135 degree lens replacement option for A119

SergeiF

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I have been pondering for a while and came to conclusion that A119 is perfect except the 170 degree lens is too wide.

I wander if there is an off the shelf lens replacement for A119, with approximately 135 degrees FOV?
Anyone can point me in right direction? Or even cheap $50 camera I can cannibalize?

The extra FOV that 170 degree lens provides only results in vignetting, fish eye effect and useless inclusion of pillars and dashboard (and large chunk of sky).

The lens is not that wide, if looking at a replacement you'd be looking for something much less than 135
Ok, it looks like I have been caught on marketing.. So around 100-120 degrees?
Do you know what form factor is the lens (M12x1 thread etc)?

Id have to have a closer look to see the viewing angle, it's not a lot different to the viewing angle of our GC lens which is 135 diagonal, 112 horizontal, our lens is called a 165 degree lens by the supplier

I'm out at a trade show for the next few days though and can't look it up for you, the 90 degree lens offered as an option with the GitUp might be worth looking into, thread size will be correct, length and diameter though I'm not sure off the top of my head

I have been pondering for a while and came to conclusion that A119 is perfect except the 170 degree lens is too wide.

I wander if there is an off the shelf lens replacement for A119, with approximately 135 degrees FOV?
Anyone can point me in right direction? Or even cheap $50 camera I can cannibalize?

The extra FOV that 170 degree lens provides only results in vignetting, fish eye effect and useless inclusion of pillars and dashboard (and large chunk of sky).
I would be interested as well.

The lens part for A119S is not same, so we can use different smaller FOV lens for that.
For A119, is not easy to find good lens small FOV lens. If there is one, it is maybe a little higher than the current lens.

I wanted to lens exchange but I give up1.jpg 2.jpg . They put a bottle of glue to secure the entire string lens

Mine looked like that also. I was able to free the lens and refocus it. I also removed the lens holder and reseated it.
The thing is that they don't really need to use that much glue since there is a locking ring.

How you got rid of glue ?
You use a solvent ?

No solvent. I used x-acto knife and carefully peeled it off. In my case it was not hard (felt like silicone based) and even though there was a lot of it I got it off in about ten minutes.

Last edited:
Ok

I took your advice and I made it but when I focus my spare lens , the lens goes out of the main body about 1cm.
Going back to the original lens for now , searching for another spare one.

Ok

I took your advice and I made it but when I focus my spare lens , the lens goes out of the main body about 1cm.
Going back to the original lens for now , searching for another spare one.
How was the image quality?

FOV of A119 is the worst part of that. Also interested in lens replacement.

With the release of A119S and it's 135 degree lens I've been debating buying that just to reduce the 160 degree lens on the A119. I've had everything from 90 to 155 degrees on different cams, seems the sweet spot is 140 which also reduces dash reflections on smaller cars at the sides. It's too bad there isn't a way to order the A119S lens for the A119. Until the A119S firmware and reported focusing issues are resolved i'll wait another year and order the A119 gen2 - best dashcam for the money.

Back