2-channel video file splitter utility for Windows - New v2.1 splits entire folders!

basically the script assumes that you already know your video file is multi channel and tries to split it based on what ffmpeg finds inside. i imagine if you fed it a file that only has one video and one audio track, it would just output a copy of the front (with or without audio) and a blank file for rear video. i never tried that. but it shouldn't hurt anything to try...
Given that my MP4 files from my Iroad uses different channels numbers for front and rear than cacherjoes Thinkware F550, I assumed that there was logic in the script assigning "-front" and "-rear" files based on the camera model. Your vbs script has the files named correctly for my MP4's. Perhaps AVI and MP4 files treat the channels differently.

I will pull the plug on my rear camera and see what happens on the "-rear" file.

Given that my MP4 files from my Iroad uses different channels numbers for front and rear than cacherjoes Thinkware F550, I assumed that there was logic in the script assigning "-front" and "-rear" files based on the camera model. Your vbs script has the files named correctly for my MP4's. Perhaps AVI and MP4 files treat the channels differently.

I will pull the plug on my rear camera and see what happens on the "-rear" file.

basically my script just tells ffmpeg to call the first video track it finds "front" and the second one "rear", and if the user says they want audio, it will find the first audio track and combine it with the front and rear files, and also write it out by itself.

i expect that if you feed the script a file that only has one video and one audio track, then select yes for audio, the front file will be normal - it'll have front video and audio. the rear file will probably be just the audio, if it gets created at all. and the audio-only file will be fine.

If version 2.0 could demux multiple files that would be cool.

Well, you asked for it! Version 2.0 is here, and the big change that justified a major version increase is... Multiple File Support! Now after you select a file, it asks if you want to split another one. In theory there's no limit to the number of files you can split at one time other than the size of your screen since it lists the files every time you add one.

This will work with all the same cameras as previous versions, since the actual code to split the files is just about the only thing I re-used from the previous versions. To add multiple file support, I basically had to rewrite the entire script from scratch.

Here's the download link: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...plitter-utility-for-windows.9814/#post-122204

Operation is still basically the same, but I've updated the documentation anyway. To see that, go to the first post in this thread.

As always, please post any bug reports or feature requests here in this thread, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Changelog:
v1.0: 19 Feb 2015
Initial release

v1.01: 20 Feb 2015
Corrected syntax error while deleting temporary batch file at the end of the job when NOT including audio. If you ran 1.0 without including audio, it would leave AVI-Splitter-temp.bat in the destination directory. Running again while including audio would delete the file at the end, or you can simply delete the file yourself - no harm done. Fixed missing file handle close at end of no-audio branch. Also reduced duplicated code within the audio/no-audio SELECT branches.

v1.02: 06 Apr 2015
Added support for JaewonCNC Iroad Ione 3300ch by allowing the script to also inspect MP4 files, not just AVI. I could just remove all file type limitations, but I am limiting the file types it can process so that if someone accidentally selects a non-video file as an input file, ffmpeg doesn't try to do anything crazy. Better safe than sorry. Thus renamed script from AVI Splitter to Video Splitter.

v2.00: 28 May 2015
Major rewrite - now lets you split multiple files at once! Source files (files to be split) do not need to be in the same folder, but individual/split/output files will all be placed in the folder you select. This way you can read them directly from the SD card and create the output files somewhere else, but if you copied them off the SD card already, you can allow it to create the new files in the same folder. Script no longer writes the log file, since I figure nobody really needs that. Also, the script no longer writes the audio-only wav file - again, I don't think people really want that, and when you're splitting lots of files, this lets it finish faster.

Download the script here:
I am having a tough time with this. I have followed the instructions and when I open the video splitter script, my computer goes into a loop of "you did not select ffmpeg.exe". And asks if I want to continue to run scripts on this page. May have something to do with Windows 10?

I have the CF-100 and just want to put the audio, rear channel as main view and front channel as PIP. Then put it into a video file I can watch on my phone or other device

I am having a tough time with this. I have followed the instructions and when I open the video splitter script, my computer goes into a loop of "you did not select ffmpeg.exe". And asks if I want to continue to run scripts on this page. May have something to do with Windows 10?
Not likely. I haven't tried it in the release version of windows 10 but i have used it in the win 10 tech preview and it was fine. Do you have ffmpeg.exe in the same folder as the .vbs file? It should work even if ffmpeg is in a different folder but it will nag you about it every time you start the script.

