2014, what's the newest and greatest at the moment?

kiwi

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
DVR-207
So i'm looking to spend around $150-$180 on a new dashcam.

Just wanting the heads up on new 2014 technology, and new models coming out this year?

Would also like to be linked to some quality dashcameras, was interested in the Vico-TF2+ but after seeing

some footage online it has left me a little skeptical that and the fact it's a little old now.

Aware of the Vico Marcus 1 & Marcus 3 , any sellers out there on Ebay that are reputable?

Last edited:
Uniden iGO Cam 600? Just been released, looks like a similar processor as G1w, $106AU retail.

So i'm looking to spend around $150-$180 on a new dashcam.

Just wanting the heads up on new 2014 technology, and new models coming out this year?

Would also like to be linked to some quality dashcameras, was interested in the Vico-TF2+ but after seeing

some footage online it has left me a little skeptical that and the fact it's a little old now.

Online ( youtube ) does not show full real potential and can not be taken as a final reference. All depends on each individual scenario ( light conditions, weather, car speed etc ). I have seen trully good and trusted high-end dashcams footage is worse than 40-50 cheap ones.

Aware of the Vico Marcus 1 & Marcus 3 , any sellers out there on Ebay that are reputable?

Marcus 3 is my favourite from point of view of hardware and performance @ 1080p/60fps. Only thing is to do some DIY on the bracket / mount for more stealth installation and quick attach / detatch, but thats no problem for me, I like DIY.

I've heard good things about the DOD LS430W. Anybody have one of these?

Good camera but price is too high. Look to GT680W for same features and pretty much same unit but your saving over $100!

There is no significant new things in 2014 when it come to video quality, the most important thing will proberly be the use of higher end chipsets like the Ambraella A7 chipset.
But then again comparing a camera with A7 inside to what was a high end camera in 2013 will not mean there is significant improvements in video quality.
A7 provide a possibility for a Little higher resolution and 60 FPS at 1080P, and then it provide for a littel better night footage if paired with a higher end CMOS chip.
2014 should provide us with a little more bang for our bucks if we shop wisely :)

What we really need for a major step forward in dashcams is significant better CMOS chips, much more light sensitive than current ones are.

You are correct that the CMOS is more of a limiting factor right now, new solutions are coming to market though so expect to see improvements throughout the year as this matures

Good camera but price is too high. Look to GT680W for same features and pretty much same unit but your saving over $100!

Isn't the RX300 basically the same camera as the GT680W but with an improved battery life? 100mAh is keeping me away, that battery can easily die within a year, the Rx300's got a 500mAh battery, should last a good bit longer.

Isn't the RX300 basically the same camera as the GT680W but with an improved battery life? 100mAh is keeping me away, that battery can easily die within a year, the Rx300's got a 500mAh battery, should last a good bit longer.
They don't sell RX300, so they won't recommend it:)
Yes. Rx300 is the same camera with different appearance and bigger battery. Video quality of this model is also great for that price. But there are reported some problems with GPS modules attached to them. Hopefully there was only a one faulty batch.

One of the problem with the RX300 GPS modules was wrongly connected wires inside the GPS unit. It was easy to correct. But that should be sorted out now. There was also some problem with the first GPS modules that diden't worked "outside asia", or something like that. But now they ship another high quality module.

I have one RX300 with GPS & it works fine. Have placed an order for a second one.

I am looking forward to take a look at the Ambarella A7 based Mini 0803. That could be a nice one.

I'm about to order the RX300 non-branded version, has no GPS to begin with. I'm not too interested in GPS anyway so that's not a huge issue for me.

Yes same quality for both units.. Improved battery? Bigger size doesn't mean its improved really. We have seen battery failures in all sizes. Usually if they are going to fail it happens fast and the result is the puffy looking battery.
Battery is there only to complete the last file save once 12v power is cut.

They don't sell RX300, so they won't recommend it:)
Yes. Rx300 is the same camera with different appearance and bigger battery. Video quality of this model is also great for that price. But there are reported some problems with GPS modules attached to them. Hopefully there was only a one faulty batch.
Hey at least tag me if your gonna bad mouth haha :eek:
GPS modules are all fixed up now! We didn't carry this model for simple reason that it is just too close of a model to the Gt680W... Oh and I can't stand IR LED lights, especially useless ones.

Yes same quality for both units.. Improved battery? Bigger size doesn't mean its improved really. We have seen battery failures in all sizes. Usually if they are going to fail it happens fast and the result is the puffy looking battery.
Battery is there only to complete the last file save once 12v power is cut.

No, by that I mean the normal deterioration time of the battery. 100mAh will deteriorate to an unusable rating (a miliamp-hour rating not high enough to keep it on while it does the last save) faster than the 500mAh battery will. I understand the quality of both batteries in a production sense isn't different, but the capacity sure is.

You'll get more charges and usage out of the 500mAh battery, 100mAh is scary low for an application like this. Example of what I mean if my explanation isn't up to par: If the cameras require at least 5mAh (not a real number) to shut down and save everything correctly, and if you're starting at 100mAh, you get to 5mAh much faster than you would if you start at 500mAh.

No, by that I mean the normal deterioration time of the battery. 100mAh will deteriorate to an unusable rating (a miliamp-hour rating not high enough to keep it on while it does the last save) faster than the 500mAh battery will. I understand the quality of both batteries in a production sense isn't different, but the capacity sure is.

You'll get more charges and usage out of the 500mAh battery, 100mAh is scary low for an application like this.
DOD GSE550 used a battery around this size and had very good life, most customers who stay in touch are over 2 years now.
Did you order the unbranded unit?

You'll get more charges and usage out of the 500mAh battery, 100mAh is scary low for an application like this. Example of what I mean if my explanation isn't up to par: If the cameras require at least 5mAh (not a real number) to shut down and save everything correctly, and if you're starting at 100mAh, you get to 5mAh much faster than you would if you start at 500mAh.
Corrections DOD GSE550 is 190mah.. Still though, they did well

DOD GSE550 used a battery around this size and had very good life, most customers who stay in touch are over 2 years now.
Did you order the unbranded unit?

No, not yet. I might wait for the 0803, as it looks sleeker/smaller and the GPS mount is much better than the supplied GPS antenna w/ the RX300/GT680W.

Going back/fourth between getting one w/ GPS or w/o GPS. Lol.

Last edited:
Back