2 way cigarette lighter adaptor

That particular Hella 2-way splitter or 2-way splitters in general?

If it's that particular splitter then I don't know. It should be OK as Hella is a well-known company.

I have run 2-way, 3-way, and 4-way unbranded splitters with no problems. I don't always have every socket in use though. In One vehicle I have a 3-way splitter that powers two RoadHawk dashcams (front & rear) in two sockets and the third socket runs a dual USB plug that powers my phone (for SatNav) and either an iPod for music or my wife's phone.

Regards,

Yes you'll be fine. The device you linked can handle 10A.... Dash cams use very little current. Both my dash cams use 400ma (0.4A) each....

For what it's worth I've been running two dash cams from one cigarette lighter socket for ages... No issues...

one nextbase will be plugged in and for the second camera im thinking a small garmin so according to what you all say i'll be safe
thanks

Any splitter should be OK, but if the PS isn't a really tight fit and where you can keep an eye on it, you might want to tape the PS's to the sockets- sometimes they work loose from road bumps and such.

Phil

do i have to unplug this adaptor when i shut the car off ? i believe once the car is off it cuts off power to the socket

It depends on the car. Those adapters (the type) work OK for a while, generally they fail, eventually. (100-150000 miles) The cig lighter plugs are a weak link, and if ou can come up with the correct USB power cables, it's a lot neater and less problems to run the cams throgh a splitter like that they offers USB power sockets, not the cig lighter sockets.

the car is a toyota c-hr hybrid
the cig plug is inside the armrest and the one and only usb port is under the center console

I've used splitters like this for many years with no real problems as long as the plugs remain well seated. You don't want to use the car's built-in UBS ports, they are known to not work well with dashcams.

Phil

Back