2014 UK Passat CC internal fusebox diagram for fitting a dashcam?

dwl99

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius C2
I'm wanting to hard-wire a dashcam to the fusebox at the end of the dashboard but there seems to be precious little information about the layout of the fusebox. I don't want to start randomly pulling out fuses in case I end up doing something stupid. Ideally I would be looking for a terminal that is live only when the ignition is on, e.g. cigarette lighter, windows. Can anyone help? I have an add-a-circuit that plugs into the fusebox and a 12v->5v step-down. My guess is that the cigarette lighter fuse is one of the big 20A ones.

Thanks
20150907_2000262.jpg

Plug something into the cigarette lighter, and start pulling a fuse out, one at a time, until whatever you plugged in, turns off?

Are those empty fuse spots in the photo? Perhaps you could utilize one of those. Or if my eyes are playing tricks, then I like the above idea. I don't have the same car, but I used an add a fuse to install my dash cam and the cigarette lighter was on a 15 amp fuse (sorry, not a 5)

Last edited:
Sometimes the obvious solution is staring you in the face, or in this situation....not? :)

Speaking of which...you're sure that on the inside of that cover panel to the fuse box they didn't label what they are? I know that's like when you're having computer troubles and the first thing someone asks is "is it plugged in?" But...had to ask anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I had spotted the empty sockets but they were all powered up with the ignition off. There was no diagram inside the fusebox cover either. In the end I plugged a device into the 12V socket and started pulling the 20A fuses one at a time until it shut off. Of course, it was the last one I tried, the big yellow 20A fuse near the bottom, 2 in from the right. After a bit of head-scratching I have it (sort of) running.

It's always the last place you look right? :)

This site is by far the best Passat resource I've seen - it costs £5 to subscribe but is worth every penny:
https://sites.google.com/site/1810martin/home

I use the empty slots in mine - from memory the empty larger fuses in mine were all permanent B+ and the smaller mini fuses in the same bay were all switched ACC - that site will tell you what they all are though.

This site is by far the best Passat resource I've seen - it costs £5 to subscribe but is worth every penny:
https://sites.google.com/site/1810martin/home

I use the empty slots in mine - from memory the empty larger fuses in mine were all permanent B+ and the smaller mini fuses in the same bay were all switched ACC - that site will tell you what they all are though.

Thanks, that's helpful. Particularly now that I've run into another problem, namely the camera stopping recording when the engine stop-starts
clicky

- I might try one of the empty acc fuse positions instead of the 12V socket. Which one did you use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you wire it in to record with the cars ignition?

Did you wire it in to record with the cars ignition?
Yes, the 12V socket is live only with the ignition on. Although I suspect that when the engine is in the process of starting the power is cut off until it is actually running.

Are you getting just quick 1 to 2 second video clips? I made the mistake of wiring it into a fuse that is live at ignition, but then no longer is after the car is started.

Are you getting just quick 1 to 2 second video clips? I made the mistake of wiring it into a fuse that is live at ignition, but then no longer is after the car is started.
No, 3 minute clips as per the settings

Hmm...perhaps I am confused then. What is the problem?

Hmm...perhaps I am confused then. What is the problem?
Whenever the engine auto-restarts after I stop at e.g. traffic lights the camera stops recording. It's probably because the power to the 12V socket is cut when the starter motor turns over. I've been advised to look for a circuit that is powered even when the starter motor is turning.

Thanks, I have been using a digital multimeter to check which feeds are live.

Back