Or maybe it's as simple as a bad download from here. Can't hurt to redownload the script from the forum and try again since it's such a small download.

Actually now that I think about it, the "on this page" part of the error makes it sound like it's trying to run in internet explorer or edge. It should be running from wscript.exe. can you check task manager and see if wscript is listed under processes while the script is prompting about ffmpeg?

Not likely. I haven't tried it in the release version of windows 10 but i have used it in the win 10 tech preview and it was fine. Do you have ffmpeg.exe in the same folder as the .vbs file? It should work even if ffmpeg is in a different folder but it will nag you about it every time you start the script.

Or maybe it's as simple as a bad download from here. Can't hurt to redownload the script from the forum and try again since it's such a small download.

Actually now that I think about it, the "on this page" part of the error makes it sound like it's trying to run in internet explorer or edge. It should be running from wscript.exe. can you check task manager and see if wscript is listed under processes while the script is prompting about ffmpeg?
I will try this tomorrow, for sure. I may even get a screen recording of what's happening or of me going from start to finish. It's pretty quick and easy to setup

Maybe I'm just a novice, but it seems so odd to me that I can't find a simple solution to do what I want to do.

I like the cf-100 player, but I can't switch the channels so that I can view the interior channel as the main and the front as small PIP with audio. Much less record it that way.

i found the blacksys player to be sorely lacking - especially the "magnify" function. it doesn't actually zoom in on the video; it only makes the pixels on your screen bigger, just like the standard windows "Magnify" tool. which is completely worthless. it makes it look like your video is lower quality than it actually is.

FYI - once you split the file with my script, you'll then need to use some video editing software to do the PiP you want to do, such as VSDC.

Just curious though - why do you want the rear cam to be the main view? trying to show something that happened behind you?

OK I just tried the script on the release version of windows 10 enterprise (that's what we have at work), and it works fine there too.

All i can think is maybe you downloaded the ffmpeg 7zip file but then didn't unzip it. you don't need to extract every single file inside the 7zip; just the bin\ffmpeg.exe file.

i found the blacksys player to be sorely lacking - especially the "magnify" function. it doesn't actually zoom in on the video; it only makes the pixels on your screen bigger, just like the standard windows "Magnify" tool. which is completely worthless. it makes it look like your video is lower quality than it actually is.

FYI - once you split the file with my script, you'll then need to use some video editing software to do the PiP you want to do, such as VSDC.

Just curious though - why do you want the rear cam to be the main view? trying to show something that happened behind you?
That is my only complaint...the zoom part. I don't use that feature very often, but it looks horrible when I do. So, you are saying there is a better software to be able to view the front and/or rear channels that has excellent zoom?

I use the rear camera for in-cabin view, I am a rideshare driver. I had a funny ride the other day and wanted to share it with the passengers who gave me their email address.

VLC will view them in full resolution even without splitting, but if your monitor can't do full HD, it still won't show full detail. you'll need video editing software to be able to zoom in. that said, the rear cam is only 1280x720p so that may be viewable in full rez for your monitor.

VLC appears to have a zoom function, but i think it's only for when the video is lower resolution than your monitor... ie: you wanted to enlarge a 720p video to fill the screen on a 1080p monitor.

I tried vlc and it opens a second(3d) window. That works OK, but I found the whole process kinda clunky. I may have to revisit vlc and see if I can make it work. A straight-forward PiP option with the ability to swap, frame and zoom easily would be great.

I think my monitor is ful HD.

well, video editing software is about as straightforward as it will get in this case, i think. almost all video files on the planet are single channel - that is, one video channel per file. these files from the cf-100 and some other dashcams are multi-channel, which makes them inherently more difficult to work with.

it's not really THAT hard, especially once you have them split using this script, or splitting them manually using ffmpeg and a bunch of command line switches. that's the point of this script - to allow you to split and not have to deal with a command line at all. my day job involves a lot of automation, so it didn't take me long to write this script - it's similar to a fair bit of the stuff i work with daily. and if you look at the script itself, it's really not that complicated. i tried to comment it well... mostly so i don't have to remember what i was thinking when i made a certain section when i'm troubleshooting it weeks/months later. :)

