2014 DOD LS360W Sony Exmor CMOS, ISO3200, F1.6, WDR, 3DNR, 5x GPS, HUD

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
At Hong Kong Trade Show April 2014 DOD Tech has presented LS360W which is using Sony Exmor CMOS sensor ( more likely IMX122LQJ ? )

In Taiwan it cost 166USD without GPS antenna.

eBay ( Taiwan ) you may find it for 189.99USD ( No GPS antenna ), or 214.99USD ( with GPS antenna ).

YouTube VIDEOS

DOD LS360W (1).jpg

DOD LS360W (2).jpg

DOD LS360W (3).jpg

DOD LS360W (4).jpg

DOD LS360W (5).jpg

DOD LS360W (6).jpg

DOD LS360W (7).jpg

DOD LS360W (8).jpg

DOD LS360W (9).jpg

Tio-tech is ODM for many Trading Companies, inc DOD.

With MOQ Tio-Tech can even print "niko", or "reverend"-brand ;)

I tried finding the TioTech version or sale but nothing yet - was hoping it would be cheaper like the other non DOD versions :)

Have to admit I'm tempted to have a punt on the LS460W to see the quality - have you tried any of those yet?

So far the sample videos of the LS360W and LS460W look great - can't find any raw footage anywhere yet though!

For sure quality must be good. Overall I have positive experience with Tio-tech products from the past. I had chance to get whole new range of Dod Sony Exmor products in April at HK Trading show, but I didnt found a "sponsor" and my own money I didnt see a reason to spend on it.

U can be first to buy, test and share results with us ;)

From the past examples I can assume that branded will be +10+20% higher priced than non-branded TioTech.

That's bonkers - with the time and effort you put into your reviews you'd think they'd let you have them for free - with a good Niko review it would potentially sell loads of units!

DOD hold a high opinion of their own marketing prowess and are unlikely to think they need outside help, some people tell it like it is though and they're a bit loose with the truth when it comes to specification so they may prefer not to endorse people pulling their hardware apart

It does feel a bit like price fixing tbh on the website where they pretty much list everyone who sells their cameras.

Maybe Nextbase will brand these again like they did with the previous generation?

That's bonkers - with the time and effort you put into your reviews you'd think they'd let you have them for free - with a good Niko review it would potentially sell loads of units!
My time spent on proper complete review with all sort of tests is around 40-60 hours. If I would work in McDonalds 10Eur p/h, its around 400-600 eur ( 500-800$ ), which is many times higher than "free" product cost.

I do my tests and reviews mainly because of individual couriosity to understand more deeply dashcamworld.

U can be first to buy, test and share results with us ;)
My mrs is very unhappy with you because I have just ordered an LS460W from DOD UK!

Hopefully this will be the last dashcam I buy now - until the Panorama 3 :)

My mrs is very unhappy with you because I have just ordered an LS460W from DOD UK!

Hopefully this will be the last dashcam I buy now - until the Panorama 3 :)
Hi,
When you going to get the LS460W?
It would really help me if after you recived the camera you will do a review and tell me if everything is fine with this camera.

"I have problem with my new LS430W:
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/issue-in-focus-and-sharpness-of-the-camera.6311/#post-74658
The seller ask me if i want that he will replace my camera in another LS430W or that i will wait to the end of August and he will send me a new LS460W.
What do you think? should I wait for the new camera or take another new LS430W?
What will be the differences between them?
The Sony Exmor CMOS sensor is alot better then the Aptina AR0330 CMOS sensor?
I'm afraid that the new LS460W will have problems."

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an LS430W here (Nextbase 402g) so I'll get footage from both so it's possible to see the difference (if any).

I'm really hopeful of this one (but I have been of a few I sent back too!!)

Got a special delivery number this morning so looks like it will be landing soon.

I'm a bit of a knob though - I've just reread the first post and that sensor is potentially the same as the Panorama - although saying that the sample videos I have seen seem to have very low noise levels at night.

Maybe it's just because they've stuck a 1.6 lens in front of it rather than 2.8 like the Panorama so they don't need to drive the sensor so hard at night?

Spec wise it seems to indicate 3 megapixel which would make it different, but like you guys say the specs can be very loosely interpreted at time!!

Did just find this which sounds new (to me anyway) - a Sony sensor mixed with an A7:

http://starview.manufacturer.global...7468629/pdtl/Car-black/1073429325/Car-DVR.htm

I can keep guessing all I like - in a few days when I upload the raw footage we'll have a better idea I guess - one of the first things I'll be doing is trying an autoexec.ash to see if it responds to that :)

What sort of price are we talking for the sensors please? I noticed there are quite a lot of security cameras on the market using the IMX122 and they're all priced at under $99 - just not sure what percentage of that is just the sensor though?

The Omnivision OV4689 sensor seems more vibrant with reds than the Aptina ones in the footage I've had so far, but I do keep finding myself coming back to the Novatek / Aptina combo.

I notice the SDK says it supports Samsung sensors too - have you seen many of those yet? Just wondering where they fit in price / performance wise - Samsung seem to have their fingers everywhere these days!

Samsung and Sony pricing is similar, as a percentage they're much higher in cost than Aptina or Omnivision sensors, you're talking about products where suppliers are competing on cost though so the price is more than they're willing to spend

Are there any video quality comparison of OV4689 and Sony Exmor CMOS sensor?

I've put some comparisons up in the LS460W thread - that was using a CPL so I need to repeat with the LS460W not using a CPL.

There are focus issues reading plates with the LS460W which are exaggerated with the CPL. It is better without the CPL in terms of plate reading but still far from perfect and needs work.

I'm actually just waiting on a new LS460W as the one I had developed other faults and once that arrives I can do more testing.

The big win for the LS460W comes at dusk - what appears dark on the OV4689 camera looks like daytime on the 460. There are lots of pics and vids in the 460 thread.

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...r-cmos-iso3200-f1-6-wdr-3dnr-5x-gps-hud.6051/

I have issues with reflections on the 460 and have a new higher end Hoya HD CPL ready to test when it comes back.

The bitrate of the G90 was cranked up with a custom firmware in that comparison so I need to do one of both cameras with factory settings, standard firmware and no CPL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comparisons between sensors don't mean a lot unless the rest of the hardware is the same, I have seen side by side comparisons of Sony Exmor v OV4689 and the OV looked better in the demo I saw, that doesn't automatically mean it is better though, I believe the high heat stability of the Sony is better and I'd expect that would give it an edge under certain circumstances

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S DOD LS300 11