2-channel dashcam or dual separate dashcams?

Drizzt321

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I've been seriously considering getting a dashcam, but so many out there. You've got quite a number of great reviews here, which is very useful, but I'm trying to figure out which is best. A 2-channel front/back dashcam system? Or run 2 separate dashcams, just 1 is rear facing. For single cams, it seems the a119/a119s is about the top model right now, although Roav by Anker Dash Cam C1 seems to be getting some good reviews elsewhere around the net and is currently on sale. However, of concern is that the C1 has a battery rather than super-cap. For dual, based on the recommender, I'm strongly considering the SG9663DC, which is definitely pricey for what I'm looking to spend, but if I'm going to have something for most/all of while I own the car, better to spend somewhat more.

For vehicle, I've got a 2016 Volvo V60 CC, and there's a 12v outlet in the back area, not sure it's always on, and I'm pretty sure I could wiring in from the fuse box an always on, and I'm DIY enough that I can run a cable, although I'm hesitant about using a panel puller, but I'm pretty sure with some youtube videos I can do it safely and successfully.

Are there any other announced products for 2018 that look like a good step up? I'm not all that concerned about WiFi, in fact I'd like to be able to turn it off, although it could be useful at times. GPS is optional, and a good parking mode, preferably more bump activated (immediately!) might be better, but whatever the forum considers as a good parking mode.

There are and will be cameras with pretty much the same hardware as the 9663DC and at a cheaper price too, but i am also sure with those you will not be getting half of what SG can and will do for you after you have spent your money.
And they are cheaper for a reason, digging deep it might only be the SOC and the sensor, and maybe the ram thats the same, but that's also it.
To me that's worth something, not least in this bracket where there are a lot out there that will take your money for something and then leave you.
There are others i have heard off ( but not paid serious attention to ) but they have not proven them self yet ( i think ) in relation to long term use, and yet others are not even released yet just some "sound good" specs.
And i would not be happy to sign off on a cheap product before it have proven itself, i think those have to do that as you are often alone after you got the product, and so it have to be good / worth the money from the get go.

ATM the SG9663DC are pretty basic in regard to IQ from this new configuration of hardware, just like all the other ones, but the company will soon start to dial on those IQ buttons, and that should take them above other products using the "same" hardware.

I have been running multiple single cameras for a while now ( 4 at least ) and it is a pain when you have to get footage from them handling 4 memory cards, i am looking forward to be free of that problem.
I am somewhat affiliated with SG, but if you read up on them in here and elsewhere too i assume, you will have to dig deep to find anything that's really bad about those guys.
Sure they step in it too once in a while, and their product also fail , but if you find a company that is more active in dealing with that please tell me, cuz that's a brand i will have to consider too if i am to go dashcam shopping.

Dual cams do tend to be much more expensive. I have 2 individual cams, one (my A118c) is hardwired into my fuse box (cost me £40 new inc hardwire kit), and I have one of my Mio 508s (formerly my original front cam, paid £29 new) mounted in the rear and run from my 12v socket. Since I can't reach it I can't manually save events on the rear cam, that's literally my only issue.

I believe the Volvo rear power outlets are always on

The V60 is an awesome car. Very sleek looking

Yeah not bad, but i would still prefer another Volvo like my first car, and that was the 1967 - Volvo 121 Amazon
s-l1600.jpg

There is a price for being different, but in this case i would be happy to pay it.

Yeah not bad, but i would still prefer another Volvo like my first car, and that was the 1967 - Volvo 121 Amazon
s-l1600.jpg

There is a price for being different, but in this case i would be happy to pay it.

I see where the Ambassador got its design cues.

Welcome to DCT @Drizzt321 :)
2ch cams are fewer in number and even fewer of those are good compared tp 1ch cams. The SG9663DC is one of the better ones, maybe the best for reliability and image quality. They do have a 'dual-remote' version in the works but you'd have to wait on that. SG does cost more but they continue development instead of leaving issues unaddressed, and they have the best CS and company reputation on the planet (y)

Generally 2ch cams are easier to deal with as there's only one card and one PS. The downside is that for a given card size you get about half the recording time, and a PS, card, or processor problem can stop both cams. Using two 1ch cams offers redundancy and while you get longer card times, you now need 2 cards. And the rear cam might not be easy to access. Either way can work well with good cam(s), and there seems to be a pretty even split on which way is most popular ;) My preference is 2 seperate cams as I can afford that a lot better and it lets me pick and play around with different cams, but that's just me- YMMV. If you just want a 'do-it-once then drive' system then a 2ch might be better for you.

I hope I'm not adding to any confusion with all this, but either way is good so look more toward the features and IQ you want, then find a cam or cams which match that best. Just stay with good cams and good cards only and you'll be fine :cool:

Phil

Last edited:
I run 2 separate dash cams. I have two Goluk T3. They have wifi so not a big deal getting footage off either one of them. Never have to worry about taking the SD card out. Video quality is very good day and night time. I also run my cameras through a battery backup. I have the Anypower T plus Alpha. Very good back up and it has ran my cameras in parking mode for 2 days. Got it on Amazon. Coat me $149 I believe. Been using it for almost a year now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Welcome to DCT :)
Nice choice of cams too. The T3 doesn't get a lot of mention here but has a lot going for it. It's on my 'short list' of cams I'd buy if the budget allowed.

Phil

Welcome to DCT :)
Nice choice of cams too. The T3 doesn't get a lot of mention here but has a lot going for it. It's on my 'short list' of cams I'd buy if the budget allowed.

Phil
Thank you for the welcome. The T3 has a lot of features and the parking guard works well. I've tried a few different cams and this one works. I've been thinking about upgrading only to a cam that does 60fps. I hope goluk is thinking about this. As far as everything else I've been happy with the setup.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Having two separate cams gives you spare on the fly in case of camera failure.
If your 2ch cam fail you have none.

I'd go for 2 cams. If one dies you still have the other one. And more choice.

We have an old saying "don't put all your eggs in one basket" and that pretty much sums up this situation. Best to have 2 single cams. As said before, if one dies, you will at least still have one cam covering you.

Back