I think I am doing this right, but I am still encountering an error. At least it's not the loop I was getting in before.
Here are the two roadblocks that I am encountering...
1st Error.png 1st Error.png
I have a 64-bit machine, but I installed the "32-bit static" per the instructions. I extracted only ffmpeg.exe and the script into the same folder
folder view.png

Attachments

• 2nd Error.png
    2nd Error.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 6
thanks for the screenshots; they help a lot. it sounds like it's getting past the check for ffmpeg just fine now, since it's letting you try to pick a file to split.

the really long char number in the 2nd error.png is a bit of a red flag. the file path can't possibly be that long. thing is, it looks like the videos are all in a subfolder on your desktop (assuming the micha user is you), so the path should be pretty short. and it shouldn't matter if there's a space in the path - my folders have spaces in them too, and you can see it in the examples in the how-to in the first post.

line 64 is gathering the file information into an object so that i can make sure it's avi or mov, and also to get the front part of the filename for later use in creating the -front/-rear filenames for output files.

when it tells you to select a file, how are you doing it? clicking the file to highlight it then clicking OPEN, or just double-clicking it? in theory it should work either way. i can't get back on the win10 machine right now to test (it's being reimaged) but i just tried both ways on my win7 machine and both work fine. don't try to use shift or control to select multiple files, as that won't work with the way the script is written. i just tried that on my win7 box and it won't let me shift or ctrl click in that file selector - is yours different?

i can't imagine that any sort of antivirus or browser plugins could affect this... the actual file browse dialog box is in fact an mshta construct, which may use parts of IE, but again - it worked fine to select a file on my win10 vm this morning.

by chance, did you disable ie11? maybe that's the issue?

This will help you see what is happening on my end

oh wow - it gets the file not found before you even select a file! that tells me it's not waiting for the file browse dialog to finish, or maybe something is filtering activex controls in IE on your machine. like i said, mshta.exe has hooks into internet explorer. the weird part is that the file selection dialog actually opens - you'd think if it was blocked, it wouldn't open at all.

i have one more request for you - there's an app in win10 called Steps Recorder. it does something similar to what you did with the video, but instead it takes screenshots when you click on stuff and takes detailed notes about which executables are running and what they're doing with your clicks/input. i'm hoping maybe it'll tell me something about what mshta is doing, or if it's a different version or SOMETHING... there has to be a reason this is only misbehaving on your machine.

I just used the steps recorder on my win10 preview VM. it creates a small zip file with a .mht (compressed html with images, only opens in IE) with the screenshots for each step and detailed app info at the bottom. here's mine, showing that i had no trouble getting past the file selection screen (attached).

do you have any addons in IE like maybe an aggressive popup blocker, ghostery, noscript, something like that? i don't really use IE or edge so i don't have any addons in either. chrome is my default browser.

i just turned on activex filtering and that still didn't break it. i'm really scratching my head here. maybe your steps recorder info will shed some light on it.

Attachments

• steps recorder - gibson99 win10.zip
    242 KB · Views: 1
ActiveX Filtering is NOT checked. I don't use IE either...only Chrome
I went ahead and disabled IE's popup blocker, even though I can't imagine that would cause this.

Here is my Steps Recorder .zip file

Attachments

• Steps.zip
    648.6 KB · Views: 1
thanks. the only difference i see in the version number for both mshta and wscript is the windows build number. the actual major and minor versions are the same. this shouldn't matter.

in fact now that my "full" non-preview version of win10 has been reimaged, i tried it there again. still working fine. build/version numbers there match yours every step of the way.

i'm really stumped on this one. i want it to work for you, and everything i'm seeing says it should, but obviously it doesn't. the problem is obviously with its interaction with mshta.exe because you had problems with trying to locate ffmpeg.exe until you put it in the same folder as the vbs file - that file browse dialog box uses the same code/calls to mshta.exe.

question is, why the heck is it having a problem with such a simple, basic function?

i'm gonna sleep on it... maybe i'll come up with something tomorrow.

this is a stretch, but have you tried the previous version of the script? it probably won't make a difference because the file browse dialog code is still the same, but i'm honestly grasping at straws at this point.

Back