that connects as either a hard wire (preferable) or a cigarette lighter adapter and has multiple USB outs, with a super-long cable. Would like 2-4 ports to work with.

I'm running a GitUp Git1 front and rear, in addition to a Street Guardian SG9665GC front and rear, but would instead like to simply have a nearby USB power source and run short USB cables to the cameras.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Anker makes good PS's in various configurations. Feed it with a cig lighter extender cable.

Phil

I put an older version of this Orico 12v USB charger:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201168991970in my car, mainly so that I can charge the phone while it is working as a satnav, but it also powers all the dashcams and it improved radio reception significantly compared to using a standard cheap hardwire kit.

The power cord is 12v so you can chop the lighter plug off and hardwire it. The other end is a standard 12v power jack so easy to buy longer cables. I installed it in the roof next to the interior light so the camera cables are short.

I also have a couple of Orico USB hubs, they all seem good quality.

Last edited:
I've been using one of these for a few months in my truck.

s-l225.jpg

$10 to $15, sold at various places online, and some of the chain truck stops sell them.

I run multiple cams - sometimes several if I'm experimenting - so I have various power supply options. Here's a hastily-taken picture showing some of the items in my bits box.

In theory, subject to the maximum current draw, I can run 8x USB cables from one quadruple 12v multi-socket with each socket containing a twin 12v-to-USB plug.

My 12v multi sockets vary from 3A to 10A capacity depending on size and quality. Each dashcam ought to be allowed a minimum of 0.75A and preferably 1A, while a few cams might prefer 1.5A.

Some consumer electronics can require vastly more and that's why some reviews state that a 12v socket melted or burned when used.

I have the 5 port Orico Nigel link to, and another one with four 2.4 A sockets ( both in my glove box )
And then to test PSUs i have a triple 12 V socket in the glove box and a similar one in the boot of my car.

Looked at Anker, they had one that had a 3-foot cable, everything else went straight from a cigarette lighter to USB, which is bulky for my setup.

Aukey didn't have any at all with a cable

The Orico one in the eBay listing seemed excessive, but going to their site, I found a newer, 4-port version:

http://www.orico.cc/goods.php?id=5904

Newegg had it on sale for $7.99 free shipping, so I picked a few up for both cars. Will be mounting it to the ceiling, directly inward of the dash cams (front might be hidden, not sure if I can pull that off yet).

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'll have to fashion my own plug for it, but that's a cakewalk now. :)

I eyed that 4 port 2.1 A one too, but i found another one on the local market and its also a bit smaller, not that it matter much as my glove box is totally dedicated to provide power for things and nothing else.

My 4 x 2.4 A one.
I have removed the silly ciggy plug and hardwired the sucker.
40588_0_m_800_1200.jpg

So far i have just tested it powering my 7" tablet, and that it do just good as one of the high power ports on the Orico.
But it cost me 20 bucks.

O i forgot to mention the 5 port Orico one have a power button you have to press for the ports to become live, i just made sure it was allways pressed by gluing a pice of plastic over the button so its always depressed.

Last edited:
...I found a newer, 4-port version:

http://www.orico.cc/goods.php?id=5904
That is a nice one, but I think there is a small problem with it...

It has an on/off button at the back which does not have physical locking, you have to press it after it receives power to turn it on. However if you somehow permanently press the button, or solder its pins together, then it works fine - turns on and off with the ignition.

Yeah thats what i did with the 5 port one.

Not a big problem.

This summer i did modify mine, instead of the plastic glued to the the outside of the case constantly pressing the power button, i took it apart and put a little heat shrink tube on the on/off switch itself so in that way keeping the button pressed down all the time.
This latter mod i feel do a better job than the quick fix i made when i got the 5 port one and found out it had such a button.

@Shep can proceed with his project with no worries.

I had virtually the same charger as the 4 port Orico. They're sold under a handful of names. Didn't last long in the big truck, maybe 4 months.
(I do tend to use them 24/7 for 21-25 days out of the month)

I had virtually the same charger as the 4 port Orico. They're sold under a handful of names. Didn't last long in the big truck, maybe 4 months.
(I do tend to use them 24/7 for 21-25 days out of the month)
I thought the Orico ones are the originals and well made, others may be cheap copies?

Also, the instructions do say not to power them from 24v, maybe your big truck is 24v?

@kamkar1 Do you have a link to the one you posted a picture of? I do like it's slim size. That's actually exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, assuming it can handle two dash cams without going bad.

Still haven't gotten the Orico ones in yet, not sure what kind of modding I'll have to do yet (although I'm handy with a soldering iron if I need to use it).

I can find it but i got it locally in a store here, and i dont think those guys ship abroad.

But let me see if i can find it for you some more international place.

It should be able to handle 2 cameras cuz my tablet suck a lot of power when its plugged in and with full screen brightness and NAV going.
If i plug the tablet into a 1 A socket and use it the same way then it will slowly discharge the battery though it is on a 1 A charge.
With 2.1 A it even have a surplus to top up the battery slowly while under the same load ( 2.1 A socket on the Orico charger of mine )

I can try and plug all i have into the 4 port charger for my next drive, and see how that pan out.

Here is a google translated link to the store ( T- Hansen here )
https://translate.google.dk/transla...5v-9-6a-/n1199147588/pn-245829909/&edit-text=

If need be i can buy you one and ship it over, no problemo :) ( there should be a 2 year warranty on it here as with all electronics )

Still haven't gotten the Orico ones in yet, not sure what kind of modding I'll have to do yet (although I'm handy with a soldering iron if I need to use it).
The bottom is just a push fit, no screws, but the pillars in the corners hold it on rather well, you can prise each corner off with a couple of flat screwdrivers. Then the circuit board lifts out and you can solder a short piece of wire across the two pins of the push button. That solution is never going to fail, better than trying to keep the button physically pressed.

Yeah it is no problem doing a workaround on that button, only thing i would say is my 5 port version is put together pretty well, but it is possible to take apart too, just dont fall apart when you blow at it like some Chinese products.

So far i am having no luck finding the other 4 port one i have on any of the international sites, i would assume a place like alibaba had it at least.
Must be a place like that where T Hansen got it.

Last edited:
Back