2 CH Cam with very good video quality and crashproof design

dediknight

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi,

i'm new to this forum but i recognized that there are may people here who know what they are talking about. Especially when it comes to dashcams. ;)

I am looking for advice in buying the right dashcam. There were some really close calls in the last 2 years because of some people overtaking without seeing if somebody comes the other way link in curves ore driving over small hills. And there where situations i had to react. Otherwise we would crash. Luckily i never hat to jump off the road to avoid a horrible crash. But i feel it can't take that long anymore and my luck might run out and i have to go off the road, damage or crash my car instead of crashing in someone overtaking with overspeed. But for the overtaker it might be tempting to run from the scene and i have no evidence or license plate.

What i wish for in a 2 CH dashcam (from most important to less important):
- awesome front video quality during daylight (catching fast moving license plates in the dark is impossible right now to my understanding)
- at least average video quality at night
- withstand violent crashes (it seems not many cams and mounts are build for this event)
- reliable
- one system instead of two seperate cams
- discrete design
- WiFi
- GPS
- no Screen (but not that important)

So essentially what i wish for is the video quality of a Xiaomi Yi (or even better a A12 + AR0230) with the functionality and design of Blackvue and the bulletproof mounting of a Thinkware F770.

My complains about different systems:

Thinkware F770:
- bitrate to low to catch license plates reliable from passing cars
- IMX122 is not one of the newest sensors.

-Lukas QVIA R975:
- silver lens housing is the opposite of discrete
- video quality looks almost the same as F770 but oversharpened
- no reviews

Lukas LK-9750 WD
- just average video quality at daylight. Oversharpened
- bulky

Vicovation Marcus 5
- absolutely oversharpened picture which results in loss of detail. it looks good at first glance but it has very few details

Blackvue DR650GW/S
- outdated in regards of video quality

IROAD V9
- bitrate could be higher (same as F770)
- despite the presumably newer sensor it doesn't look better regarding image quality

1 CH Systems:

DOD LS470W
- Mount can break in crash, resulting in the cam crashing into the windshield and a corrupt file on the SD Card. But video quality is great :)
- bulky
- can get out of focus in the sun

Xiaomi Yi
- bad mount
- out of focus if the camera gets hot
- unreliable

Right now i tend towards the F770. Why?
- video quality is good (but could be better)
- i would say the mount is best to withstand crashes. The mount is unlikely to break. Almost no leverage which could destroy the mount and the camera crashing into the windshield (and losing the important data of the crash). It seems to me, the mount is the most reliable in not losing the camera in a crash. If the adhesive tape withstands the forces. ;)
- "Dual-Record" event-data is stored in a better protected soldered internal memory
- Capacitors instead of LiIo.
- its not that discrete but ok
- reported to be reliable (despite thinkware implemented a function to reboot the camera once a day if it is hardwired to the car :rolleyes: )

Well well, a lot of bla bla from my side :D

My question: Is there any superior solution for the F770? Or have i overseen a good system? Or does someone know if a good dashcam with an AR0230 is around the corner?
Or should i stay at home in future? ;)

I appreciate any idea, hint, comment.. what so ever!
Thanks in advance!

Back