2014 ML350 pre-installation questions

iBud

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR650GW-1CH
Aloha everyone,

I just placed an order for a DR650GW-1CH and a Power Magic Pro. When I looked at the wiring diagram for my vehicle, I was a bit dismayed to find that I won't be able to use the fuse box on the passenger end of the front console. I, instead, have to use the fuse box located under the rear seats. I have yet to measure the length, but I hope the power cable will be long enough to be routed all the way.

Here's my question. When looking for fuses to tap, what voltages should be targeted? I understand the constant power vs. power when the engine is on or off, but I have three 30v fuses (rear window defroster, radio systems, and remote tailgate operation/2nd row seat heating, respectively), two 20v fuses (power outlets, trunk and 2nd seat line, respectively) fuses, and one 15v fuse (cigar lighter) in this fuse box. Could I tap any of the 30v fuses? I think the one for radio systems would be good, but it's 30v. Its that too much power to the Power Magic Pro? I have to check the 20v fuses to see if they're constant.

I'm obviously not an electrician and appreciate any and all responses. I can use all the help I can get.

Aloha joking, and thank you for your response. As I mentioned, I'm obviously not an electrician. Anyway, the same question remains - how many amps are actually needed for the constant and switched lines from the Power Magic Pro? I also have 10amp, 7.5 amp, and 5 amp fuses.

the camera itself will draw very little power, the circuit will have a bit overhead but it's about choosing an appropriate circuit for the task, don't tap into airbags, safety systems, ecu etc. I'd normally look at a 10 amp circuit if there is something appropriate there

the camera itself will draw very little power, the circuit will have a bit overhead but it's about choosing an appropriate circuit for the task, don't tap into airbags, safety systems, ecu etc. I'd normally look at a 10 amp circuit if there is something appropriate there

Aloha again jokiin. I would actually like to use the fuse box in the front console on the passenger side, but after looking at the wiring diagram, I'm not sure that I can. Here's what I have: 2x 15amps (blower rear passenger compartment and A/C module, respectively), 1x10amps (lane tracking package, so a safety system and out of contention), 2x 7.5 amps (ignition lock and central display, respectively), and 4x 5 amps (instrument cluster, diagnostic socket, airbag systems/hazard warning flasher/PARKTRONIC/residual engine-heat utilization, and engine electronics; also out of contention).

I'll have to check and see which ones are switched and which ones are constant. The fuse box under the rear seats has more fuses available, but I have an SUV and need to verify the length of cable needed, and where I would place the Power Magic Pro unit itself. Were I to go that route, can there be too many amps for either the switched or constant wires from the Power Magic Pro?

it won't draw a lot of power, the blower/AC circuit would be ok, that is likely a switched circuit

it won't draw a lot of power, the blower/AC circuit would be ok, that is likely a switched circuit

Aloha jokiin, I didn't see anything that stood out as constant, so I may have to use the fuse box under the rear seat anyway.

Have you considered using an add-a-fuse adapter with your PMP. I connected to a 10A fuse and put in a 2A fuse on the camera side.

Have you considered using an add-a-fuse adapter with your PMP. I connected to a 10A fuse and put in a 2A fuse on the camera side.

Aloha JohnM. That's the route I was thinking about. The ones I saw on Amazon didn't specify the amps on the included fuse. I was unaware of your solution. Now I just need to verify constant vs. switched fuses. I just ran into a guy at work that used to install custom stereos in MB vehicles while stationed in Germany and he also offered to help me with this. Thanks for your suggestion. That will potentially help me a great deal.

EDIT: I had a "D'oh!" moment there. I looked at the fuse taps on Amazon again and figured out what you meant. When I looked closely at the description, one of the items indicated that the set included 15a fuses on the taps. I just need to take out the original fuse, insert it into the empty slot on the fuse tap, then insert the fuse tap into the fuse box. That's pretty simple.

Last edited:
The PMP instructions suggest that if your vehicle has a "battery saving function", connect the yellow wire to the emergency lights (4-way flashers). Good luck with the installation. Now you have to decide which SD card that you're going to use. I suggest you stick with the Blackvue card initally, and then try others once you're confident with the camera.

The PMP instructions suggest that if your vehicle has a "battery saving function", connect the yellow wire to the emergency lights (4-way flashers). Good luck with the installation. Now you have to decide which SD card that you're going to use. I suggest you stick with the Blackvue card initally, and then try others once you're confident with the camera.

Aloha JohnM. I'm not sure about the battery saving function - I kind of thought the PMP would do that, in that I can set the voltage shut-off for the camera to preserve battery charge. I'll have to check to see which fuse is used for the emergency flashers - that may actually be in the engine compartment. Thank you for your wish for good luck - I'll take all that I can get.

As for the SD card, I went with the 16GB version, and added a 64GB Sandisk Ultra Class 10. I'll most likely use the included BlackVue card for the first couple of weeks anyway. One thing I like about BlackVue is that they support the Mac platform, as I found their software, at least in he YouTube videos, to be quite good. I can't wait - I checked Amazon and it's "preparing for shipping" - I'm almost like a kid in a candy store at this point!

EDIT: JohnM, I just checked, and the emergency flashers have a 5a fuse on it. If I were to use an add-a-circuit fuse tap with an included 15a fuse, I would basically have two circuits with a total capacity of 20a. Would the wire connected to that original 5a fuse be able to handle up to 20a?

Please check the type of add-a-fuse adapter you have. The add-a-fuse adapter I used didn't come with fuses, only 2 empty fuse slots. Use the original fuse from your vehicle box in one side of the adapter (in your case, 5A, for the emergency flashers) and a 2A on the camera side.

PS. Although living in Lincolnshire, I'm from Scotland. In Scotland we don't have candy stores, we call them sweetie shops.

Please check the type of add-a-fuse adapter you have. The add-a-fuse adapter I used didn't come with fuses, only 2 empty fuse slots. Use the original fuse from your vehicle box in one side of the adapter (in your case, 5A, for the emergency flashers) and a 2A on the camera side.

PS. Although living in Lincolnshire, I'm from Scotland. In Scotland we don't have candy stores, we call them sweetie shops.

Aloha JohnM. I haven't bought the add-a-fuse adapters just yet. I'll have to pull the fuse to see whether it's an ATO or Maxi fuse first. I figured that those would be pretty plentiful in car shops around town here in Honolulu.

Thanks for the clarification on sweetie shops. I think the lexical differences between different countries is rather interesting. You really should hear how some of the "natives" here in Honolulu speak.

Well, I got the notification that it was delivered today! I'm working with a friend to get it hardwired - I still have to pick up the add-a-fuse adapters and a couple of 5a fuses, then select a good ground and all, but in the interim, I can install it and run the power around the windshield then up and over the front and rear doors, then down to the rear seats. I should have enough to run it to the power outlet in the back of the center console (between the front seats). It's about 10 feet routing it that way down to the rear seats, so if the power cable is longer than 12 feet, I'm good. I'll let y'all know when it's all fully installed (hardwired and everything). Thanks again for all the great information you've given me.

Back