2015 Honda Odyssey: No ground available?

VisualCSharp

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been installing my new dashcam in my 2015 Honda Odyssey. I installed it on the passenger side of the windshield with the wire running to the passenger-side fuse box, which is at the right side of the footwell. I decided to run it passenger-side to keep the wire out of the driver's side of the car, just in case it jostles loose. Unfortunately, I cannot find a single bare metal bolt with which to ground the dashcam! There are two bolts securing the fuse box assembly but they are inaccessible to me; I'm not a mechanic so I'm hesitant to remove the assembly just to get at the bolt. There are other bolts but they are attached to what looks like painted or rust-proofed metal. Unfortunately, I don't have a grinder, metal drill, metal sander, or welding torch with which I could attach a new ground bolt.

I've completed the entire installation including cutting off the cigarette lighter adapter and exposing the black and red wires, except for the following:
  • Stripping the black and red wires
  • Crimping a ring terminal to the black wire
  • Grounding the black wire ring terminal
  • Crimping the red wire to the fuse tap I have
  • Finding an appropriate ignition-only fuse and inserting the tap
I've been thinking of calling some area auto shops to see if they could finish the install for me. Who do you folks recommend I contact? Would a standard auto repair place be a good choice or would it be better to contact a shop specializing in stereo installation? I'd think they'd be very knowledgeable about custom electrical work.

FWIW I'm in the Knoxville, TN area.

Attachments

• IMG_20190710_175555939[1].jpg
    IMG_20190710_175555939[1].jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20190710_175612300[1].jpg
    IMG_20190710_175612300[1].jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20190710_175616884[1].jpg
    IMG_20190710_175616884[1].jpg
    338 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20190710_175629891[1].jpg
    IMG_20190710_175629891[1].jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 18
I looked and couldn't find any! That's the purpose of this thread, sadly. :(

What about seat bolt?
Also why don't you use "Add-a-circuit fuse tap" to avoid stripping factory wire?

Attachments

• bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Okay, an update: The bolt that holds the passenger-side fuse assembly does work as a ground. However, I have run into a new problem: I can't find a switched fuse that also allows me to plug in a tap!

Referring to my picture above, all the fuses on the outside of the assembly (the right side) are constant fuses. Some of the fuses on the inside are switched; unfortunately, I can't fit a tap there because the correct tap orientation has the wire hitting that raised plastic piece to the side. I searched for "car fuse extenders" but I can't find anything. If I could somehow extend the fuse so it clears the plastic piece, I could orient the tap correctly. FWIW, the line side of the left bank of fuses is the right prong.

@know610: I'm only stripping the wire that came with the dashcam, after I cut off the cigarette lighter adapter. That part was easy. At this point, the only thing that remains is somehow tapping a switched fuse. Everything else works.

Attachments

• fuse-box.jpg
    fuse-box.jpg
    571.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
What about empty fuse slot? Did you test if any are switch fuse?

Or else extend the wire to driver side fuse if any. Maybe it might be easy to plug.. I would solder the wire instead of crimp if plan to extend. just an opinion.

I did test all the open sockets. Amazingly, some of the sockets don't appear to have terminals in them; they're just bare plastic. Cost-cutting measure, I guess.

Regarding your link, yes! That seems to be exactly what I need! Thanks so much. :)

Back