2+Cameras and OBD overlay, which camera is best?

zombiephysicst

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can anyone help me identify a dash cam that has the following 3 features?

1) at least a front and rear view camera,
2) overlays OBD data,
3) where the front camera is small enough to hide behind the rearview mirror and is generally out of sight.

The above 3 are necessary. However it would also be great if the dash cam has any of these optional features:

4) GPS (which can be turned on or off),
5) Track/road overlay integration,
6) Macintosh support,
7) WiFi,
8) iPhone support allowing for video review and camera option control via iPhone.

The problem is there seems to be no single dash camera product that does all of features 1-3. The current product offerings seem to give you any 2 out of 3, but not all 3 features. For example:

The LK-9700 has 2 cameras, OBD integration, but the front camera has a gigantic 4" screen and would be highly visible despite being placed behind the rearview mirror:
http://lukashd.com/eng/product_info/blackbox_9700duo.html

The LK-7900 is small enough to hide behind the rearview mirror, supports OBD, but, only one camera is supported:
http://lukashd.com/eng/product_info/blackbox_7900ara.html

The Blackvue 550 and the LK-5900 DUO is small enough to hide behind the rearview mirror, has 2 cameras, but do not support OBD:
http://lukashd.com/eng/product_info/blackbox_13_1.html
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00FK7QFM0
Does anyone know of a product that has features 1-3 above? Thanks so much for any help or pointers!

Would be better, you can make your wishlist from top to last base on your priority, that would make sense for your best selection.

Something I thought of the other day, I could get a program like Torque Pro and run it on a cellphone/tablet and lay it on the dash where the camera would record what was showing on its screen. Sort of a poor mans OBD/GPS data input.

To my knowlege its only Lukas who do in OBD connection, but i hope others will do that in the future as i personal find it pretty cool.

My pretty ideal placed lukas 7500 capture a lot of my dashbord in full view, and pretty much all of it if reflections are factored in.
I have been thinking the same as roadbug to get OBD info in footage, problem is the OBD displays i have seen only display Things from OBD i dont really need like speed - rpm and so on.

Why not just get 2 Lukas cams? Much better than a dual-view dashcam.

maybe I'm wrong, but they will not produce synched video. So you can do picture in picture production with the OBD overlay.

To my knowlege its only Lukas who do in OBD connection, but i hope others will do that in the future as i personal find it pretty cool.

My pretty ideal placed lukas 7500 capture a lot of my dashbord in full view, and pretty much all of it if reflections are factored in.
I have been thinking the same as roadbug to get OBD info in footage, problem is the OBD displays i have seen only display Things from OBD i dont really need like speed - rpm and so on.

When I first saw the Lucas OBD adaptor I really liked the idea; it showed data that was relevant to a "black box" type of setup. The Torque Pro idea might be able to do some of the same things, or not, but I may give it a try when I get my OBD adaptor. I know that you can create custom dashboards with Torque Pro so maybe could do something like Lukas.

pardon my ignorance, BUT why would you want to overlay the OBD data in your video? Surely there is way to much info for that to be useful. Wouldn't it be better to have the data kept separate to the video? As I recall my 2008 Toyota manual zillions of different items are recorded.

Not all the info from the OBD connection, i think most of us are after what lukas have.
trottle position
rpm
brake position
gear indicator
indicators in use
steeringwheel angle

The biggest problem is only the OBD plug is standart, the signals in them are not the same from car brand to brand, and maybe even model to model.
Looking at lukas OBD videos on youtube many of them dont have the indicators arrows working, meaning the lukas Dashcam cant fully read the info on that car / model.

Here is a short video from a OBD connected lukas dashcam.

I just don't get why Lukas doesn't make a version of this without the screen. Why would you ever need such a HUGE screen for a dash cam. I get it makes setting some options and verifying settings easier, but goodness knows you don't need the screen to be that big. You could have put in a 2" screen and kept the thing small, or preferably offered a model with no screen at all.

Lukas are mainly catering to the home marked, and Korean ppl like big screens and bling bling crome and colors and lights.
Us western ppl who like small and discreete cameras do all we can to make sure they know what we like, and that we are huge future markeds for them.
The Lk7500 and 7900 are all without a screen and have OBD in the full package, its not possibel to upgrade say a 7500 B type like mine with the other GPS antenna and the OBD plug, the full OBD +gps version Work in another way and connect in another way.

The mentioned models do have a Little info display in the back, not a screen but just 1 line that give a Little info on boot and display speed when driving, and date / time when not moving.

Due to the ODB issues its not for sure all info from your car can be used, lukas have a list on the pages with the OBD models telling witch mostly korean and japanese cars support what.
I guess thats allso why these OBD supporting cameras are not yet sold in the West, but they have been on the marked in the East for some time.
Allso these models can only be seen on the korean part of the lukas website.
LK-7900 D type have it all. http://lukashd.com/product_info/blackbox_14_2.html
Lk-7500 D type have it all. http://lukashd.com/product_info/blackbox_17_2.html

I would take a LK-7500 D type any day and keep my mobius in the back as its very small and covert with the lens allmost touching the window.

Ipol is somewhat of a OBD Expert too ;)

@ kamkar1 Only if the OBD refers to OFF BINGE DRINKING .............:confused: o_O or should that read.........OFF...............BINGE DRINKING.............Its all in the interpretation. Ipol or just simply Out Buying Dashcams :)

Last edited:
@ zombiephysicst Try the LUKAS lk7900 ARA it has the OBD2 module and is the same size as the lk7900ace......Ipol............@ kamkar1 my dear old dad taught me believe nothing of what you read or hear.......and only half of what you see.......Ipol

yes sadly there is no OBD dual cameras, unless you will allso get the big screen on the front camera.
And the other dual cameras that is out there still in my eye have large rear cameras ( compared to the mobius )

i saw some videos on youtybe with LK-7700 pro + OBD, but those dont seem to exist on the lukas site, so my guess its a typing error. ( granted the lukas site isent a optimal designed site for non koreans )

Not all the info from the OBD connection, i think most of us are after what lukas have.
trottle position
rpm
brake position
gear indicator
indicators in use
steeringwheel angle

The biggest problem is only the OBD plug is standart, the signals in them are not the same from car brand to brand, and maybe even model to model.
Looking at lukas OBD videos on youtube many of them dont have the indicators arrows working, meaning the lukas Dashcam cant fully read the info on that car / model.
[/MEDIA]

thanks, Speed may also be helpful

yep but thats better to get from GPS than the more or less accurate speedos in the cars, my Little Suzuki indicate 88-89 km/h when i am doing 80 according to the GPS.

And +5 km/h here = a 1000 DKkr fine.

maybe I'm wrong, but they will not produce synched video. So you can do picture in picture production with the OBD overlay.
Just use the timestamps to sync up the videos, many dual-cams will not do picture-in-picture iirc

Has anyone tried using two 7900's and seeing if the software would treat files from the two cams as if it were a duo for picture in picture manipulation. If that works, it's a no brainer because the 7900 is a better camera.

Back