12v wall plug adapter problems

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, sometimes I like to use a 12v wall adapter to charge up my dashcam batteries. Years ago I had one literally melt after charging for some time in my home, but I think i accidently had it set to the 7 amp hardwire mode (there is a switch for 5 amps if you are using the 12v socket). It seems like an incredible fire hazard. Anyways, I have a new one that I am using to charge a cellink battery b that has a 3 wire setup from blackboxmycar that I got years ago. This allows me to use 3 wire hardwire kits connected to a cellink battery instead of having to wire them to my fuse box while testing. When my vehicle shuts off, it switches the camera to the cellink battery and cams such as thinkware and viofo switch to parking mode.

I was using a newer 12v wall plug adapter and was charging it up. It got incredibly hot. I made sure the cellink was set to 5 amps not 7 amps and the 12v adapter is rated for 5 amps. But its getting so hot I worry its a fire hazard still. Anyone have any suggestions on how to charge these batteries at home without worrying about my 12v adapter being a danger?

The cheap answer is to repurpose an old tower PC ATX power supply. Lots of juice with most of them at 5VDC and 12VDC too. Specs vary but are easy to find.

Your wall charger shouldn't be getting hot- maybe quite warm but not hot. So either it's defective or more likely is that it's unregulated for maximum current, and the load on it exceeds it's abilities.

Phil

Back