2 channel or 2 dash cams on budgetAlso would

Michelle S

Reaction score
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
What are your thoughts on https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01MEDLYAB
Mini0805 or mini0801 and the rear camera in this listing. Also open to other options but I think I need cameras with capacitor cause I live in the Caribbean and parking monitor ( both my brother and my moms car were hit in hit and runs and my mom was not around when it happened) hoping to do it under $100.

We are looking to get for 4 cars, my brother showed me this however I’m not sure about this https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01F5BC6BE
Also would appreciate information ASAP as I would to make choice by Saturday for the latest.

The older Mini series cams don't have a great reputation for reliability or longevity- the 0805 seems the best of those. The new 0906 2ch is an entirely different animal and seems to be very good. The 'Apeman' is an almost unknown brand; the one cam of their I've looked into wasn't impressive. The new B1W might be ideal here but AFAIK nobody has tested the parking mode yet- that is something I'll be starting on this weekend with mine ;) The A119 is great but you might need to catch a sale to get into your budget (read the 'parking mode' thread for this cam as that isn't a perfect feature yet but it might be good enough for you). IMHO the A119 is currently the best-bang-for-your-buck on the market today by a wide margin, holding it's own well against cams costing twice as much or more :D

With dashcams you don't get what you don't pay for and many sellers make claims the cams can't live up to. I would recommend avoiding any cam that is not well covered here on DCT as we see most of the good cams on these pages while avoiding the crappy ones :cool: Also use only the SD cards widely recommended here- anything less can stall even a great cam.

Welcome to DCT!
Phil

The older Mini series cams don't have a great reputation for reliability or longevity- the 0805 seems the best of those. The new 0906 2ch is an entirely different animal and seems to be very good. The 'Apeman' is an almost unknown brand; the one cam of their I've looked into wasn't impressive. The new B1W might be ideal here but AFAIK nobody has tested the parking mode yet- that is something I'll be starting on this weekend with mine ;) The A119 is great but you might need to catch a sale to get into your budget (read the 'parking mode' thread for this cam as that isn't a perfect feature yet but it might be good enough for you). IMHO the A119 is currently the best-bang-for-your-buck on the market today by a wide margin, holding it's own well against cams costing twice as much or more :D

With dashcams you don't get what you don't pay for and many sellers make claims the cams can't live up to. I would recommend avoiding any cam that is not well covered here on DCT as we see most of the good cams on these pages while avoiding the crappy ones :cool: Also use only the SD cards widely recommended here- anything less can stall even a great cam.

Welcome to DCT!
Phil

Thank you.

I saw the A119 on Newegg on sale ending today https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA29C4CU2453?icid=WP_0_11242017
But it doesn’t seem to have parking monitor which is very important.

But I’ll check it some more. If I got that I’ll still need a rear ca, below $40.

A119 now does parking mode- read about it here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-parking-mode-new-beta-feature.29382/
Sad to say but you're not going to find any really decent cams under about $60US. And of those only the new B1W has any kind of useful parking mode even though that is often claimed. 2ch cams of any repute start at about $100US. You can find cheaper cams but you'll be disappointed- better to spend a little more and get something worth having ;)

I'm rather poor and have always had a keen interest in the cheaper cams :D In the 4 years or so I've been using dashcams I've tried a few cheaper ones and have followed along as others tried different ones. The only sub-$50 cam I could recommend (no parking mode) seems to be no longer produced and one of the 2 of those I have is beginning to give trouble 15 months later. There is a certain base-level cost to get into this game and those who try for less inevitably find their choice was a bad one. I'm just trying to save you from that grief.

Phil

A119 now does parking mode- read about it here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-parking-mode-new-beta-feature.29382/
Sad to say but you're not going to find any really decent cams under about $60US. And of those only the new B1W has any kind of useful parking mode even though that is often claimed. 2ch cams of any repute start at about $100US. You can find cheaper cams but you'll be disappointed- better to spend a little more and get something worth having ;)

I'm rather poor and have always had a keen interest in the cheaper cams :D In the 4 years or so I've been using dashcams I've tried a few cheaper ones and have followed along as others tried different ones. The only sub-$50 cam I could recommend (no parking mode) seems to be no longer produced and one of the 2 of those I have is beginning to give trouble 15 months later. There is a certain base-level cost to get into this game and those who try for less inevitably find their choice was a bad one. I'm just trying to save you from that grief.

Phil

Thanks maybe I’ll try wait till Christmas or hopefully next year I’ll have a bit more money and tell my parents that there’s no point in buying a cam at the price they were hoping for. I was original thinking about getting the mini 0906 but I read that the parking monitor wasn’t good at the moment. I have since spent some of the money on something else that I wanted that I saw was on sale this week. I’ll keep an eye open for sales around Christmas and hope the parking on the mini 0906 is good then or get myself 2 A119. I forgot I was in an accident a while back and was told I was wrong because my car was in reverse gear even though my foot was on break while I was trying to close the gate. ( remote took too many falls.)

Mini 0906 meets your needs, but the price. :(

T&T are a hot place, so would have to be careful using parking guard with the car parked in the sun as a camera running also generate heat, so that along with what the sun bring can easy push a camera up over its upper temperature limit.
If you park in a parking garage or at least in the shade you should be good, but in the street under the sun might be a problem.

And welcome to the forum Michelle.

Pardon my missing the Goluk T3, I had thought it was more costly than that (so much for my aging memory :(). It is another good option. If you're buying individual cams you can just get them one at a time as the money shows up- that's how I have to do it :whistle: If set up right, the 0906 parking mode can work OK but the settings you need to use to avoid gaps may not be intuitive.- that's why I recommended reading about it. I'll have something on the B1W soon too.

The usual recommendation is to buy only from known good local sellers but if you're willing to chance not needing after-sales service, the Chinese sellers like AliExpress, Banggood, and Gearbest can save you a considerable sum of money. I've gotten about half my cams this way. Sometimes you can find flash sales there to save even more. You do have to watch out for fakes; read the description carefully or you may get a similar looking but entirely different cam :eek: Using a warranty through these sellers can make strong men weep in frustration but with good cams your chances of needing that are small. Only you can decide if the risks and slow shipping are worth it :eek:

Another option some of us use is to record constantly instead of using a parking mode. This will void any cam's warranty but you will positively capture the video you need without gaps. It takes a large enough card to not overwrite before you get back to your car and find any damage, and those size cards aren't cheap. Plus if you do find damage you'll have to view every vid file manually till you get the one showing the incident :whistle: Also there are only a few cams that have a known good track record of reliability being used this way. Not convenient, just another possibility you might want to consider :)

Since you're going to have some time before buying, read the forums here on the cams you like and see what others have experienced with them. This is far better than reading reviews on a seller's site where manipulation and fake reviews are more likely to happen, and where many reviews come from people without cam experience. We're not biased here and we generally have high expectations of cams because we have seen or experienced what the good ones are and we know what is possible and what isn't. We do our best to see that you get a cam which meets your needs :cool:

Phil

Back