1A Fuse Quality?

LMJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo (not installed yet)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B071K9WVJR
Anyone use this brand, if there is a brand? Right now I am planning on using branded 2A fuses and I am confident of the brand. But this seems to be the only 1A availaible that I could find. Smaller is better IMO.

Have you checked your fuse box for spare/unused fuses? A spare 5A fuse will work fine. Also, fuse taps usually come with fuses.

I did not see any spares.

The purpose of the fuse is to protect the wiring from overload. The wiring of the hardwire kit will be quite capable of handling 2 amps so it is perfectly safe to use a 2 amp fuse. If you are worried about the wiring supplying the fusebox then just make sure that you fit the fuse tap the correct way around so that all the power comes through the original fuse, thus not changing the maximum load that can be drawn.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B071K9WVJR
Anyone use this brand, if there is a brand? Right now I am planning on using branded 2A fuses and I am confident of the brand. But this seems to be the only 1A availaible that I could find. Smaller is better IMO.

1A fuse is too small, the A129 comes with a 3.1A power supply, 5A is the correct size fuse to use

1A fuse is too small, the A129 comes with a 3.1A power supply, 5A is the correct size fuse to use
I think the 3.1A is so that you can also charge your phone/tablet from the power adaptor at the same time as running the camera, and is 3.1A at 5V.
The HK3 hardwire kit is rated at 5V2A, which would equal 0.84A at 12 volt + a bit for inefficiency. So a 1A fuse would be at it's limit, a 2A fuse would be fine.

Wonder what rating of fuse is supplied with the Viofo fuse tap kit?

The OP is smart to question the brand of fuse, as there are some on the market which are not safe. A friend tested a fuse assortment from Harbor Frieght some years ago and discovered that no matter the indicated rating, they all went to 20A plus before blowing :eek: I prefer using a known name brand-"Littlefuse" is common in the US and has been in the game for a long time. Another good alternative is to source the fuse from your car dealer. As long as you don't exceed 5A the PS wiring should be safe.

Phil

Yup, I don't see any upside in saving a buck or two on a fuse of unknown orgin and manufacuring QC when the tail risk is you fry the wires in your car.

I had the same worry about the many brands/sellers on amazon. I ended up buying some Bussmann fuses since I see my local auto stores carry them.

Back