2014, what's the newest and greatest at the moment?

Vicovation is a reliable company.

You are correct that the CMOS is more of a limiting factor right now, new solutions are coming to market though so expect to see improvements throughout the year as this matures
So the best advice you'd give a noob right now is to hang-tight and wait to get a dash cam? My guess is maybe same time next year which give forums and testers enough info from the early adopters to know how the new cams are doing in terms of low light performance?

No I'd still say get a camera now, better to have a camera than not, an unfortunate reality of the world we live in where you need to protect your own interests
This. At the very least get something like a G1W while to wait for something like the camera jokiin is releasing or the Marcus 3 to get ironed out if you want, but have something. You never know what could happen tomorrow much less in a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
This. At the very least get something like a G1W while to wait for something like the camera jokiin is releasing or the Marcus 3 to get ironed out if you want, but have something. You never know what could happen tomorrow much less in a year.
The G1W+ have their issues from what I read. 720p is useless, loose USB plug. I'm not a tinkerer so I can't do anything to remedy the latter myself. I'd like to get a dash cam where I can set-and-forget and keep for several years . one that actually does record more than 15 minutes without shutting down as most cheap dash cams do. . Obviously, night mode and FOV are the most important. As far as the motion sensor feature, that might not be a good thing because accidents do happen while sitting at a red light or sitting in traffic. In terms of installing, I don't think I can mount this device behind the rear view mirror as the windshield has many sensors there which likely would block some view.

Last edited by a moderator:
I now own 2 G1W from estore009, first one since this Jan, 2nd for a couple of weeks. Both have zero problems with anything.

G1W is a public model and built to varying standards unfortunately, some versions have been getting very cheap lately which never ends well

G1W is a public model and built to varying standards unfortunately, some versions have been getting very cheap lately which never ends well
Thanks for sharing that info. That's more enough reason not to buy this unit. While one can buy an extended warranty from a third party like Share Square, the ongoing risk and hassle isn't worth it to me. I'd rather pay a bit more and get something reliable.

If you must be this model then go from a known source like Foxoffer or Spytec etc where they use the better spec versions

I definitely don't need to have this model. Just a basic easy to no frills unit with motion detection, great quality night recording, wide angle, and an average speed rating (less than Class 10 memory cards) plus easily mountable without any mods.

I am also looking at something that is a little future proof that will allow us to run it 24/7. However, I imagine that will bring it's own share of issues as some PSU units I have read have been known to kill your battery.

The G1W+ have their issues from what I read. 720p is useless,.......
Do you mean G1W+ 720p is useless or 720p is useless in general? If the latter I don't agree.

If 1080p or higher resolutions cameras doesn't give you better details (like reading car licens plates), and often they don't, I see no point in using higher resolution cameras. A 720p camera will have (much) lower bitrate and a decent player/viewer will usually have the option to scale from 720p to 1080p.

Do you mean G1W+ 720p is useless or 720p is useless in general? If the latter I don't agree.

If 1080p or higher resolutions cameras doesn't give you better details (like reading car licens plates), and often they don't, I see no point in using higher resolution cameras. A 720p camera will have (much) lower bitrate and a decent player/viewer will usually have the option to scale from 720p to 1080p.
Are you sure? How 720p can compare to 1080p? Scale up is fake ways. Originally, It has totally different quality. Hope you should not give wrong information to user.

Are you sure? How 720p can compare to 1080p? Scale up is fake ways. Originally, It has totally different quality. Hope you should not give wrong information to user.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's often the case.

Today I did a side-by-side comparison of Marcus 1 (140°/1080p) and Marcus 3 (160°/1296p).

You can see the two screendumps here.
http://faale.name/bilkamera_dashcam_test/mc1.jpg
http://faale.name/bilkamera_dashcam_test/mc3.jpg
I don't know what's the problem with MC3, maybe the firmware and it has potential for improving, but as for now I had choose MC1 for my own personal use.

Tomorrow I'll test MC1 in 720p + 1080p and MC3 in 1080p + 1296p.

Sensor resolution is one thing, but the rest of the hardware (incl. optics) and firmware need to be of higher class as well. My impression is many vendors doesn't care much for expensive hardware that can't be used in marketing, ie good optics.

Vico-Marcus 4 and Vico-Marcus 5 is the latest and greatest in 2014 now.
I just buy Marcus 5 in vicodirect.com

Back