2014 DOD LS460W Sony Exmor CMOS, ISO3200, F1.6, WDR, 3DNR, 5x GPS, HUD

Grabbed a screengrab from the LS460W from the same point I have grabs from the GT680W and G90 - not at the same time but turns out the LS460W is getting more detail further down the line. It's the 3DNR I reckon needs tweaking with the new sensor.

24v1ond.jpg

g90scs.jpg

gt680wscs.jpg

I'm working away for a couple of days so will get better comparisons later.

I did notice that as the LS460W doesn't seem to increase the ISO when my headlights are on that's why it's not massively better at night. Maybe that needs tweaking too so that more details will pop - as if it only kicks in to the highest ISO when your headlights are off that's not exactly taking advantage of the new sensor!

So which is better LS430W or LS460W?

Possibly a daft question - if the camera already has a UV filter in would that prevent a CPL filter from working?

This camera is struggling massively with the reflection of my speaker grille - A7 devices were similar but for some reason the Novatek and Aptina combo was the best at handling this. Numberplate reading is terrible as this thing is so far.

So which is better LS430W or LS460W?
As things stand the LS460W I have seems hyper sensitive to windscreen reflections and doesn't respond to a CPL filter if that is an issue to you?

I would hope it would get better with firmware updates but as things stand I wish I'd just bought a Panorama!

Night time footage is better on the LS460W than the LS430W, but currently reading numberplate in daytime video is worse in my experience in my VW CC.

I really do need more time to look as I've been working away constantly the last few days so haven't had much chance to check it out.

What do you mean when you say that the camera is not responding to the CPL filter?
The CPL filter work on your other cameras and reduce the windscreen reflection?
Most of my driving is usually during the day and directly facing the sun, so i need to use the CPL filter.

The night time footage is not that important to me, i prefer better day time footage.
So you're saying it's better to stay with LS430W and not wait for the LS460W?

The CPL filter doesn't do anything.

I may have a bad camera - like I say, I need more time to try and figure it out unfortunately.

I'm going to try some Meguiars cleaning stuff on the dash to see if it helps matters at all.

But you tried to rotate the CPL filter?
Try to put a white sheet on your dashboard and then rotate the filter.

Yeah I tried it and it didn't seem to affect it - how accurate do you have to be as maybe I moved it too fast.

Will try again later - got another 100 miles to drive now :(

OK massive beginner's error with the CPL - it was on backwards!!

I've currently now got it stuck on with the 3M tape from Lidl - here's another test indoors this time but you can see the TV reflections clearly changing as it's rotated:

Half of me is now wondering if with a CPL filter fitted it means darker night video, which may help push the ISO rating of the DOD higher to actually get clearer night footage - we shall see tonight!

What sort of vehicle do you drive @Tupakinneri as it feels like the windscreen is almost vertical?

The quality looks excellent.

I'm just reviewing the footage with the CPL filter on mine and it has made a huge difference so far in all conditions - I'll put some screenshots up shortly but everything has improved. Night time footage is very dark with the CPL filter as expected and my ISO levels have gone from 1200 up to 2200 with the filter fitted and with that comes the extra noise too.

The reflections cause a huge issue for this camera and I am going to ask DOD if they would think about providing an official solution to fix this.

These pics show the difference the CPL made for me:

28guk9v.jpg

1ic13r.jpg

15wjujb.jpg

2u6js6c.jpg

And the video footage:

Some before shots:
2ymf7ye.jpg

2u71310.jpg

And after shots:
ri9o4o.jpg

vxhekz.jpg

4se4b4.jpg

Straight into the sun shots:
2dsh2fo.jpg

29ar8g2.jpg

o89zj8.jpg

2lxtoqt.jpg

And two night shots (or at least dark tunnel)- notice the much higher ISO value with the CPL filter:
2ez1nh1.jpg

bhg6s6.jpg

Last edited:
Noticed a strange one in some lighting conditions where it seems there's mismatch with the frame rate or exposure:

153yalx.jpg

You can see there are no details and from the angel eye's on the BMW there are replicated showing the exposure time is too long maybe.

Just thinking if you're in a hit and run you wouldn't have any details!

What sort of vehicle do you drive @Tupakinneri as it feels like the windscreen is almost vertical?

The quality looks excellent.

I'm just reviewing the footage with the CPL filter on mine and it has made a huge difference so far in all conditions - I'll put some screenshots up shortly but everything has improved. Night time footage is very dark with the CPL filter as expected and my ISO levels have gone from 1200 up to 2200 with the filter fitted and with that comes the extra noise too.

The reflections cause a huge issue for this camera and I am going to ask DOD if they would think about providing an official solution to fix this.

I'm driving Fiat Ducato motorhome on those videos and cameras are placet down.

I'm happy with the quality. Colors are much more natural. Areas in shadows are lighter. Sharpnes are equal.

Have you try to set EV+1 with CPL filter ? Our nights are still so bright, can't make experiments :)
Made order of Keiko 28mm CPL filter. I will test if the quality is higher and image stay bright.

I've got to admit I've not yet - I've got a problem reading plates in certain footage like the BMW above and I think upping the EV could make that even worse due to the longer exposure! I'll have a play around and see how I get on :)

Are you in PAL or NTSC mode btw?

To be fair brightness wise it seems fine even with the CPL!

Back