1440p File size

scobecu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am looking for advice on the file size when recording in 1440p. The 3 minute clips that are being recorded are over 700MB in size. This is not allowing me to record anywhere near the 4 hours of footage as advertised, on my 32Gb Transcend high endurance memory card. I have dropped the recording quality to 1080p 60fps. The file sizes are still around 480MB per 3 minute clip, which still does not give 4 hours of recording. The noticable drop in quality is also dissappointing so I would rather record in 1440p if possible.
Matters are not helped by the fact that with g sensor enabled on low setting and parking mode enabled, the camera is locking out a ridiculously high number of clips. It locks out a clip everytime I get into the car, even if I try to shut the door very gently.
Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm if this file size is normal or not?

700MB/3mins for 1440p seems a little high but not outrageous. It all depends on the bitrate.
My Garmin 55 eats about 150MB/min at 1440p which makes it 450MB/3mins. The bitrate is about 20Mbps so if your camera records at higher bitrate, 233MB/min is expected.

Yes your findings are about right. Most manufacturers quote figures that are with the optimum possible settings. If they are quoting recording time this will normally be at the lowest resolution. If they quote the high quality, this will be at a reduced recording time. My car manufacturer quotes the MPG at a steady 55mph is over 70 mpg. I have never got near this figure. If, like me, you prefer quality over quantity then buy a bigger memory card.

1529129280001.png

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for your replies. I just wanted to confirm that this was normal and there wasn't something wrong with my device or there was a setting I could change to get a smaller file size at 1440p.
What threw me was two things.
First was a youtube video review where the guys file size was 450mb at what appeared to be 1440p settings.
Secondly, I did alot of reading around the internet and "Tiffany" seems to pop up quite alot quoting the 4hrs on 32MB. Not once did I pick up on any indication that this would be at a lower resolution.
If I had known before buying the card I would have bought a bigger one. Ah well, live and learn I suppose.

You can lose the low resolution files on the 21.6 firmware, I recommend updating.

4 hours for 32Gb is for 1080p generally.

I have seen many posts about the lo and hi files. I only see one file for each 3 min clip when I connect my phone. I'll double check this later.
1080p is roughly 3.5 hours for me, once you take into account that the available storage on a 32GB card is actually about 29-30GB.
Thanks again, my main aim was to confirm that the file size of 740mb at 1440p is normal. I have done that. :)

Back